Thread: Is SCRATCH the best option for a colorist in Australia?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Peter - Just to clarify when I wrote about the price difference and the way Resolve is being marketed - I was giving Resolve a big pat on the back. I think its brilliant offering a free version to get bums on seats then offer a powerhouse of features for a very affordable $995 more with additional upgraded options as required. I think the only main thing that Resolve lacks is noise reduction, as I understand that is something offered in a seperate package? (I coul be wrong)

Jake its a tad troubling that when you've got a slew of hungry competitors offering amazing software at such affordable price points...to offer nothing new is a very bad move. At least you're covered no matter what happens :-)

Mark I think you hit the nail on the head. Time to jump on the mac/resolve train!

Thanks for all the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cook View Post
    Peter - Just to clarify when I wrote about the price difference and the way Resolve is being marketed - I was giving Resolve a big pat on the back. I think its brilliant offering a free version to get bums on seats then offer a powerhouse of features for a very affordable $995 more with additional upgraded options as required. I think the only main thing that Resolve lacks is noise reduction, as I understand that is something offered in a seperate package? (I coul be wrong)

Jake its a tad troubling that when you've got a slew of hungry competitors offering amazing software at such affordable price points...to offer nothing new is a very bad move. At least you're covered no matter what happens :-)

Mark I think you hit the nail on the head. Time to jump on the mac/resolve train!

Thanks for all the input guys!
    The NR is included in Resolve 8 package. It's strictly CUDa based, so if you want it, it's nVidia only. This NR is a brand new technology, developed from the ground up on Resolve platform and, to my knowledge, is the only device, that does it in real time. It has nothing to do with Revival, which is a standalone product, mainly used for restoration projects.
    As far as slew goes, one doesn't constitute a slew. A year from now, when or if Scratch fails to get any traction on a Mac platform, the choice from the "slew of hungry competitors" will be Resolve or free Resolve... I hope, that I'm wrong. Otherwise, Mac platform will be very lonely place for high end color grading...

Hey Jake, little off topic from thread, but did Resolve 8 have any basic compositing abilities now that you can have multi layered timelines? You recommended cinegrain for grain emulation and it would be great to be able to incorporate that right into resolve. I didn't go to NAB so there are still many questions that need to be answered...

the NR is a greeaaat feature though.

I have a strong feeling Lustre will be coming to the Mac later this year or 2012, honestly not that i really care. Then you'll have sppedgrade nx, iridas upcoming Lumetri, fcp-x, scratch, storm, Smoke, , redcine-x, resolve, and Stu's twitter pledge to take on the baselight plug. If only I was a colorist. i cant wait wait for Epic-x.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.Wong View Post
    Hey Jake, little off topic from thread, but did Resolve 8 have any basic compositing abilities now that you can have multi layered timelines? You recommended cinegrain for grain emulation and it would be great to be able to incorporate that right into resolve. I didn't go to NAB so there are still many questions that need to be answered...

the NR is a greeaaat feature though.
    Actually I may jumped the gun in recommending using Cinegrade. I don't think there are transfer modes available on Resolve 8 yet. I hope I'm wrong on that. May be Peter or Rohit can clarify... To my knowledge, I don't think you can composite yet, unless again I'm mistaken, but you can pull the green screen key:-)
    BTW Tom. Did't you grade the F3 S-Log test? It looked good, except blacks were a bit too crashed for my taste, as I saw all the details in the original material. How did you like the material?

taking this convo to PM :)

Wow - the NR feature sounds amazing. So let me get this straight...for the best power you need an nvidia card but you cant buy a mac pro with anything other than an ati card...? Is it just a matter of putting in an Nvidia card yourself? Will any card work? Drivers etc?

Wow - the NR feature sounds amazing. So let me get this straight...for the best power you need an nvidia card but you cant buy a mac pro with anything other than an ati card...? Is it just a matter of putting in an Nvidia card yourself? Will any card work? Drivers etc?
    Yes, you put in the nvidia cards yourself. you'll need to video cards, one just for GUI, the other for cuda acceleration for resolve.

Right now on the Mac it's gtx 285 and quadro 4000 as your options.
    you can get a authorized cubix pci e expander too if you want to do multi gpu acceleration.
    drivers can be a little finicky. you have to install the nvidia drivers before you put in the card. mac os updates can sometimes kill the driver and u have to pull out the card, reinstall the drivers, and put the card back in. so gotta be careful with OS updates.

so hopefully, resolve 8.1 or whatever will have either basic compositing or packaged grain emulations. I'll take either or! that's one of the most requested things from clients right now, and I have to keep deferring them to third party methods of doing it. Really wish I could just dial in the grain I want inside of the system.

Thanks Tom, makes sense now. In another development a budy of mine just informed me that I actually have the perfect PC to convert into a hackintosh, right down to the gtx 285 nvidia card...so given Im a bit of a tinkerer I might just buy the latest Mac osx, see how everything handles and if it all looks good - plonk down the $995 for Resolve 8 when its released and be way infront of what it would have cost to buy a new mac. I know its not the most elegant / proffessional of solutions but it will do for a start, I woner if anyone else here has tried converting a PC into a mac?

Thanks Tom, makes sense now. In another development a budy of mine just informed me that I actually have the perfect PC to convert into a hackintosh, right down to the gtx 285 nvidia card...so given Im a bit of a tinkerer I might just buy the latest Mac osx, see how everything handles and if it all looks good - plonk down the $995 for Resolve 8 when its released and be way infront of what it would have cost to buy a new mac. I know its not the most elegant / proffessional of solutions but it will do for a start, I woner if anyone else here has tried converting a PC into a mac?
    http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....ght=hackintosh