Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Epic Q&A

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    I feel that it'd be premature to make any definitive statements about the range of the REDmote. How much range are you hoping for?
    20 ft? would be cool when the cam is on a crane...

would be a super bonus though
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    Yes it does function both when Docked on camera or Off camera, love the Redmote ;)
    Not what I asked.

I'm asking if there is an actual wired capability so we can use it in a separate case for underwater since the wireless RF signals don't travel underwater. (even extremely powerful radios - like NASA spacesuit radios - can only penetrate a few meters - I doubt if redmote RF would go even a few inches through water). Hardwire might also be more reliable for jib/crane work, particularly if focus and iris are being used.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Helium 8KS35 (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

what compression ratios are currently available? and what would be the redcode equivalent? rec 50? rec 100? rec 250?

any tests or current impressions on what it's native dynamic range is without HDRx? more than r1 mx i presume? i know it's claimed to be X amount of stops, but would be nice to get a little more of owner views on it, everybody has their own opinion on the cameras DR and what they deem usable.

same applies to sensitivity.

thanks Brook, you seriously are the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Presley View Post
    Have you used the Canon EOS mount? And if so, what were your impressions with the auto focus?
    I've only used the PL mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Cneyt Kaya View Post
    20 ft? would be cool when the cam is on a crane...

would be a super bonus though
    Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.Wong View Post
    what compression ratios are currently available? and what would be the redcode equivalent? rec 50? rec 100? rec 250?

any tests or current impressions on what it's native dynamic range is without HDRx? more than r1 mx i presume? i know it's claimed to be X amount of stops, but would be nice to get a little more of owner views on it, everybody has their own opinion on the cameras DR and what they deem usable.

same applies to sensitivity.

thanks Brook, you seriously are the man.
    RC 3:1 through RC... 12:1? 15:1? I can't remember. I haven't gone over 10:1. I like 5:1.

Personally [opinion time!], I find it to match the MX R1 at 13-1/2 to 13-2/3 stops. The noise levels are lower [as fantastic as the MX already was] and the images definitely feel much "easier" to grade. Hard to articulate... you'll see. If there's more DR, it's negligible, but I do feel like there's more latitude... I'm less afraid to dig stuff out from deeper in the shadows. It's better, it's just difficult to put it on paper.

I've selected the same sensitivity as before but I'm not afraid to underexpose and bring it up. I'd still call 800ASA the sweet spot and I would not recommend going below 640 or 500 for the sake of your highlights [unless you know what you're doing]. Don't sacrifice highlights for your shadows... the shadows will be there.

And then you click on HDR and it gets a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Presley View Post
    Have you used the Canon EOS mount? And if so, what were your impressions with the auto focus?
    Kyle, i played with the canon mount for literally ten seconds, but it was as fast as you'd expect it to be, and its not searching for it either.
    Salt Lake City based Colorist/DIT/DMT/AC originally from New England.

6. #26 3D setup 
    I have a chance to put two Epics together on Friday in a 3D rig. Is all the 3D components enabled? Do I require an external sync box or is there a proprietary sync cable required like Alexa? Unfortunately Epics are like Dragon teeth so I will not have both cameras untill shoot day.

Tom Gleeson DOP
    Back in Sydney
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    I have a chance to put two Epics together on Friday in a 3D rig. Is all the 3D components enabled? Do I require an external sync box or is there a proprietary sync cable required like Alexa? Unfortunately Epics are like Dragon teeth so I will not have both cameras untill shoot day.

Tom Gleeson DOP
    Back in Sydney
    There is a sync cable you will need from Red
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post

Tom Gleeson DOP
    Back in Sydney
    You will need a sync cable [from RED] for each camera and a timecode and sync generator. You should consider having your DIT email the bomb squad to talk about 3D.

We're months into Spider-Man [3D] and it's been working great. The sync between the cameras is the best I've ever seen.

There is a sync cable you will need from Red
    Will wireless sync ever be possible? I would like to shoot some hyperstereo and will need them several feet apart.

Do you find yourself programming any of the custom buttons on the REDMOTE or side handle? The custom user buttons came in handy with the R1 to quickly get you to a specific menu, but it sounds like the touch screen is more handy.

Just curious - how long does black shading take?
    Rick Youck
    FWY Production Services