Thread: CS5.5 and RED/EPIC full disclosure

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 CS5.5 and RED/EPIC full disclosure 
    Hi Guys,

Dave here... I teased you last week because I couldn't talk fully then. Well we announced CS5.5 and I want to post a few of my thoughts on this board about how this helps the RED workflow. We try our best to keep you fully informed and I don't hide any info that I am ready to disclose so here it goes:

1. We added second system sound, this was asked for by all you guys. It works great and easy.
    2. We fixed all known timecode issues with RED footage and audio sync.
    3. We worked with RED on some stability fixes that should make everything better.
    4. We added all the current color settings that you get in RED Cine.
    5. We added histograms and a curve editor.
    6. We significantly improved importing FCP import including work on making FCP red stuff import better.

Next we have an EPIC Labs release planned for really really soon after 5.5 hits the streets. This will have more stuff we couldn't get into 5.5.

1. EPIC support!
    2. EPIC HDR support. (I will post more on the specifics of this later. I am working with the excellent guys at fxguide to make sure this works well)
    3. Second head out of the red source settings dialog in PPro. So you can see your corrections on a second monitor.
    4. On a big monitor you get bigger source settings.
    5. You will have the option to respect camera metadata for flipping images. Although it will be faster on the timeline.

Whats up with Rocket?

We improved performance on Rocket in ppro. 4k full res no dropped frames using rocket on windows. A drop or two is still sometimes visible on the mac due to apple hardware/software issues. Epic footage plays in real time at half/res with 1 rocket. 2 rockets and it can play full res 5k in real time no dropped frames. This was demoed in the JMR booth.

Plus all the other great features in ppro and as always we made things faster, better and more stable.

This is all 5.5 based. So get it and and give us feedback. I want all RED movies edited in PPro and Effects editing done in AE. We are listening to your feedback and incorporating it where we can and as fast as we can so keep up the suggestions.

I am now working directly on the ppro team so I will be gathering all the notes you guys have posted in this forum and bringing that directly into our planning.

Cheers

Dave
    Trying to make Adobe the best software for RED footage!

David,

Thank you for the update. The new SCRATCH v6 supports importing FCP XML. How about working closely with ASSIMILATE to get PPro XML support added.

While I have CS5, I have not had a chance to use it yet. Does it support the NVIDIA SDI output?

This is the kind of news I've been waiting for. I'll wait till CS5.5 is released to give you some really positive feedback. Just to let you know fixing the sync issue and the FCP (Red stuff) import was really a priority especially for narrative work. The Adobe Audition Dynamic link is a feature I personally requested, since I do use Audition. However for the most jobs we don't really have to go out to Audition or want to go out. Premiere pro CS5 claims to have VST plugin support, but it does not work. Seriously not a single 64bit plugin has worked.--Please check this. If you've noticed most of us here have invested in BMD Resolve and we get a free upgrade. Since Adobe has big future plans in the grading department we can wait. In the mean time can you check to make sure our xml exports from PProcs5.5 make it into BMD, Smoke etc. We will all appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    David,

Thank you for the update. The new SCRATCH v6 supports importing FCP XML. How about working closely with ASSIMILATE to get PPro XML support added.

While I have CS5, I have not had a chance to use it yet. Does it support the NVIDIA SDI output?
    Our field team has tested the SDI and is very happy with it. They use it with Rocket and red footage..

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by shashbugu View Post
    This is the kind of news I've been waiting for. I'll wait till CS5.5 is released to give you some really positive feedback. Just to let you know fixing the sync issue and the FCP (Red stuff) import was really a priority especially for narrative work. The Adobe Audition Dynamic link is a feature I personally requested, since I do use Audition. However for the most jobs we don't really have to go out to Audition or want to go out. Premiere pro CS5 claims to have VST plugin support, but it does not work. Seriously not a single 64bit plugin has worked.--Please check this. If you've noticed most of us here have invested in BMD Resolve and we get a free upgrade. Since Adobe has big future plans in the grading department we can wait. In the mean time can you check to make sure our xml exports from PProcs5.5 make it into BMD, Smoke etc. We will all appreciate this.
    Point me at a VST you want... I am not an audio guy but I think we support a specific VST level, but I will be figuring that our now in my new role. I met with the resolve guys at NAB and it looks like we should be able to integrate with them using FCP XML. They are getting us a copy to test with. We have a great relationship with BMD.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    David,

FCP XML is probably a good way to go to get into scratch. 5.5's support is much better.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David McGavran View Post
    Hi Guys,

Dave here... I teased you last week because I couldn't talk fully then. Well we announced CS5.5 and I want to post a few of my thoughts on this board about how this helps the RED workflow. We try our best to keep you fully informed and I don't hide any info that I am ready to disclose so here it goes:

1. We added second system sound, this was asked for by all you guys. It works great and easy.
    2. We fixed all known timecode issues with RED footage and audio sync.
    3. We worked with RED on some stability fixes that should make everything better.
    4. We added all the current color settings that you get in RED Cine.
    5. We added histograms and a curve editor.
    6. We significantly improved importing FCP import including work on making FCP red stuff import better.

