Thread: Copy & md5 Shell Script

Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Elliott,

Thanks for the feedback about the new setcopy app.

Did you compare with RSYNC like CODEX recomends? I have not tested that.

I have noticed Finder is faster in single copy. We looked a little to find out what Apple was doing to make Finder faster, but our focus was on multiple destinations and checksums. Copy the same data to two or three destinations in Finder and with Setcopy or DoubleData. Finder is much slower then.

That is interesting to hear DoubleData is same speed as Finder. So they figured it out. I guess we should look deeper and find that extra little bit of speed.

I have attached a screenshot of an early GUI of Setcopy. Things are still changing, but it will be pretty close to this. I hope to have a testing version of the GUI ready for NAB.

Thanks for all your feedback testing Elliot.

Dusty
    Attached Images

For anyone interested in testing Setcopy and providing feedback, here are the features we currently have:

Options:
    --help Print usage and exit
    --version Print the version and exit
    -v [ --verbose ] Execute with verbose output
    -f [ --force ] Force setcopy to overwrite the destination
    -d [ --delta ] arg (full|fast) Do a delta copy on a source directory to multiple targets
    -r [ --rename ] arg Tell setcopy to rename the target folder
    -s [ --source ] arg The source directory to copy from (requires quotes around source directory)
    -t [ --target ] arg The target directory to copy to (requires quotes around target directory)
    -i [ --target1 ] arg The intermediate target directory to copy to first (requires quotes around target directory)
    -h [ --hash ] arg (none|crc32+|md5|md5+) The hash function used to verify the copy (default: md5)
    -l [ --log ] arg Generate log files in parent target directories or to specified directory (requires quotes around log file directory and filename)
    -u [ --user ] arg The name of the user (requires quotes around user name)
    -o [ --owner ] arg The name of the production company (requires quotes around production company)
    -p [ --project ] arg The Name or Project (requires quotes around the project name)

Some examples:

setcopy -v -h md5+ -s "/path/to/source/" -t "/path/to/destination1" -t "/path/to/destination2"

This will copy the /path/to/source/ folder and all files within to both /path/to/destination1 and /path/to/destination2.
    This will perform an md5 checksum on the source and on the destination files
    This will also print verbose information to the screen
    This will write a log file and a source and destination checksum file to each destination

setcopy -v -h none -s "/path/to/source/" -t "/path/to/destination1" -u "Dusty" -o "Sandust" -p "setcopy"

This will copy the /path/to/source/ folder and all files within to /path/to/destination1
    This will perform no checksums
    This will print verbose information to the screen
    This will write a log file to the destination
    In the log file it will list Dusty as Data Manager, Sandust as the Production Company,and setcopy as the Project

setcopy -v -h md5+ -s "/path/to/source/NO NAME/" -t "/path/to/destination1" -r "Canon5d_001"

This will copy the /path/to/source/NO NAME/ folder and all files within to /path/to/destination1
    This will perform an md5 checksum on the source and on the destination files
    This will write a log file to the destination
    This will rename NO NMAE to Canon5d_001 on all destinations

setcopy -v -h md5+ -s "/path/to/source/" -i "/path/to/destination1" -t "/path/to/destination2"

This will copy the /path/to/source/ folder and all files within to /path/to/destination1
    Then setcopy will copy from /path/to/destination1 to /path/to/destination2
    It will perform an md5 checksum on the source and on both destination files
    It will also print verbose information to the screen
    It will write a log file and a source and destination checksum file to each destination
    This can be useful if you have a fast raid for destination 1 and slower drive for destination 2

setcopy -v -h MD5+ -s "/path/to/source/" -t "/path/to/destination1" -d fast

Will look at the source and destination checksum files on "path/to/destination1"
    This will only copy files with different checksum in destination checksum file than source checksum file
    It will perform an md5 checksum on the source and on both destination files copied
    This will append the existing log file in the destination
    This will append the checksum files in the destination

If you are interested in testing please send me your email address and I will add you to my beta testers distro.

Mahalo,
    Dusty

I didn't know Codex recommends rsync. I will give that a try tomorrow.

Dustin, hit me up. I'd love to test on the Mac....Ed
    Edward Hannigan
    DIT
    Chino Hills, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cross View Post
    Did you compare with RSYNC like CODEX recomends? I have not tested that.
    I can't get rsync to move faster than 150MBps, so that's the worst of the bunch.

Dusty, regarding the GUI, I'd like to request an easy way to enter a shoot day number, to be used in paths. And abundant keyboard shortcuts.