Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 1st 24 hours with an Epic

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    @ Brice
    No link, until it's done later this summer, but I might put it out for initial response before pulling it...

On another note, I'll be posting some HDRX niceties later today...

Stay tuned
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

2. #12 HDRx, part 1 
    So...

This was the day of dynamix...

And of course I tested HDRx under different conditions.

I have a lot of thoughts about this feature, but will reserve them for later. Maybe in this thread. But I DO think this is the most promising and groundbreaking technology presented with the Epic. At the same time, the implementation - as in RCX, is still in many ways in its infancy.

I do understand why Ivan (I think) from Light Iron said he preferred to do the blend manually, and Jim (again: I think) said the RCX implementation was "for quick proxies", or something to that nature.

Unfortunately this clip is neither sexy, good looking, nor particularily funny, but it's kind of informative.
    (and, yep - I'm in there somewhere. A pint to the ones who can recognize me...)

And here is the downloadlink to the movie examlple:
    http://gunleik.com/tests/hdrx/hdrx_01.mov

I have examples of much better and much worse implementations, but as a startingpoint, I like this.

Discuss! :-)

Cheers!

G

Looks like your having fun mate :)
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Gunleik,

I think you need to brighten-up the combined HDRx footage a little more.
    The A track seems properly exposed, but when you add the X track - it all goes a bit too dim inside the shop.
    Of course, brightening the scene needs to be done without "blowing up" the outside, which is what you used HDRx for in the first place.
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

@ Mark: Yes!

@ Eric: sure...
    I'll maybe discuss exactly that in a little while...

6. #16 Overexposure - 01 
    Most cams I know, start doing weird stuff when the exposure borders on clip.

Especially skintones seem to suffer as they are exposed farther awway from a cameras comfort-zone, so one of the first things I wanted to look at, was how the Epic handled this.

I started 4 stops over, and stopped down to "base" exposure, one stop at the time.

+4 stops:

+3 stops:

+2 stops:

+1 stop

Base exposure

No alterations done in RCX from the camerasettings, except from a bit of wb adjustment...

In my eyes, this the most beautifull looking overexposure I have ever seen on a digital camera, bar none.

Yes, I would like to hear comments to what you see!

The slight color-oddities seen in + 2 and +1 are due to the jpg compression and in no way the Epics fault....

More to follow....

7. #17 HDRx and overexposure - single subject 
    ... but I wouldn't have done that without recording an X-channel, would I?

Of course not.

Here are the same images with the X channel applied to all, including the base exposure.

For all but the base exposure, I lowered the ISO from 800 to 640 in post...

+4 stops

+3 stops

+2 stops

+1 stop

Base exposure + slight X-channel

Soooooo... that leads to some conclusions....

A bit more than: HDRx is nice and Tuva is a lovely girl...

Wow...HDRx allows for a very nice recovery of the highlights.

I wonder what would happen to the image with +4 stops if you tried recovering the highlights in post using only the A channel, much like you would try to do with a single RAW still image from a DSLR.
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

So... I'll do some more HDRx stuff later on (other images with different scenarios).

This has become a more of "notes for an initial article" while I go through the files, than anything else. Hope that's fine. And I'd love to hear some of the more experienced Epic users thoughts on what I think I see.

Anyhow, a couple of temporal conclusions by what I've seen so far:.

1. The Epic clips more elegantly than any other digital camera I have seen
    2. That's what makes HDRx thinkable. It wouldn't look very good if any or all of the channels went into overdrive when approaching clip, because in that blend, the nasties would still be there. The cleanliness of the clip is a premise for HDRx
    3. The way the controlls currently work, it's not suited for all occations "straight out of RCX". In the first case, where I basically wanted the whole image to work, and both exposures had extreme high and low exposed levels in it, it doesn't really work the way I want it to work because of the linear (?) blending of the two images, which basically just weighs which image has most influence over the image. The faces are sometimes exposed quite low, even in the A-track, which makes the +4 stops track being quite (and here we're talking: relatively) noisy and unprecise. I would love to see some kind of limiter/knee adjustment to how the tracks mix. So that you could controll that bellow a level of X the weighing of the X-track fades towards zero over a number of levels towards y.
    I think that might solve a lot of the preliminary issues I see.
    4. When you have a clear exposure recovery goal, like the skintones in the second example, the current approach works extremely well.
    5. HDRx is probably going to be as important for RED as Redcode has been and RedRay will be. It's pure dope.

OK

Move on...

Wow! I see many possibilities for future post tools using HDRx. Can't wait to see what else you got Gunleik. Thanks for sharing.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)