Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: KETCH ROSSi

Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 171 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
    You do understand that people psychologically equate higher frame rates with non narrative cinema, right? That is all that those who saw it are saying, that the motion cadence was not like the narrative cinematic cadence of 24fps and so it looked more like soap operas or reality TV. Several people even commented that they thought it looked great, but for things like nature documentaries.

This really isn't about you and I having a difference of opinion, the issue here is that you refuse to look at the obvious answer to why people were put off by the demo and instead look to excuses for it. I think this is mainly because of your emotional attachment to 48fps as it is the frame rate you have picked for your own film, but it doesn't really matter. People didn't like how it the 48fps looked not because the sequences were unfinished, they didn't like it for the same reason that filmmakers have wanted digital cinema cameras that shot at 24fps. People associate 24fps with narrative cinema, and 30fps+ with everything else. When you then try and do narrative cinema at 48fps, you are asking people to retrain their brains to accept something vastly different than they expect. Do you really think that come December there won't be a ton of people complaining about the way The Hobbit looks in 48fps/3D? If so, I'd love to make a gentlemen's wager about that.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas View Post
    You do understand that people psychologically equate higher frame rates with non narrative cinema, right? That is all that those who saw it are saying, that the motion cadence was not like the narrative cinematic cadence of 24fps and so it looked more like soap operas or reality TV. Several people even commented that they thought it looked great, but for things like nature documentaries.

This really isn't about you and I having a difference of opinion, the issue here is that you refuse to look at the obvious answer to why people were put off by the demo and instead look to excuses for it. I think this is mainly because of your emotional attachment to 48fps as it is the frame rate you have picked for your own film, but it doesn't really matter. People didn't like how it the 48fps looked not because the sequences were unfinished, they didn't like it for the same reason that filmmakers have wanted digital cinema cameras that shot at 24fps. People associate 24fps with narrative cinema, and 30fps+ with everything else. When you then try and do narrative cinema at 48fps, you are asking people to retrain their brains to accept something vastly different than they expect. Do you really think that come December there won't be a ton of people complaining about the way The Hobbit looks in 48fps/3D? If so, I'd love to make a gentlemen's wager about that.

I do understand it perfectly, same as what people felt with the change to HDTV's, I did felt the same, however most of the times people don't know what is good for them, no exception here.

The difference is that I DO!!

Is not that because I have pick it for my film which of course I am very passionate about it, is because what I believe, and also a small group of people, and couple of articles, will sure not be the determining part of what will happen to 48fps, same as they were not on determining the failure of HDTV, I remember those days to, no different here, and it is not just about you and I discussing our opinions, it is exactly about discussing the opinions given by others, which I disagree with, yet I completely understand, as I my self have been there filling the same, about viewing Movies in HD yet recorded and projected at 24fps.
    Producer | Director | Cinematographer

Ketch, keep in mind that a large majority of people who watch HD content do not have their TV's set to the high frequency rate as seen while watching your Samsung TV. Personally, I don't enjoy seeing the slight bit of ghosting (which is a completely other subject) I perceived...but, one could perhaps get used to it after a long while.

I'm hoping I will enjoy the high frame rate with 3D. I don't expect I will like it in 2D though.
    DIRECTOR • DP • EDITOR | DubaiFilm

INSTAGRAM | @JosephHutson

8K HELIUM - Now Available

The answer is "No" 100% of the time you don't ask.

The higher frame rate on 3D stereo is a cheap way to try to get around the annoying flicker feel caused from the poor tech. 48p looks video 30p looks video as well. 24p with 1/48 of black between each frame is looking the best I think, and most people trough history.

I have seen high def 150fps playback (playing from ram in the flame) and that looks like out a window/real etc but it's not at all pleasing to the eyes. 24p lets you see each frame which is simply looking better.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

This is why im in the arts....At my core i truly believe in creative freedom...I understand the need to give people what they want to make money...So what im saying is if you have money or dont mind living without it the worst you could do is not be creative. Theres nothing wrong with having mental sets we all do just encourage those pushing the limits you mite see something new.

lol i didn't mean for that to rhyme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(psychology)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Starkey View Post
    This is why im in the arts....At my core i truly believe in creative freedom...I understand the need to give people what they want to make money...So what im saying is if you have money or dont mind living without it the worst you could do is not be creative. Theres nothing wrong with having mental sets we all do just encourage those pushing the limits you mite see something new.

lol i didn't mean for that to rhyme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(psychology)

Thanks Evan,

exactly my point, I don't do things for others when it comes to making Movies or capturing Still images, I do it because I love it, if others happen to like it of course that is nothing short of Fantastic.

What I do for others is projects of charity, and anything in assistance of Humanity and our planet, because I'm also a Philantropist at the CORE, but I would never allow others to dictate what I do or how I express my self in the Arts, that is why I have not done anything so far, and finally at my first Movie, because NOW I FINALLY CAN DO AS I PLEASE... ;)
    Producer | Director | Cinematographer

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    Thanks Evan,

exactly my point, I don't do things for others when it comes to making Movies or capturing Still images, I do it because I love it, if others happen to like it of course that is nothing short of Fantastic.

What I do for others is projects of charity, and anything in assistance of Humanity and our planet, because I'm also a Philantropist at the CORE, but I would never allow others to dictate what I do or how I express my self in the Arts, that is why I have not done anything so far, and finally at my first Movie, because NOW I FINALLY CAN DO AS I PLEASE... ;)
    and that's how it should always be in the arts be it music, filmmaking or what ever. Everything we argue here is just personal tastes :)
    RED is the PC of cinema world. Most powerful, most customizable and most freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    Thanks Evan,

This is why I love you Ketch!

Paul Ellington
    director/dp & writer

Just read this: http://www.ketchrossistudios.com/201...ject/#comments

Sounds like a madman just listing some unrealistic things ;D I didn't really understand what this was about. Is this one building you are planning to build or many buildings around the world or what? How have you became so rich that you can do all these things you are doing atm and are planning to do?

One more question... why did you decide to shoot the Rape of a Beauty in 3D? Isn't it drama?
    Last edited by Josh Snyder; 04-27-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    RED is the PC of cinema world. Most powerful, most customizable and most freedom.

I didn't mean you are a mad man, just that there were so many big plans listed one after another that it sounded like a madman with crazy plans :) English is not my first language and sometimes the meaning of the message might seem different than intended hehe

Ok so it will be one complete new building in Italy for all this stuff? Do you have yet any estimates when it will be opened? How about the theater. Why do you think whole new chain need to be made? Couldn't the old ones be just updated with a new systems like before and why do you think it's not enough?

You seem to be very busy already and I hope you have to for all this :) Anyways, sounds pretty awesome.