Thread: Handheld work and Scarlet Fixed

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Handheld work and Scarlet Fixed 
    I'm trying to gain an understanding of the best way to get rid of that shaky handheld look. I've assumed that using a "steadicam" type stabilizer (I've been looking at the Blackbird) for the Scarlet would be the best way, but recently I've come across products from Zacuto and Element Technica that gain stability by points of contact with shoulder/chest, etc. But these products also use an EVF as a point of contact. With Scarlet having a 5inch LCD (with touch-sensitive focus), I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of products (current or planned) that would work well with Scarlet Fixed in a mobile scenario, like a family gathering or street scene.
    Red Epic-X #152 ("Bonhoeffer") available for rent -- Special pricing for Scarlet-X / Epic-X / Red One owners -- Free U.S. Shipping!
    The latest CanonL Lenses: 16-35mm F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8, 50mm F1.2, 100-400mm F5.6
    Details about Red Epic Rental: www.IndieCameraRentals.com

There are several relatively low cost EVF options new to the market this year, one of the most promising is the Cineroid
    http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?tag=cineroid-evf

Smooth hand held and shoulder held work with a camera requires practice, experience, physical coordination, good bio-mechanics, and physical conditioning. In that, I'm talking about pure hand held and shoulder held camera work - without a stabilizer system like a Steadicam.

For good hand held and shoulder held shooting there simply is no substitute for practice. With more and more practice you gain valuable experience. Assuming the shooter is physically coordinated, then doing smooth shoulder and hand held work also requires the ability to move your body easily as the center axis, and being in very good physical condition. When it all comes together, its like Tai Chi with the camera centered with your body - and most shots literally trick the viewer into thinking that a stabilization system was used to get the shots.

If someone doing the shooting is missing one (or more) of the elements I listed above their hand held or shoulder held footage can easily look like "earthquake cam", where the audience needs a Dramamine pill to even watch, because the footage makes them seasick!

I've been shooting hand held and shoulder held (and naturally from tripods when needed) all of my career - and I rarely resort to using a stabilization system. Good hand held shooters can run nearly full speed with a full-sized camera suspended in one hand for smooth low angle motion shots, ped the camera up and down smoothly, and pan/tilt/dolly the camera back/forth/up/down smoothly - all using just their torso, arms, legs, physical strength, coordination, and good bio mechanics.

Since you're specifically asking about Scarlet Fixed, remember, the camera will be inherently light. If you're doing real mobile hand held and shoulder held, I'd keep the camera light - no matte box, internal ND (and screw ons if needed). For shoulder work where you don't have to walk fast or run, the ET Mantis or the new Red shoulder rig should be excellent. For pure hand held, especially as you say in public crowds (where camera security and filming permits are an issue), I'd simply fly it by hand if you have the elements I listed above and can hand fly it well.

For shoulder work with a rig like the Mantis or Red shoulder rig, the Bomb EVF will usually be the ticket. But if you're hand flying the camera, or using a stabilization system, then the LCD, with a hood (like Hoodman) would be the ticket.

If you need to go the stabilizer route, you have a lot of choices to fly a camera the size/weight of the Scarlet Fixed.

Hope this gets you started...

Media Consultant, Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?fh44=1 (Artbeats Gibby RED Collection)

Thanks for the feedback guys, that does help. That Mantis looks cool. I thought I saw a Red accessory called the Gunner or something at some point too? I can't seem to find the pic I'm remembering. Maybe it was just CG and not a real product.
    Red Epic-X #152 ("Bonhoeffer") available for rent -- Special pricing for Scarlet-X / Epic-X / Red One owners -- Free U.S. Shipping!
    The latest CanonL Lenses: 16-35mm F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8, 50mm F1.2, 100-400mm F5.6

Andy,

I've used the ET mantis extensively with Red one - love it.

If you search through Red User you'll find some pics of a new Red shoulder mount (not CG) Red demoed way back in early 2010 at the Red Day at Red Studios. I've shouldered that rig with an Epic on it - and I was able to remove my hands from the rig, stand there, and even walk slowly - all hand free with it just sitting on my shoulder. That's a very cool rig...

Bottom line: either the ET Mantis or this new Red shoulder mount will work really well with Epic and Scarlet

Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)

Thanks for your time Steve.

Happy to help you out...

Senior Member Michael Millichamp's Avatar
    When I shoot, I find that when doing hand held, you can't be tight and try to lock down on one particular spot. If thats what you want to accomplish, put it on a tripod and be very fluid with your motions.
    But if you are doing hand held, make it look hand held. Give a little play in it, and let it smoothly go around. If not, you're just going to have a camera shaking very quickly in one spot that makes that earthquake look to it.

Also, videocopilot.net has some good instructional videos of how to take a shaky jerky shot, and make it into a fluid motion in after effects.