Thread: Black Magic Decklink compatibility

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Black Magic Decklink compatibility 
    I purchased the blackmagic DeckLink SDI and the red rocket at the same time. There is obviously a conflict because when the red rocket is installed the Decklink wont show up in the preferences pane and final cut. I have been using the decklink by unplugging the red rocket card.

1.) Is there any way to get the red rocket card to work with the decklink?
    2.) If not what other video card will support SDI out from Final Cut for editing?
    3.) Is there any risk to unplugging the redrocket card when not using it? Is there a limited amount of times it can be installed into the computer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCain View Post
    I purchased the blackmagic DeckLink SDI and the red rocket at the same time. There is obviously a conflict because when the red rocket is installed the Decklink wont show up in the preferences pane and final cut. I have been using the decklink by unplugging the red rocket card.

1.) Is there any way to get the red rocket card to work with the decklink?
    2.) If not what other video card will support SDI out from Final Cut for editing?
    3.) Is there any risk to unplugging the redrocket card when not using it? Is there a limited amount of times it can be installed into the computer?

Thanks

Yes these cards work together.

I've used systems with both, being able to switch between RedCine, Resolve, FCP and Storm quickly was very very nice.

I don't own a Rocket presently, but have seen a bit of trouble with a Decklink Extreme Card. What I usually recommend is swapping the slots around.

In extreme cases you may have to do a fresh install of OS X. I usually keep a n OS X install around that is very basic for this reason. Just OS X and production apps I need- Final Cut Studio, Storm Red Apps ... just the stuff I need to work. No extras.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Thanks for the feedback. I have actually tried the decklink in both the 4X/RAID and 4X slot. I am assuming that the red rocket card can only go into the 16X port right?

Hi Dan,

I've had an extreme 3d plus rocket working in the same box in the past, right now the rocket is in the MacPro with the new AJA 3g.

The rocket works fine in a x4 or x8 slot. You'll get a warning but it does work.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Keep the Rocket in Slot-2, put the Decklink card in slot-3. As Stephen points out, the Rocket works fine in the other slots, but why restrict it when it's an 8X card...

It does seem that you have a conflict of sorts. You may need to reset your PRAM or SCM. Start up the system with both cards installed and hold down Cmd+Option+P+R and that should reset the PRAM, which holds the PCIe autoconfig tables. Failing that, there's obviously something more going on. It could be software/OS related or potentially hardware. Would need more info to troubleshoot better.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

I tried resetting the PRAM and nothing changed. I am not sure what other details would be helpful but here is what i know.

When both cards are plugged in the red rocket works fine but the decklink doesn't work. When you click on the control panel for the decklink in system preferences all the controls are greyed out. However when I unplug the red rocket and restart the macpro the Decklink then shows up in the control panel and then works.

Do you have the latest firmware installed on the Decklink?

www.SolarSystemStudio.com/

EPIC DRAGON - SCARLET DRAGON - DJI Ronin - Proline Raven steadicam

I have the latest drivers installed but i am not sure where to find the latest firmware. I have searched the Blackmagic site with no luck. Do you know where I can get the latest firmware for the decklink sdi?