Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Jim Cameron buys...

Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Shilnov View Post
    I think it has to do with the time and effort it takes to change lenses in a 3D rig. Takes literaly hours.

No, minutes with a good rig.

I wish people wouldn't keep propagating these myths.

How many rigs/D shoots have you worked on?

I've worked with most rigs now and minutes is all it takes.

I guess it really depends on the rig you are using. Changing lenses, re-aligning, and re-calibrating of the remote FF usually takes 10-20 minutes in my experience with a element technica rig and SI2Ks... If you have to re-program offsets for the witness marks, it can add a few minutes (Unless you have a remote FF that can save profiles for different lens sets).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Althaus View Post
    Changing lenses, re-aligning, and re-calibrating of the remote FF usually takes 10-20 minutes in my experience.

Exactly!

Not hours.

I just want to amke it very clear that there is Jim Cameron the film-maker and Jim Cameron the part owner of a facility company.

These are very different animals.

Otto Nemenz and Clairmont regularly buy dozens of cameras and nobody wonders what film they're going to use "thier" camweras on, we all know it's a business.

Just like Cameron Pace is, a growing company in the facilities rental market.

Learn your business, please!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffboyle View Post
    Learn your business, please!
    Word up. Cameron didn't get to be in the position he is in today by making dummy decisions. He invests wisely in technology.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffboyle View Post
    No, minutes with a good rig.

I wish people wouldn't keep propagating these myths.

How many rigs/D shoots have you worked on?

I've worked with most rigs now and minutes is all it takes.
    I agree. I haven't worked on a 3D shoot yet but hour's sounds insane. It shouldn't take that long to change out a lens. If it does someone's a little under qualified.

What I was trying to say is that if we have one rig and change the glass 5-6 times a day we lose at least an hour, an hour when the cam is not ready to roll. Which is an issue on big productions, being much more costly than the expenses associated with the camera. Which gives EPIC one of its many niches on big sets, not just the unprecedented resolution in raw and all the rest, but this unprecedented level of affordability when you can have a rig for just that piece of glass. Kind of like in action photography, a different camera house for each of your lenses, but in 3D 4K FF RAW cinematography. Sounds like good times to me Sorry if I was a little unclear previously

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Shilnov View Post
    Which gives EPIC one of its many niches on big sets, not just the unprecedented resolution in raw and all the rest, but this unprecedented level of affordability when you can have a rig for just that piece of glass. Kind of like in action photography, a different camera house for each of your lenses, but in 3D 4K FF RAW cinematography. Sounds like good times to me Sorry if I was a little unclear previously

Good recovery but still no win!

How much does a 3ality rig cost?

I think you'll find that it's significantly more than a couple of cameras, then of course there's the software license for it on top.

A top of the line 3D rig is not cheap, figures from one of the rig manufacturers show a total cost of around $280 for either of the leading rigs complete with Epics. You can work out for your self how much the rig is as part of that.

A heavier Element Technica Atom, no cameras, lenses etc, lists at $84K with another $20K for the lightweight version.

I agree that saving time is vital on a movie set and I believe that's one of the reasons that the 3ality rigs are so popular on the big movies, you can safely use zooms with them with no alignment issues.

Hi Geoff,

I wish I could tell you how much a 3ality rig costs (in ). Unfortunately I can t buy one as ARRI Media have an exclusive deal in the UK....(according to 3ality) :(
    Patric Ralston
    www.favarental.co.uk

Just to clarify, that a 3D rig cost is not of what the actually rig body costs, but what the entire operational rig costs, same as for an Epic,
    the body might cost 28k but to make it work you need a Lens, a View finder or LCD, batteries, cables etc, same for a 3D rig,
    I will not of course discuss publicly pricing of the various rigs, but if you want a 3D rig fully operational and you want one form the BIG BOYS, like ET,
    3Ality and E3D, better budget yourself above 100k... ;)better
    Writer | Producer | Director | DP