Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: All the bad news...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 All the bad news... 
    All the bad news that I can think of…

1. Supply chain issues. This continues to drive us crazy. We have just gotten word of more delays with several key components from Japan for EPIC-X. We are now looking at late July to receive parts and for the production line to ramp up. We can make a lot of cameras… just need some critical parts.

2. Lens issues with Fixed Scarlet. We have lens production issues that need to be resolved before we can begin production. My bet is September.

3. Features. We continue to enable features in both EPIC and Scarlet… but every feature is not enabled at this point. We are enabling new features every week. Expect us to continue that trend and improve the features of the cameras steadily. EPIC and Scarlet share an unified code base so what gets enabled in EPIC gets enabled in Scarlet.

Engineering cameras that are as complicated and spec-intensive as these is not easy. We have set time targets and missed them. However, we have not missed any spec targets. To the contrary, we have exceeded them. Both EPIC and Scarlet produce images that are much better then we ever anticipated.

We are transparent. For better or for worse. We acknowledge that we are in uncharted territory. We have never done this. Neither has anyone else. While we hope that you can appreciate pushing everything to the Nth degree, we also know you need to make plans. No one wants to finish development and begin shipping more than I do. No one. Truly. But there is a reality that we bump up against. Our commitment to our customers mandates that we tell the bad news right along side the good news. So there you have it.

Now… if you want some good news… EPIC-M continues to go out in measured numbers and the images from these cameras are unparalleled.

There are far fewer people posting about missing EVFs because we are shipping regular amounts each month.

REDmags and R1 SSD Modules are shipping in reasonable quantities.

EPIC continues to be the choice for the highest budget features… because the images this camera makes are legendary. "This is the best looking footage I have ever shot... these are the best images I have ever seen!" John Schwartzman, Cinematographer of "The Amazing Spiderman".

We have just enabled an EPIC anamorphic mode with more pixels than 4.5K as well as 2K at 300fps (an example of beating specs) in the latest EPIC-M firmware build (for free).

Greame's Magic Motion HDRx is soon to be enabled in free REDCINE-X application...

We have a complete assembly line in California ready and waiting… just need parts.

The extra development time has been well spent. What we are fixing now helps every future customer.

I wish we had some traits of the big guys… but I wouldn't trade our program for anyone's.

God love us all…

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 06-04-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Senior Member Benoît-Joan Clariana-Roig's Avatar
    That's OK. More time to save money. :)

I hope to be able to shoot the 0G movie with a Scarlet anyway.
    BenJ - Operator/Colorist/Editor
    benoit.cr -at- hotmail.fr

Thanks for the update! glad to hear about scarlet!
    My Dream: Planet Earth 2 in 4k

2. Scarlet being late-er sucks. but this is bound to be the single most pragmatically revolutionary camera ever released, yet... it isn't late, it was never supposed to be made!! Some CEOs might have physically harmed you (or had a heart attack) if you said they had to put out something like that at this price

Glad to hear about 300fps 2k being enabled already! and 4.5k+ ana mode!

Let's see who is the first to post 300fps, or some panavision/Hawk ana goodness
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

All worth it in the end. I saw the Epic reel at CineGear today in its full 4k glory and it blew me away, congrats of building an awesome camera

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    We wish we only had good news... but then we would be perfect. We are far from it. What we are is a company that is working 24/7 to change the industry. That is not an easy task...

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

As long as we get EPIC for the next summer :) i am happy. Keep up the good work. In red we trust
    Nikolai Pigarev

MX, EPICs, MoVi, Qtake - all the toys in Moscow, Russia

nikolaipigarev (AT) me (DOT) com

Hi!

No one else will be as happy with the endresults as all the red users. truly.
    that's the main reason why i think that a small delay like this should not matter.
    without RED we all would still go to chiropractics to treat our backs from
    carrying bulky devices that deliver allmost 2k...

Martin, 267

EPIC-X
    http://vimeo.com/martinjager

Thanks for the update.

But you must relax, a month more a month less will not obscure what you are achieving!
    KARILLA IDO
    OPUS DIGITAL LAB
    TEL AVIV
    ISRAEL

September is fine with me. Rather have a Scarlet you are happy with then some beta-type camera that needs constant babysitting. I have full faith I'll have a Scarlet in hand by end of 2011. Looking forward to all the development over the summer. Also, get some sleep!
    UCSC Film Major
    Vimeo
    Flickr