Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Jim Cameron buys...

Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 301
  1. #291  
    Senior Member Lorenzo Straight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFlores View Post
    Given what you've said Gavin, I would guess the actual extra cost for 4k in relative % to the overall budgetary costs of a $200-300 million film aren't that significant. Or at least not enough of deterrent to at least product a 4k version for theaters that can show it -- or distribution once 4k becomes more prevalent. I think we have to remember that by 2013 we could have a lot more 4k compatible TV's in the home as well.
    So basically, the rest of the world of filmmaking need to catch up, because Red has gone and made these totally unnecessarily large sensors! Now Jim, darn it. With great power comes great responsibility. Maybe Red should help software companies make their renderer's 4K ready. How could Red expect everyone to step up their game? The nerve!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #292  
    Senior Member Nuka Wlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    340
    Thanks for the great and insightful replies, guys! Now, I'm not nearly as worried as I was before ;D

    I'm really excited to hear about the 4k+3k/2k (where appropriate) hybrid pipeline, which of course makes a lot of sense. If you SHOULD compromise - then only at the "sweet spots" where no one's gonna notice anyway.

    I don't care what anyone thinks of AVATAR, I love that film and now I can't help but to anticipate to see Pandora in 4K - at least in some shots in the sequel :) And I also hope that they'll go with the same pipeline on THE HOBBIT!!

    @Lorenzo - Hahahaha!! :D Yea, now RED really needs to create 4K super fast rendering hardware for post houses. GO RED!!! ;D
    Last edited by Nuka Wlk; 05-08-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo
    NUKA WLK | WRITER & DIRECTOR
    SHOWREEL:
    http://vimeo.com/nuka/showreel2012
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #293  
    Senior Member Tom Greenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Straight View Post
    So basically, the rest of the world of filmmaking need to catch up, because Red has gone and made these totally unnecessarily large sensors! Now Jim, darn it. With great power comes great responsibility. Maybe Red should help software companies make their renderer's 4K ready. How could Red expect everyone to step up their game? The nerve!
    This is a constant issue in our industry, especially affecting post-production and distribution workflows. One part of the process has a technological breakthrough, and leapfrogs everything else, and then the rest of the pieces have to play catch-up. As soon as resolution increases, the following happens: render times go up, files get bigger, bandwidth is too limited, file transfers take longer, media storage isn't adequate, video processing can't keep up, monitors can't handle display needs, and so on. We went through this process when SD video moved to 720p HD, went through it again with the move to 1080p, and are beginning to go through it again as the industry embraces 4K. As Jim says, all things are subject to change. In this industry, change is inevitable, so you better learn to love it!
    Last edited by Tom Greenberg; 05-08-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    BRAINCELL CAMERA- Michigan - Renting Weapon CF Helium, Epic-W Helium, Alexa Studio, Alexa Mini
    Primes: Sigma Cine, Celere HS, Cooke MiniS4/i, Leica R, Zeiss Contax, Zeiss S16 Superspeeds
    Zooms: Optimo 15-40, Optimo DPs, Cooke 18-100, Duclos 11-16, Zeiss S16 11-110
    Support: Ronin, EasyRig, Preston, Bright Tangerine, Teradek, FSI, Inovativ Cart
    ------
    Cinematography/Post Faculty, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #294  
    Senior Member Lorenzo Straight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Greenberg View Post
    This is a constant issue in our industry, especially affecting post-production and distribution workflows. One part of the process has a technological breakthrough, and leapfrogs everything else, and then the rest of the pieces have to play catch-up. As soon as resolution increases, the following happens: render times go up, files get bigger, bandwidth is too limited, file transfers take longer, media storage isn't adequate, video processing can't keep up, monitors can't handle display needs, and so on. We went through this process when SD video moved to 720p HD, went through it again with the move to 1080p, and are beginning to go through it again as the industry embraces 4K. As Jim says, all things are subject to change. In this industry, change is inevitable, so you better learn to love it!
    Yeah, the thinking caps need to be put on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Straight View Post
    So basically, the rest of the world of filmmaking need to catch up, because Red has gone and made these totally unnecessarily large sensors! Now Jim, darn it. With great power comes great responsibility. Maybe Red should help software companies make their renderer's 4K ready. How could Red expect everyone to step up their game? The nerve!
    Give it 2-3 years.

    Brazil + OpenRL: http://caustic.com/ *
    VRay RT: http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray2.html
    Final Render + OpenCL: http://www.cebasstation.com/?pid=hot_news&nid=378

    *Disclosure: I'm a freelance contractor for Caustic.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #296  
    Senior Member Lorenzo Straight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    Give it 2-3 years.

    Brazil + OpenRL: http://caustic.com/ *
    VRay RT: http://chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray2.html
    Final Render + OpenCL: http://www.cebasstation.com/?pid=hot_news&nid=378

    *Disclosure: I'm a freelance contractor for Caustic.
    Yeah Gavin, some really hopeful tech is headed our way. I use Lightwave and the VPR is really helpful.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts