Thread: What colour Grading system should I upgrade to?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What colour Grading system should I upgrade to? 
    Hi All

I have been finishing on Avid Symphony since Version 1.0. I love it, i haven't found a system faster or more productive than Symphony.

Here is the catch and my question.... Since I am so verse on the AVID system and I need to finish at 4k, what grading system do i need to upgrade to?

I have heard a lot about Resolve, Scratch, Baselight and lustre, but being so used to grading on AVID symphony, what do you all recommend would be the easiest transition to go to?

I also have an AVID MEDIA ENGINE/ISIS and the system would need to integrate into this as we finish a lot of tv commercials and AVID DNX-185X.

This new system would have to be able to finish feature films at 4K and we would have to have the ability to deliver to the distributors in what ever format they require.

We currently finish features at 1:1 uncompressed AVID codec at 4:4:4 and output to HDCAM SR with 8 track audio. But we are starting to get requests to finish at 4K.

Sorry forgot to mention that the new system has to be fully compatible with RED and EPIC as I have 1 rocket card at the moment but I don't mind buying more.

Thanks in advance.
    Adam Eden
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    Dragon M 8xx, Epic X 25xx, Arri Alexa XT 4:3 Plus, Rocket X, Helix (Seal Team)
    Steadicam and heaps of cool sh*t

Pablo 4K or Baselight. Seems like you need both a finishing system combined with a color grading system.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with EPIC-X Camera #721 & RED One #6353, RPP, RED Rocket, RED 18-50 & Oconnor 2575C. Davinci Resolve, FSI LM-2461W & Mac Pro 12 core. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/

If you want a system that gives you full editorial/visual effects capability as well as grading, then Quantel iQ/Pablo is really the only option. This will be the most direct transition for you into a system that offers a similar workflow to Symphony.

- Oliver
    OliverPeters.com
    digitalfilms.wordpress.com

I agree with Oliver that you seem to be looking for a hero box, one that can do everything well. Assuming that your finances are appropriate for these devices, my recommendation would probably be either Pablo (as suggested by Oliver), or Autodesk's Flame Premium package, which would give you Flame, Smoke, and Lustre on one box (hence the hero box concept), and likely be considerably more economical than Quantel's product. You could also use non-proprietary storage, an option you won't have with Pablo. But either one would work well, it's more a matter of what you and your artists prefer in terms of a tool set, where their experience lies, and your clientele's familiarity with either one or the other. Another option, if you want to do a little systems engineering, would be a combination of Smoke or Avid DS, and Resolve or Baselight. This kind of setup would move you out of the hero box mentality, but in return would give you more workflow flexibility. Of course, to do true real time 4K work in Baselight requires the Baselight 8, at least for the moment, and that's a pretty pricey proposition...

Davinchi Resolve... never look back. :)
    $990 Dollars... try it on your laptop first then decide to get a full blown desk.
    If you want easy... this is it.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...avinciresolve/
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...olve/software/
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

RED DRAGON #456, RED EPIC X #612, RED EPIC X #1137

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    Davinchi Resolve... never look back. :)
    $990 Dollars... try it on your laptop first then decide to get a full blown desk.
    If you want easy... this is it.
    It's going to cost a lot more than that to set up a system that is 4K capable, especially for anything other than Red source. Of course, if a 4K archival render is all that is needed, any of these devices (plus Assimilate Scratch) would accommodate that. But to play back conformed/color graded/titled and finished material at 4K interactively with clients is going to take, shall we say, a bit more horsepower than you're going to get from a Mac based Resolve. Not to mention that at that resolution, you still need a finishing solution, which Resolve really is not.

Not everybody is looking only at the price tag. Not that you are, but it definitely doesn't sound like the original poster is.

We use Pablo. It's the only system that does everything you're asking for in one box. Everything else would most likely need to got through a Smoke before and/or after the color system.
    Ian Vertovec
    Supervising Digital Colorist
    LIGHT IRON
    www.lightiron.com

I think it could be argued that Flame Premium also offers everything in one box, just not in one application. Hence why I brought it up as a "hero box" alternative. Not as integrated as Pablo (can't be, it's ultimately 3 separate applications), not quite as directed in terms of a DI hero box, but similar capabilities. Actually superior in terms of VFX (after all, it's Flame), but similar in terms of conforming, editing, and grading.

Mark

can you load resolve onto a new macbook pro?
    EPIC DRAGON / RED MX / ALEXA .

"If you want to be free just be free, do not ask anyone.
    You must have a hypothesis of your own fate and follow it without submitting yourself and by ignoring the circumstances". Andrei Tarkovsky.

Adam,

Why not Avid DS? It conforms very well w/ Symphony/MC. It can do 4K. It has okay CC tools, but not nearly as fast as a Baselight. But you can do 5.1, titles, cut, VFX, etc. all in one box.

At $10K (which includes a copy of MC), it's a freaking steal, esp. when you compare it to the price of a Pablo.