Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Underwater Bubble Blowin' Users Group

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 141 123451151101 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Underwater Bubble Blowin' Users Group 
    Hey hey, we had a thread, now we got a group area, things are heating up. Still working on the perfect extReme shot with the sharks and my little Titanium Buddy. Will nail it in a few days.

Looking forward to see how this goes for the WetUsers

Cheers,
    Mark.
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"

liquidmocean

Waiting for your shots...

Be careful!

Please, correct my written english.
    I'm still learning, and I need your help.
    Thanks in advance.

I want to see your Ti R in a shot with a hammerhead. I'm probably asking a bit much though. :D
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I wish I could get to see a damned Hammerhead!! They are here at this time of year and sightings have been sporadic. I bumped into a Tiger Shark the other day at 160ft down but he was on a mission and was haulin' ass. No time to line up a shot with R. The waters are cooling down here now as they tend do do so at this time of year. Cold water upwellings bring plankton and loads of predators in its wake. The vizibility suffers a bit but guaranteed I'll be trying to get a nice image for the R shot. Will keep at it. I may just have to stick with a Grey Reef Shark composition but will try holding out for one with a species less common.

Fingers crossed.

Best,
    Mark.

liquidmocean

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by CamDiver View Post
    I bumped into a Tiger Shark the other day at 160ft down but he was on a mission and was haulin' ass.
    Things like that just leave me a bit speechless. What a life! I would probably scared to death, heh. Did went diving in Greece once which I loved. Too bad we don't have such waters here in Holland.
    ROBCODE Santa Claus @ RED

"You get the chicken by waiting for the egg to hatch, not by smashing it with a hammer" - Jarred

Quote Originally Posted by CamDiver View Post
    Hey hey, we had a thread, now we got a group area, things are heating up
    nice one Mark :)

Cheers
    David Nardini

The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work

8. #8 Deep Gases...Red at 100 meters 
    Banned
    Since you asked about Deep Gas Mixes:

Here's a link to a deep water Palau expedition I did that will answer many of your deep gas questions:

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/

I did it shooting digital betacam in a pace housing to 120+ meters everyday while shooting a Discovery Channel Special. Can I just say how stoked I am about using my Red system to push the production envelope underwater. I'm thinking coelacanth in HD...

The mix I used in Palau for our deep dives is known as trimix: HE, O2 and N. The helium is an inert gas used to reduce the percentage of O2 and N to allow for optimal percentages at depth.

I was using a CIS-LUNAR computer controlled rebreather which actually maintains an optimal PPO2 but trimix was the deep water diluent. Our refined techniques today utilize heliox instead of trimix.

And yes, air being a 21/79 mix becomes toxic at 217 ft
    Where the never exceed PPO2 1.6 = (depth/33 + 1) x .21

In English, that means the "air" one is breathing at 217 feet is the equivalent of breathing 160% oxygen at the surface. The "toxic" means that the body will react to excessive oxygen known as hyperoxia. It's not hyperoxia that kills you it's typically the seizure underwater that causes the problem. And the PPN2 or nitrogen your breathing at these depths can really make you stoned right Mark?

Maybe that's why you're out so deep everyday on air?

Lucky Bum....

hehehehe, wouldn't change it for the World sharkguy,

Personally I'm 'old school' and prefer to stick with good old air. I don't dive EANx (Oxygen enriched air) as it again reduces the safe depth limit but allows longer bottom times at shallower depths. I may be looking to go through to Closed Circuits in the future as one particular contract (pending) could be very lucrative but is yet to be finalized and will require that. However I want to hold off on the $9k course fees to get me 1 on 1 training from air to Trimix 2 and everything between.

Rob: Anytime I come face to face with a potentially dangerous animal there is a slight twitch around the old crimper but it's all a matter of how you condition yourself to not transmit that emotion when the event happens. I love the feeling of getting up close and personal with the big stuff but personally prefer to film the micro organisms on the reef.

Chas: I don't realy push too far on air. Max here is on a dive site called Siaes Tunnel where I bumped into the Tiger the other day. There's a pinnacle that appears at 160ft where infrequent sightings of bigger critters have been made over the years. I will venture max on air to around 60 - 65m. Job wise I run my own small underwater imaging concession alongside the pioneer dive shop here in Palau. Its a living and allows me to dive everyday if I need to in my search for footage. I pay the bills by diving with people and making DVD's of their dives. A three tank dive (daily stuff) sells for $95 per client, or I get booked to film for groups etc. Its all good fun and recreational diving hardly ever exceeds 40m so pretty safe whilst all the time allowing me the potential to be in the water at the right time.

When RED happens though I may be looking to pass the concession on and concentrate on networking through the film making industry as an available asset for wet environment filming. That and potentially looking for a cheaper base, with diving, to continue with the stock shooting. Palau is great but I will be looking for somewhere with better macro critters as that is where the diversity lies. There are only so many times you can sit there face to face with a shark, a manta or a turtle. The macro world is so diverse and in my opinion takes harder efforts to record it well.

I couldn't imagine going a week without diving !!!!!! ;)

Cheers,
    Mark.

liquidmocean

10. #10 Gates Housing Design input... 
    Banned
    Nice...