Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC - ARRI, SIDE BY SIDE FACTS.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 EPIC - ARRI, SIDE BY SIDE FACTS. 

Sent to me by a few people now...
    You can't beat the factory specs from both companies in a side by side. There are no lies then.

I didn't know that the ARRI at it's very best RAW setting was only 2880 pixels @ 30 fps.
    And in video mode (PRO RES mode) it's technically just a HD video camera instead of a RAW capture camera.
    and almost everyone shoots it in PRO RES mode...
    So really it's a little over half of what an EPIC is capable of in RAW Mode, a 1/4 on an EPIC if you shoot in PRORES mode, and cost twice as much. and people still buy it?...

To me it looks like Alexa's equal maybe the little Scarlet? or at best the EPIC S...
    I think who ever buys the Scarlets (when they finally come out) should know that there little cameras are equal to ARRI's best.

By looking at these side by side Facts, EPIC completely kicks its arse, and some.
    Plus with more options being turned on in EPIC every couple of weeks, the gap is going to get further and further..

Very interesting stuff. I wonder if people every read this stuff. I know I do when buying a new car.
    (James Camera, Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, Steve Spielberg, Steven Sodenberg... obviously do)

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only sharing.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

My new desktop background.
    www.digitalshakedown.com

EPIC-X #204 "JIGSAW" + SCARLET-X #1097
    DIGITAL SHAKEDOWN - A FULL SERVICE PRODUCTION COMPANY - Concept to Delivery

hahahaha.... thats funny
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Yep.

Thanks Mark, this is a big reason why the marketing push from Arri has been focusing on minimizing the importance of specs ("we are not interested in the resolution race") and focus on "aesthetic" that is subjective and unprovable.

It's largely because their specs are dramatically inferior, as your chart so effectively illustrates.

What's even more impressive to me is that is Red has to fully earn every high profile customer, not just based on specs but on performance and image quality -- the same thing Arri purports to be superior in. In other words, you don't get Jim Cameron, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott or others for any reason other than aesthetic quality and performance.

Whereas with the Alexa - although I know it does make nice images - I believe they also get some automatic adoption based on Arri's "tradition" and brand perception amongst DP's ....
    Last edited by AnthonyFlores; 06-12-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Anthony Flores
    Writer - Technologist

"Film is incredibly democratic and accessible, its probably the best option if you actually want to change the world, not just re-decorate it." - Banksy

hahaha...

AWESOME comparison!

I will be bookmarking this fact sheet. Thanks for sharing.

Prost,
    Rich

PS I wonder if this thread will explode. I am going to but some popcorn :)
    3 Epics! M462, X108, X1266
    Epic 3D Beamsplitter 3D Rig-FIZ controled, 3D S/S rigs, Excellent 8ton G&E Truck!
    2 RedOnes #115 & #3090
    Local 600-D.P.
    www.highimpactpictures.com

Banned
    Isn't someone out there supposed to be doing a side by side comparison with Alexa and Epic? I wonder if that happened yet

Looking forward to a real-world side by side comparison of Alexa and Epic. We all know that charts won't be enough, and of course the obvious outcome of resolution.

We need broad daylight shots, lots of colors, great color grading and even natural light. All of which should make either camera shine.
    www.digitalshakedown.com

EPIC-X #204 "JIGSAW" + SCARLET-X #1097
    DIGITAL SHAKEDOWN - A FULL SERVICE PRODUCTION COMPANY - Concept to Delivery

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Darge View Post
    Isn't someone out there supposed to be doing a side by side comparison with Alexa and Epic? I wonder if that happened yet
    I think I've done about a dozen of them already... all of them different. Everybody should be free to form their own opinion from their own tests when the opportunity is there. Most people have a horse in the race [or at least a favorite], so many tests are skewed.

This diagram is fun but it is undeniably skewed to the RED side. It's hard to present a "fact sheet" with a giant header joking about how one camera trounces the other.

There's no doubt that I've picked a favorite between the two... but the Alexa is a damn good camera.

I say we all enjoy the humor and try to prevent this thread from becoming explosively dramatic.