Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: John Cordell

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Kelly View Post
    John,
    thanks for the info.
    Can you lock out changing the options - framerate, iso, etc on the touchscreen so that they are not changed by mistake? Or is that not really a concern?
    Shane
    Not sure if locking out the touch screen is an option or not. Looked around for it but didn't find it. You can lock the Redmote. Found that out the hard way when I accidentally locked it and then spent a minute or two trying to figure out why the buttons stopped working. Turns out there's a large yellow lock icon when the Redmote is locked but I didn't notice it at first. Would be nice if it blinked or wiggled whenever a button is pressed while in lock mode. But it's also fine the way it is. If you don't know about the lock feature, maybe you shouldn't be touching the remote!

I will say that it doesn't feel like settings being accidentally changed on the touch screen will be a big issue. For one thing, it's a capacitive touch screen, so accidental bumps with things other than fingers won't invoke any commands. And the bezel is quite wide, so when re-positioning tilt or swivel it's easy (and natural) to avoid touching the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Lequeux View Post
    Thanks for that clip John. Is there any reason why you chose 96fps instead of 120fps?
    96fps is the max that's enabled in the current firmware version.

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cordell View Post
    Not sure if locking out the touch screen is an option or not. Looked around for it but didn't find it. You can lock the Redmote. Found that out the hard way when I accidentally locked it and then spent a minute or two trying to figure out why the buttons stopped working. Turns out there's a large yellow lock icon when the Redmote is locked but I didn't notice it at first. Would be nice if it blinked or wiggled whenever a button is pressed while in lock mode. But it's also fine the way it is. If you don't know about the lock feature, maybe you shouldn't be touching the remote!
    Hold down the flip icon on the upper right for a few secs to lock/unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFlores View Post
    Hi John,

Thanks for posting this and congrats on the new Epic. I checked out your website ... cool stuff. Actually, I'd love to know about you and what you shoot since I haven't seen as many posts from you here as many of the other guys.

It's not a knock against you, I'm sure you're busy and not everyone is into forums, would really just love to hear a little bit more about your story ... and possibly also your dreams for how you will put the Epic to work.

Thanks again :)

Anthony
    Thanks. I'm an ex-computer guy turned filmmaker. Right now I'm writing and directing short comedy narrative stuff and working my way up to making my first feature.

No offense taken on the fact that I don't post much. I'll try and be responsive over the next couple of days and answer what I can about the Epic. And post some more footage if I get anything that I like. After that I'll return to my lurking ways.

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    96fps is the max that's enabled in the current firmware version.
    That's temporary while we do some tuning on 120fps.
    It'll be available in the next firmware update next week.

Here's a quicktime shot on Epic-M at 96fps, shutter at 1/192, Red Pro Prime 100mm at about 4 feet. ISO 800, f2.8/4 split. Exported via Redcine-X to Prores422HQ.

http://cordellproductions.com/movies...e breaking.mov
    Looks great! Would you mind posting some R3Ds for us to play with?

John was gracious enough to wait for me before powering up his EPIC. The first thing I noticed, besides John's grin:) was how great the image looked through the touch screen LCD, the second was although many features were not enabled- there still seemed to be an endless possibility of menu options. It took about 20 sec for John to start going through the settings with proficiency.

Thanks again John, and RED team.

Gotcha. 96fps feels pretty slow already based off Dino's poor juggling skills. :) Looking forward to full throttle.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

9. #19 Some other observations... 
    Ok, here's a follow up to my first impressions. Second impressions, I guess.

- LCD on Redmote is really quite lovely.

- Pinch/zoom gesture on touch LCD does what you'd expect: toggle magnify mode. Nice.

- Boot up time. Forgot to mention this. 10 seconds. So much nicer than the Red One. And that's at home fooling around. On set it'll be fantastic.

- HDRx. I've only just started playing with it. It's going to be a huge feature. Right now the cool tools for blending the exposures aren't available outside of Red, but they will be soon. So for now I'm confining myself to peeping at the two exposures to see what's in there. Once you can really selectively control the blend like one would a secondary in color correction, it's going to be amazing.

- I can already see what Jim is talking about in terms of using only the amount of HDRx protection you need. The short exposure is going to be, by definition, underexposed most everywhere except the highlights. So there's no reason to over-do the protection, and if you do, you'll have your x frame underexposed and then have to be extra careful to not let the underexposed parts make their way into the blended image.

- Haven't shot handheld yet, will report thoughts on that once I get to it.

- Will report more as I find more.

- Back-focus was spot on out of the box.

- Touch LCD smudges aren't visible when the LCD is on. So I'm not at all worried about smudges getting in the way of viewing the image.

Yes indeed, welcome to the club as Dino said.... Looking forward to all your impressions. We are quite crazy schedule wise on Spiderman to discuss in detail so hoping you will share your thoughts with us all

Peter