Thread: My experience with 12-core 2.66GHz Mac pro & Quadro 4000

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 My experience with 12-core 2.66GHz Mac pro & Quadro 4000 
    System configuration:
    Davinci Resolve v7.0.3
    Mac OSX 10.6.6
    2 x 2.66 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon
    24GB RAM (6x4GB ECC in triple channel config)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 Slot 1
    NVIDIA Quadro 4000 Slot 2
    G-RAID 2TB media drive connected via FW800
    Dual 30" Apple Cinema Display

Before running Davinci Resolve, didn't realize that CPU debayering of RED footage was possible at 1/2 Res and realtime. Wasn't even aware that this would be the method that Resolve uses. Was thinking debayering would be GPU based with the Quadro 4000. Terrible experiences in Redcine-X, Final Cut Pro and all apps that are not multicore optimized made me ignorant to the possibilities. Then again I've only had a 12-core for the past month and wasn't totally aware of what it's real capabilities are regarding debayering RED footage. Was pleasantly surprised to see this:

click for larger version

CPU load 1920x1080 timeline at Half Res. Good (add 4-5% more for 2K film timelines):

It's a pleasure to see all 24 virtual cores being utilized and the UI being very responsive even with all 4 scopes loaded on dual 30" Apple Cinema Display setup. Since then I've added all kinds of secondary nodes to push the GPU. Found out the only thing that gives the system a hiccup is 3+ nodes of blur. With realtime playback at 1920x1080 possible on a 12-core at "Half Res. Good". I would recommend going this route instead of a RED Rocket (especially if financially challenged). I've seen many on here tout their experiences with a hackintosh and GTX 480, etc. I don't really quite understand using playback settings at a 1/4 res or 1/8 res on a desktop computer. The main holy grail of Davinci Resolve is realtime performance. If you are grading RED 4k RAW... you should at least be able to preview it at HD resolution decently in realtime on a professional monitor.

My opinion is that if someone is using a hackintosh system then it should supersede the capabilities of a certified system. The pro's would be more expansion slots and access to faster GPUs. The con is that to get a professional hackintosh system you are looking at costs that start to enter the realm of certified systems. I just don't see the point of cost cutting just to get a 1/4 res or 1/8 res realtime playback with a superfast GPU.

I'm really excited at now having the possibility of being able to grade 4k footage on a 4k res timeline. Wow! Look how fast the world of tech is moving. Thank you Blackmagic! What your company is doing in the world of post is just as important as what RED s doing with the camera.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/

Senior Member Aleksandar Colancevski's Avatar
    Maybe my eyes are not OK, but I find very difficult to make difference between 1/2 and 1/4 debayer on JVC HD projector.
    Strange that my 285gtx is little faster than quadro4000. I can do 4 nodes with blur.

That doesn't surprise me... some people can't see the difference between HD & SD. I on the other hand can clearly & easily see a difference between 1/4 res and 1/2 res. The difference is even more acute in formats where the viewers eyes will be right next to the broadcast medium. The effect is akin to having a blur node on the entire clip especially with up close shots.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/

I was refering to significant difference that could affect your grading.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar Colancevski View Post
    Maybe my eyes are not OK, but I find very difficult to make difference between 1/2 and 1/4 debayer on JVC HD projector.
    Strange that my 285gtx is little faster than quadro4000. I can do 4 nodes with blur.
    Not strange, the geforce cards are more powerful then the quadro, it's just that they are tweaked and optimized for Open GL, which the geforce isn't.

As for the 1/2 and 1/4 I clearly see a difference, sharp edges are jittery.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Links
    Epic Dragon & Canon CN-E street test
    Red Epic - Noise Reduction Test - Stockholm 2014
    Red Epic - Stockholm HDRx Test

Notice the loss of detail in the headboard texture and how it affects perception of brightness... same goes for the eyes. The jaggedness on the fingers and lines on the neck.

Well any colorist can grade in 1/16th res and it wouldn't affect the grading (especially for primary grades)... the situation switches slightly when a client is wondering why their very sharp footage filmed on a 4k RED camera, etc... now looks so verry blurred. The situation is even more disastrous when the footage has to be output to tape realtime.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Very nice example. It was my eyes.
    I render it after with full debayer, but never noticed that I mess it up with brightnes.
    With BT Rocket Hack comes 1000$ cheaper than MacPro 12core and you don't have to buy expansion box.
    Asus P6T7 Supercomputer 460$
    i7 930 250$
    Memory 12GB 300$
    Cooler 50$
    Case 100$
    285gtx 300$
    GUI card 50$
    HD 50$
    BT Rocket 3000$
    Total cca 4700$ and you will still have an extra PCIe to put another 285gtx or whatever.

Andrae, are you using the Apple Cinema Display as your Grading monitor? How would you rate it - precision wise?

Thanks
    Jeetu Chawla
    ---------------
    EPIC X "Krishna"
    EPIC X "Mahadeva"
    SCARLET # 220
    SCARLET # 585
    Ultra Prime Lenses 16, 24, 25, 50, 85 & 135mm + Alura Zooms 45-250mm + Duclos 11 - 16mm

Do you render at 1/2 or Full?.

In my opinion 1/2 Standard get more "sharpnest" than full debayer. Can you make the test with the same image?.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Palmer View Post
    Notice the loss of detail in the headboard texture and how it affects perception of brightness... same goes for the eyes. The jaggedness on the fingers and lines on the neck.

Well any colorist can grade in 1/16th res and it wouldn't affect the grading (especially for primary grades)... the situation switches slightly when a client is wondering why their very sharp footage filmed on a 4k RED camera, etc... now looks so verry blurred. The situation is even more disastrous when the footage has to be output to tape realtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar Colancevski View Post
    Very nice example. It was my eyes.
    I render it after with full debayer, but never noticed that I mess it up with brightnes.
    With BT Rocket Hack comes 1000$ cheaper than MacPro 12core and you don't have to buy expansion box.
    Asus P6T7 Supercomputer 460$
    i7 930 250$
    Memory 12GB 300$
    Cooler 50$
    Case 100$
    285gtx 300$
    GUI card 50$
    HD 50$
    BT Rocket 3000$
    Total cca 4700$ and you will still have an extra PCIe to put another 285gtx or whatever.

The problem with the above configuration is rendering out to compressed file formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Maslen, Blackmagic Design
    "Compressed formats may or may not be processed in realtime depending upon the codec used. Compressed file formats place higher demands on the CPU than uncompressed formats. Of course uncompressed file formats require a fast disk array to cope with the high read and write data rates.

If you are regularly using compressed file formats, a certified 2009 or newer series Mac Pro is recommended for realtime performance."
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/1739

Quote Originally Posted by Jeetu Chawla View Post
    Andrae, are you using the Apple Cinema Display as your Grading monitor? How would you rate it - precision wise?

Thanks
    Just using the ACD to play around currently while studyung the manual and researching the software online. Today ordering the BM Decklink 3D+ and will then try to find a proper grading monitor. I'll have to do even more research in that quest... price being the main issue. Would love to get a 10 bit monitor as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lomeña View Post
    Do you render at 1/2 or Full?.

In my opinion 1/2 Standard get more "sharpnest" than full debayer. Can you make the test with the same image?.
    I render out to disk at 1/2 Standard, can't see a difference between the two... your perception could be right, let me look into it today.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia