Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Timecode Phasing?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Timecode Phasing? 
    Anyone else having trouble with timecode jamming? I'm getting a perfect lock at 24 fps but so far 25 fps and 23.98 won't jam without drifting and phasing out of sync with our TC slate.

Also a question: the fps indicator on the top left of the viewfinder shows 24 and 25 but also stays at 24 for 23.98- is this expected? I think for consistency and for less confusion on the set it should read 23.98 for 23.98 fps.

-Noah

UPDATE- ok it does lock up at 25 fps after we pull the battery off completely and exchange with a new one but 23.98 is still not in sync. Weird...

Just remember the first 100+ cameras are not all there. These are prototype cameras. There are a lot of bugs that need to be worked out. Be patient. This tech will take longer than what most wanted.

It is R/d like yours that will help build the Red!

Here's some example vids- can anyone who's running with TC slates on their camera confirm?

http://www.highroadproductions.com/red/25fps_nosync.mov

http://www.highroadproductions.com/red/25fps_sync.mov

Noah

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4 Frame Rate Indicator 
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahK View Post
    Also a question: the fps indicator on the top left of the viewfinder shows 24 and 25 but also stays at 24 for 23.98- is this expected? I think for consistency and for less confusion on the set it should read 23.98 for 23.98 fps.
    Yes its supposed to do that. Think that's wierd? O.K just consider shooting off-speed. Want your DP worrying about why it says 11.99 or 71.94 fps and not 12 or 72 fps "like its supposed to"? So that fps display in the GUI reports in whole frames. The status display on the back of the camera always gives the Project Frame Rate to 2 digit accuracy i.e 23.98, 24.00, 25.00 etc
    Workflow Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart English View Post
    Yes its supposed to do that. Think that's wierd? O.K just consider shooting off-speed. Want your DP worrying about why it says 11.99 or 71.94 fps and not 12 or 72 fps "like its supposed to"? So that fps display in the GUI reports in whole frames. The status display on the back of the camera always gives the Project Frame Rate to 2 digit accuracy i.e 23.98, 24.00, 25.00 etc
    Stuart-

Yup-I'd make a request that it be made more accurate if possible(i.e. there's space for more characters), only because as we in the know understand- 23.98, 24p and 24 fps are not all the same thing. As it is now it's a little confusing, did the switch to 23.98 really take or is it still stuck in 24? Maybe at least put a p after the 24 to set it apart from exactly 24.

For the off speeds- I'd say go ahead and round the display, because nobody cares much about 11.99 vs. 12. There's no sync sound standard to jam to or monitor to spec you are dealing in off speeds- so it's not nearly as critical.

Consider how it works on the DVX/HVX/Varicam- it says 30p, 24p, 24pA 24pN, 60i, etc so you always know what mode you're in and it's consistent across all menus and displays. Having one frame rate on the display that's not the same as what the mag and rear display show is confusing- at least to me. And I wrote the book on 24p vs. 24pA lol- well the DVD(Barry Green, wrote the book.) Thanks for the reply, it's fun to see a camera growing up.

-Noah

Quote Originally Posted by RED,BLUE&GREEN View Post
    Just remember the first 100+ cameras are not all there. These are prototype cameras. There are a lot of bugs that need to be worked out. Be patient. This tech will take longer than what most wanted.
    Man, he owns the camera... I bet he knows that. :) He was just looking for an answer.