Thread: RED cameras in CUBA?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED cameras in CUBA? 
    Any fellow RED owners down in Cuba?

Doubt you'll find any RED users (cubans living in cuba) in Cuba. Unless they are Canadians working at a hotel or something. Then mention the internet for a Cuban....hA! my friends father is one of the top three heads of telecommunications (and not a member of the communist party--therefore no luxuries) and even he has little internet time and is always watchful of what he says on the internet. That said, the world is changing, but Cuba (and i love it as it is) has not moved along with the rest of the world with everyone with a cell phone and streaming internet in their home.

in fact when i travel with my Cuban friend --now a canadian by marriage....he is always pulled to the side when getting off the plane i Havana and last time the kept his notebook computer until we left the country. So not sure how a Cuban will ever have a RED there. NOW....gotta love Cubans for innovation. I'll likely have a guy there build me a special housing with materials i'll smuggle in. I've yet to find artists like Cubans when comes to machining or just about anything.

Good luck on your quest. I'm trying to get a full film permit there to shoot topside and underwater, but difficult. Sometimes good to just show up as a tourist, but with RED it's difficult.
    John Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

The camera rental company I always use and keep all my kit with here in Dubai is owned by a Cuban who has just opened up a sister company for camera rental and lighting in Cuba, I will check with him, he has been nagging me to send a camera out there.
    Riki Butland GBCT
    Director/DoP
    http://www.cinematographer-dop.com
    2 X Red Dragon
    2 X Red MX's

Dubai Mob:+971 50 7258068
    London Mob:+447598057170

It's frobidden to use RED stuff in Cuba ;-)

i) Export Law Assurances. The Customer understands that the RED Software and Documentation are subject to export control laws and regulations. CUSTOMER MAY NOT DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE EXPORT OR RE-EXPORT THE RED SOFTWARE, THE DOCUMENTATION, ANY UNDERLYING INFORMATION OR TECHNOLOGY EXCEPT IN FULL COMPLIANCE WITH ALL UNITED STATES AND OTHER APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS. IN PARTICULAR, BUT WITHOUT LIMITATION, NONE OF THE RED SOFTWARE, THE DOCUMENTATION, ANY UNDERLYING INFORMATION OR TECHNOLOGY MAY BE DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE EXPORTED OR RE- EXPORTED: (i) INTO (OR TO A NATIONAL OR RESIDENT OF) CUBA, IRAQ, LIBYA, NORTH KOREA, IRAN OR SYRIA;
    Have a nice stay in Cuba!

Pat

Patrick, that agreement says "Export". That would mean to take your RED gear to Cuba and sell it.

So it's not illegal to bring RED gear to Cuba, as long as you remember to take it back with you when you return to the USA.

Fidel isn't likely to seize your RED gear, so you are safe. Watch out for Kim Jong Il in North Korea, though, he's said to be a big cinema fan and probably would not be above seizing it for his own use!

I have visited Cuba. It was quite an experience. Hated the government, loved the people. Very warm, friendly and hospitable.

I would enjoy visiting again, but don't like supporting what is a truly oppressive regime. "Tourist apartheid", the practice of separating the tourist industry from ordinary Cubans, was particularly striking. Tourists had brand new air conditioned Volvo busses while citizens had to ride in public transport vehicles that looked like they were designed for cattle, not humans.

Was any of Che shot in Cuba?

D
    How much do you REALLY know about RED? Take the RED Trivia Challenge!, now just $1.99! (iTunes store link, for iPhone and iPod Touch).

Senior Member Mike 'Fireman' Ross's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
    Patrick, that agreement says "Export". That would mean to take your RED gear to Cuba and sell it.

So it's not illegal to bring RED gear to Cuba, as long as you remember to take it back with you when you return to the USA.
    D
    You have to remember, there are RED owners all over the world. Those outside the USA are not bound by US laws... not to turn this political, but I always find this kind of assumption a little arrogant. Brits, for instance, are free to travel and do business with Cuba as they are with every other country; it's a popular tourist destination. If a British RED owner wanted to sell or rent their camera to a Cuban operation, they would be perfectly free to do so; that restriction Patrick cited is null and void in the UK.

(OK, to turn this a little political, as an immigrant (dual UK/USA citizenship) I've always found the attitude of many Americans puzzling and frankly hypocritical when it comes to international relations. Israel is our friend and can Do No Wrong, China (even more repressive than Cuba) is a Most Favoured Nation trading partner, but Cuba, which has the insolence to be communist... it's up on the list with Libya and Iran! In fact it's considered the worst of the lot, it's the only country ordinary Americans are effectively forbidden from even *visiting* (on extremely dubious constitutional grounds) Excuse me, they haven't blown up any American planes or attacked us in any other way that I remember...)

Mike
    'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
    Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
    For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'

RED SCARLET-X #513, 'Hekla'
    RED EPIC DRAGON #2229, 'Katla'
    RED ONE MX #10066, 'Askja'

We done couple projects in Cuba on Red, except we brought the cameras from Canada, had no issue, but had to make several different backup paperwork incase something went wrong:)
    I'll try to find out about a rental place out there.

Jack
    Jack Mosor
    REDucated at REDucation 001
    TA @ REDucation

CineCrew.ca

Fidel isn't likely to seize your RED gear, so you are safe...

I would enjoy visiting again, but don't like supporting what is a truly oppressive regime.

Was any of Che shot in Cuba?

D
    Remember this is the US law and not the Cuban. You could have more trouble coming back to the US then with the Cuban custom. The migration in the US is very aggressive when you tell them you come back from Cuba.

If you want to shoot io Cuba I highly recommend that you speak with the ICAIC. The film scool of San Antonio de los Banos EICTV is also very help full. They could already have a red one.

Nice shoot io Cuba!

I've shipped my camera down from Canada before. I have a great group of people i deal with.

Watch out for Kim Jong Il in North Korea, though, he's said to be a big cinema fan and probably would not be above seizing it for his own use!
    LOL