Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC-S (old Scarlet S35) update...

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    $12k. That just made my day:)
    I make stuff.
    www.liamhall.net

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Nelson View Post
    Thanks for the update Jim! Do you think EpicX #27 could be a Feb thing? :-)
    Yup...

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

I have mixed feelings about $12k. It sounds like EpicS has become something that 90% of professional productions would be able to use instead of an EpicX and yet it's less than half the cost of an EpicX. Am I wrong on that? Will EpicS cannibalize the sales and rentals of EpicX?
    "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." -MC Escher

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Yup...

Jim
    Awesome!

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Nelson View Post
    I have mixed feelings about $12k. It sounds like EpicS has become something that 90% of professional productions would be able to use instead of an EpicX and yet it's less than half the cost of an EpicX. Am I wrong on that? Will EpicS cannibalize the sales and rentals of EpicX?
    Shawn... better reserve your fear until you see the specs. Additionally, EPIC-X will have several months head start. Not to worry. Once you have shot 5K at 96fps (or 2.35:1 at 120fps), it is hard to go back.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Excellent Jim thanks for laying out a timeline. This helps a lot with planning.
    It is also pretty much the schedule I have anticipated since last summer.

.........Ian Sun..........
    Anansi Moving Images

EPIC X 00498 Baby!!!
    MX RED ONE 1080
    p+++

....... T O R O N T O .......

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Shawn... better reserve your fear until you see the specs. Additionally, EPIC-X will have several months head start. Not to worry. Once you have shot 5K at 96fps (or 2.35:1 at 120fps), it is hard to go back.

Jim
    Okay cool, thanks! I just got to recoup my EpicX so I can come back and get an EpicS as a Bcam :-)

Will there be an option to place a deposit anytime soon or would we need to wait until enough epic-x is out the door?

REDuser Sponsor
    Either way you cut it:

Epic X or Epic S - you are getting an unprecedented amount of Power for an unprecedented Price. The price differential is not that big - if you are shooting a Hollywood blockbuster film you will most likely want to select an Epic X. If you are shooting an indie you could shoot with a Red One MX, an Epic S, an Epic X if its available to you, or maybe a Scarlet, or whatever you can manage to get your hands on.

Shawn, Most Producers probably don't know enough about the technical side of filmmaking to make the decision for you what you are shooting on - more and more think they do, but they really don't.

It's the Job of the Technical and Artistic people making a film to educate (or in many cases Reducate) the Business people so they understand what is needed to accomplish a project in the best possible way.

A Cinematographer or Digital Imaging Technician is instrumental in convincing a producer that how an image is acquired makes a big difference - both in image quality, and in the chain of post production and distribution after the image is captured.

Now - your job as an owner/operator or cinematographer is to convince producers that ~WHAT YOU HAVE~ is ~WHAT THEY NEED~ in order to get the job done Right!

:)

Where it will make huge changes is the mid range corporate and lower end TV markets, it will be cheaper than the Sony F3 and far far better, this is not taking market share away from the Epic X, but will add so much to RED's coverage of the industry.

As an example l don't fit that market for a Epic X but the Epic S is on the money. Its a game changer for a huge section of the industry out side of movies.
    Regards

Epic-X 5320 "Neo"
    Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L - Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L - Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS - Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L IS
    Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS - Canon EF 2x Converter MKIII