Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Epic Q&A

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Epic Q&A 
    There are a lot of questions and answers spread out around different threads in different forums. With a handful of active forum members having taken delivery of their cameras, it'll be good to get them all in one spot.

It is extremely important to remember how early the firmware we're talking about is. The discussion here isn't about camera capabilities, bugs or limitations... it's just a glimpse at what is here today. People should be very careful not to read something here as "the way it is".

Fire at will. :)
    Last edited by Brook Willard; 03-01-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Is live HD-SDI output and playback full debayered?

Quote Originally Posted by Laco Zamba View Post
    Is live HD-SDI output and playback full debayered?
    Pretty sure it's 1/2 debayer - Stuart?

Playback is not enabled on the current build (that I have).
    Mark L. Pederson

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post

It's a combination of a full debayer+scale especially for the camera but the end result is different than Rocket or sw debayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post

I thought I read that HD SDI is a full bayer output.

Cheers, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bradley View Post
    I thought I read that HD SDI is a full bayer output.

Cheers, Tim
    I've asked this question in several threads along with several other people and sent a PM to someone at RED. I think a lot of people would love to know this information, considering how recording to a KiPro or PIX system is becoming a dailies and even master recording solution for some. Maybe I missed the answer somewhere on the forum!!!
    Eric
    cinematographer
    www.ericjhaase.com

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haase View Post
    I've asked this question in several threads along with several other people and sent a PM to someone at RED. I think a lot of people would love to know this information, considering how recording to a KiPro or PIX system is becoming a dailies and even master recording solution for some. Maybe I missed the answer somewhere on the forum!!!
    it's a full debayer.

Wow, this is a great/very generous thread. Thanks!

My question: Although it may seem insignificant to some, I've been very curious about the menu system/touchscreen. What are your initial impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dearworth View Post
    Wow, this is a great/very generous thread. Thanks!

My question: Although it may seem insignificant to some, I've been very curious about the menu system/touchscreen. What are your initial impressions?
    I've been really quite happy with the new UI. I was using the engineering interface for so long that when it first came out I felt like I had to relearn everything. About 15 minutes later and I was a pro.

Think of it as something new, not just an evolution of the R1.

Quote Originally Posted by Imran Farouk View Post
    Wondering about battery life with a RED Volt versus the RED Brick on the EPIC?
    I haven't had much time with the RV batteries. The ones that I've used were prototypes so I'll leave this question alone for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dearworth View Post
    I've been very curious about the menu system/touchscreen. What are your initial impressions?
    I found the user interface and menu layout to be very intuitive - especially for someone who has used Red One menus. There is naturally more menu categories and selections within them than Red One - but there's really no rocket science involved in quickly learning the menu layout, button functions, and then just getting out to shoot with the camera. I just jumped right in and started searching menus and pushing buttons - and I guarantee you nothing ever melted down :-)

The way cool thing I love is how quick the LCD touch screen is for navigating to/from menus and changing the settings on the camera. Also, if you have the Side Handle, LCD, and Redmote on the camera you can navigate on any of those three accessories to the menus to change settings on the camera. If the LCD isn't on the camera, but the Side Handle is, you still have two ways to quickly get to and adjust the camera - the Redmote and the Side Handle.

A manual will be handy for checking out all the functions of those advanced features of the camera you may rarely use - because when you do need them you have to know quickly what they do, how to get to them, and the best way to use them. But for everyday routine use of Epic anyone who has used a Red one will be up to speed very quickly - and it won't take anyone who is at least relatively experienced with other non-Red cameras to get going well in a short period of time.

Don't let the thought of using Epic intimidate you - its relatively simple to use, the user interface is very intuitive, it can be setup and morphed into just about what ever you want it to be, it won't bite you, and is really a joy to use :-)
    Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    Golden Gate 3D - www.gg3d.com

Co-Producer, IMAX film CUBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijvjeZ89qY
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stevegibby/