Next we have an EPIC Labs release planned for really really soon after 5.5 hits the streets. This will have more stuff we couldn't get into 5.5.

1. EPIC support!
    2. EPIC HDR support. (I will post more on the specifics of this later. I am working with the excellent guys at fxguide to make sure this works well)
    3. Second head out of the red source settings dialog in PPro. So you can see your corrections on a second monitor.
    4. On a big monitor you get bigger source settings.
    5. You will have the option to respect camera metadata for flipping images. Although it will be faster on the timeline.

Whats up with Rocket?

We improved performance on Rocket in ppro. 4k full res no dropped frames using rocket on windows. A drop or two is still sometimes visible on the mac due to apple hardware/software issues. Epic footage plays in real time at half/res with 1 rocket. 2 rockets and it can play full res 5k in real time no dropped frames. This was demoed in the JMR booth.

Plus all the other great features in ppro and as always we made things faster, better and more stable.

This is all 5.5 based. So get it and and give us feedback. I want all RED movies edited in PPro and Effects editing done in AE. We are listening to your feedback and incorporating it where we can and as fast as we can so keep up the suggestions.

I am now working directly on the ppro team so I will be gathering all the notes you guys have posted in this forum and bringing that directly into our planning.

Cheers

Dave
    Hi David,

Why is 3D not important enough to be Native in 2011, and
    not even on your list. How many 3D Red movies are in production in 2011?

At best Adobe is 2 releases away from even having native 3D editing!

This is the third release in a row now that I swore Adobe would make 3D editing native, yet
    Adobe is content to let others handle 3D. Many pros are not fans of 3rd party solutions and
    to ignore it for so long as to even have Sony Vegas surpass your company with native tools
    for 3D editing and authoring to 3D Blu-Ray
    is disturbing. Adobe also does not have
    native 7.1 audio support as well.

So right now in 2011, I can't do something as simple as author a 3D Blu-Ray using Adobe software
    that plays on every set in Best Buy and Costco

My biggest issue is many of us entertain using 2 Scarlet or 2 Epic in stereo rigs,
    and would like to know since 3D is not native, when is the release date for
    native 3D editing?

Respectfully,
    John Bellari

Quote Originally Posted by David McGavran View Post
    FCP XML is probably a good way to go to get into scratch. 5.5's support is much better.

Cheers

Dave
    You are my new best friend Dave. You guys are sneaky LOL, I just opened Ppro CS5 to paste the Error message it sends on Izotope RX, but it seems that it was updated on MArch 31'st and it works fine. I'll try Izotope Nectar as well. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bellari View Post
    Hi David,

Why is 3D not important enough to be Native in 2011, and
    not even on your list. How many 3D Red movies are in production in 2011?

At best Adobe is 2 releases away from even having native 3D editing!

This is the third release in a row now that I swore Adobe would make 3D editing native, yet
    Adobe is content to let others handle 3D. Many pros are not fans of 3rd party solutions and
    to ignore it for so long as to even have Sony Vegas surpass your company with native tools
    for 3D editing and authoring to 3D Blu-Ray
    is disturbing. Adobe also does not have
    native 7.1 audio support as well.

So right now in 2011, I can't do something as simple as author a 3D Blu-Ray using Adobe software
    that plays on every set in Best Buy and Costco

My biggest issue is many of us entertain using 2 Scarlet or 2 Epic in stereo rigs,
    and would like to know since 3D is not native, when is the release date for
    native 3D editing?

Respectfully,
    John Bellari
    Everything on that list is done now and shipping very very soon.... I didn't give any insight into our future plans. 3D is an interesting question... Cineform is a great partner and we work very closely with them to get 3D support in PPro. Are you unhappy with them because it doesn't work well or because it is expensive?

Cheers

Dave

Hi David, thx for all these stuff. it sounds incredible. Unfortunately have not seen it live but guess that will happen soon.

the sound sync is my favorit together with Epic support of course.

you were talking figures for the rockets, would it be hard to allow even more rockets being used , when you want to use the cineform plugin for a 3d editing workflow. Not sure , if I would have to convert to cineform raw ( probably we should), but I could think of other situations such as multicam Epic shoots, were it could be great if we didn't have to transcode at all to another codec , and still being able to do all corrections directly on the raw files.