Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC-S...

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Kris/Jim

There is no Australian Tariff on cameras but which ever way you physically decide to bring it in you will have to pay GST. If you have some of business structure and are registered for GST this is offset against GST you collect from your customers. Similarly if you are a business and you use a customs broker to clear the goods for you the costs are tax deductable.

John

Kris/Jim

What is often identified as Fedex fees also includes GST which they collect as part of the clearance process - I think the current charges directly applicable to Fedex for clearance and associated documentation is around $55.20. You may be pinged for Tariff on some accessories (not a camera) but it is only 5% and if it is of US manufacture I think this is where you win from the US/Australia Free Trade agreement and the Tariff becomes zero

John

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    I would say they are trying to avoid paying import duties etc.
    YES! the least amount our dictator gets, the better

Hi John,

Fed Ex/DHL always call to collect the GST separately, at least in my case they always have.

The real issue here is there is a misconception that it somehow costs less to go pick it up rather than ship. Unless you are there for another reason this is not the case.

Even so, you would have to deal with the 9%+ state tax, which would add thousands by itself.

The Red One and components and camera were very heavy, still it was only about AUD$550 landed when the smoke cleared.

You will never see an airfare that low, much less when you add all of the other expenses like car, hotel etc.

Sure, if you want $550 off your next holiday, then go for it, but the saving itself definitely doesn't justify it, especially with the $2,500 in State tax they will throw on in California. Again, I'm sure you could get that refunded but you are now jumping through hoops or paying someone to deal with it.

And why? Oh yeah, to try to save $550 on shipping.

Think of how much you charge per hour and why you are now putting your valuable time into finding a way around this.

As for bringing professional equipment back in the country illegally, that's up to you but shouldn't factor into this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Winzar View Post
    Kris/Jim

What is often identified as Fedex fees also includes GST which they collect as part of the clearance process - I think the current charges directly applicable to Fedex for clearance and associated documentation is around $55.20. You may be pinged for Tariff on some accessories (not a camera) but it is only 5% and if it is of US manufacture I think this is where you win from the US/Australia Free Trade agreement and the Tariff becomes zero

John

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Sure, if you want $550 off your next holiday, then go for it, but the saving itself definitely doesn't justify it, .
    You are right on every account.. but for you that do want to come to the studio to pick up your Epic.. I invite you into me and Jim's office to watch whatever footage we have on the RED RAY box at the time playing back in 4K on our 40 foot screen :)

Thats gotta be worth something :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    You are right on every account.. but for you that do want to come to the studio to pick up your Epic.. I invite you into me and Jim's office to watch whatever footage we have on the RED RAY box at the time playing back in 4K on our 40 foot screen :)

sweeeth ... (!) ... :-)

Okay, priceless!

I've flown over JUST to attend Red open days so I absolutely recognize the value in this!

I'll bring the Tim Tams....

Hi John,

Fed Ex/DHL always call to collect the GST separately, at least in my case they always have.

The real issue here is there is a misconception that it somehow costs less to go pick it up rather than ship. Unless you are there for another reason this is not the case.

Even so, you would have to deal with the 9%+ state tax, which would add thousands by itself.

The Red One and components and camera were very heavy, still it was only about AUD$550 landed when the smoke cleared.

You will never see an airfare that low, much less when you add all of the other expenses like car, hotel etc.

Sure, if you want $550 off your next holiday, then go for it, but the saving itself definitely doesn't justify it, especially with the $2,500 in State tax they will throw on in California. Again, I'm sure you could get that refunded but you are now jumping through hoops or paying someone to deal with it.

And why? Oh yeah, to try to save $550 on shipping.

Think of how much you charge per hour and why you are now putting your valuable time into finding a way around this.

As for bringing professional equipment back in the country illegally, that's up to you but shouldn't factor into this discussion.
    I think I need to go back to school - I either missunderstood what you said or did not espress myself the way I intended. Whatever - you have said it all and I agree with you 100% and never intended to deliver a message that suggested otherwise.

John

That's one experience that can't get old. Such a blessing to have the great memories of listening to you guys just talk. ;)