Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Lens Package Options for Epic (1/2011)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Thanks Shane. Updated.
    Julio Quintana
    www.juliomquintana.com

EPIC-X DRAGON #560

On Canon - the 135 is junk for cine - focus does not move nicely - it "jitters".

I'd say a 70-200 zoom is a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by James Brundige View Post

The only thing I don't care for is the extra small size of the 50 mm
    Same. There are rumors going around that a 50 mm f1.2 G series lens might be released this year, which one would expect to be closer to the dimensions of the 24, 35, and 85 G's.

This is the prime set i am looking to put together for use with Epic-S, but with the 60mm f2.8 macro instead of the 50 1.4 to start, in the hope a 50 1.2 isn't far away

This post should be made a sticky.

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    If I had to go Nikon

I would take this :

Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8_____$2000
    Nikon 35mm 1.4 G____$1900
    Nikon 50mm 1.4 G____$400
    Nikon 85mm 1.4 G____$1800
    Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 II__$2200

Total $8300
    Most users rarely need the shallow dof below 25mm and longer than 85mm doesn't necessary need highspeed, because it's getting hard to focus, and 100mm at 2.8 is still nice, and the only faster lens is the 105mm only T2.0 not 1.4 (and an old lens too)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Emmerson View Post
    Same. There are rumors going around that a 50 mm f1.2 G series lens might be released this year, which one would expect to be closer to the dimensions of the 24, 35, and 85 G's.

This is the prime set i am looking to put together for use with Epic-S, but with the 60mm f2.8 macro instead of the 50 1.4 to start, in the hope a 50 1.2 isn't far away
    Great news. A 77 mm front 50 mm lens would really make a set. Have you used the G primes? I'm waiting to see when Red actually supports electronic aperture control to pull the trigger. Zeiss ZF if it takes too long.

I agree with Benjamin on the sticky idea.

James, i haven't used the G primes as yet. I'm waiting to see how they will play with Epic as well. The 24 and 85 particularly have received rave reviews from stills guys, but across the board i think its pretty much as good as its going to get for a set of modern digital lenses.

Aperture control will almost certainly not be an issue as its been stated many times that all electronic features on these modern lenses will be able to be controlled by the camera.

It is more the unknown factors of how effective the algorithms Red is having to write for autofocus on these 3rd party lenses are, and how that autofocus works when tracking subjects in motion. As well as how the touch focus features work with nikon/canon stills glass compared with Reds upcoming electric offerings or the tried and tested manual everything shooting style used with traditional cine glass.

I'm loathe to misquote Jim on this, but i think from memory the phrase game changing or similar was mentioned in regard to this new hybrid style of shooting. We're all waiting with baited breath to see how it works in practice b4 making final decisions on glass. At least i am anyway.

If cine glass turns out to still be preferable for what i want to do, then its Cooke Panchros all the way for me. Haven't used them, but have been in love since moment i saw them and have heard nothing but good things. To me T2.8 is not too slow at all when matched to modern sensors like MX and the round the corner Monstro.

My only feature work is second unit, so I hope to stay with the still glass. I guess it depends on the DP's choice, so I'll rent if needed. I wonder if the Nikons can intercut with cine primes, or if the color rendition is too different.

Anyone tried this?

The price for the illuminas is actually USD$29,995.

They were USD$26,995 but went up on newyear.

http://www.fjsinternational.com/lenses.html
    Last edited by Kobe Van Steenberghe; 01-17-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Corrected name of lens set
    Kobe Van Steenberghe
    "No worries, only rockin'!"

a team productions BVBA
    Office @ Brussels (Belgium)

www.ateamproductions.be