Thread: REDusers in Vancouver

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    For those attending the NAB show:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ed=1#post24765

2. #12 Out of Curiosity. 
    Hey when one of you guys gets your camera I'd be interested in having a look at some shots in our DI suite. Its a lustre driving a projector (unfortunately not a 4k projector, in fact I'm not sure if there any 4k projectors in town) and I'd like to pull and push the image to see how robust it is.:weight_lift:
    Sean
    DS/Smoke/Lustre......
    Pixel Pusher
    Vancouver

Hey,

Does anyone out there know how many Red's are coming to Vancouver? I'm #725. I live in Kits.

Banned
    Ive got 2 on order and Im in downtown.

For those renting out your Reds (body, 18-50mm lens, 320gb pack, battery, evf), what would be your daily rate?

Given the price of Red vs other digital camcorders (specifically shoulder mounted, broadcast 1/2" - 2/3" CCD cameras) would $400 be a reasonable daily rate?

And for those looking to buy a Red for themselves, do you also plan to rent out to help recoup costs? I'm sort of thinking the latter, but how does one go about setting up a rental business?

Hi Sean,

Trevor is a few places ahead of me with #182 but if he isn't interested or able, I'd be happy to bring Red #351 in.

Brett,

I see that you're way back at #812 and was wondering if maybe Zoic would like to run a Red through some tests a couple months ahead of your delivery?

I live north of you folks so I wouldn't mind have a few things set up before I drove in to the city.

Hi Desert Rune,

I noted HERE on my website a couple weeks back about Silverado Systems and their pricing (they'll have to adjust their availability date). They are planing to have a very complete system out the door for a regular rental rate of $7,500 per week without an operator. The week may be considered Monday through Friday with a separate weekend rate or... hell, these things are all over the place and completely negotiable. But this looks to be in the $1,500 per day range.

My thinking is that $400 per day is a little low, even for a package that is less than what Silverado is offering. My suggestion is that you might want to ask for at least $750 per day for the "body, 18-50mm lens, 320GB pack, battery, evf". That leaves you room to negotiate and they might even say yes to it since it is a reasonable amount of money. And it is always easier to lower your asking price than it is to raise it.

I don't plan on renting out #351. If it is used on anyone elses shoot, it would only go out as a package deal with me along to operate (unless I really trusted them).

If you are looking at doing some renting, be aware that it is very much a relationship business and I would really only advise it if you know a few DoPs, directors and producers who can ok renting from you. Another thing to do is build relationships with the rental houses around Vancouver and let them know that you can help them fill any overbooking that takes place. Right here on RedUser is another good place to start, get to know the other Red users in BC and let them know that if their camera goes down or they need a camera B or second unit camera... you're available at the special day rate of $400 (dude, you put that number out there <g>).
    Clint Johnson
    http://clintjohnson.com
    Original Owner RED One #351
    Part owner of RED Epic-X

All very good points for pondering, Clint.

I am wondering if the rate of $7,500 for a week rental is too excessive? That's already 1/4 the cost of a complete Red system.

The $400 daily rate I quoted, I'm just throwing out there based on the rental rate of similar equipment in that price range of $25,000-$35,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rune View Post
    I am wondering if the rate of $7,500 for a week rental is too excessive? That's already 1/4 the cost of a complete Red system.
    The way rental houses USUALLY figure out the rental day/week rate is by dividing the total cost of the rental package by 30, which gives them the day rate for particular package. Weekly rate is usually day rate times three (what they call a 'three day week'). Of course it all depends on supply and dement, also. But then again, they all have different ways of calculating rates, this is just one of them. The question you need to ask yourself is how fast you want the camera to pay for itself, and how many people will pay your price.

$1500/day seems about right for the first little while. Then I'd think it could go down to $1200/day.

9. #19 Kamloops, BC 
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rune View Post
    All very good points for pondering, Clint.

The $400 daily rate I quoted, I'm just throwing out there based on the rental rate of similar equipment in that price range of $25,000-$35,000.
    Just saying Hi to all. I'm in Kamloops, BC. I'm planning on ordering a package later this year. Although I know it will be a wait, just thought I'd let you know that there are others in BC. I've followed RED since thrst announcements on DVX.com. I use Arri, JVCX2, DVX100B. FCS.
    Later everyone...Lundgren@shaw.ca
    "Look within for that which you seek, seeks you"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Johnson View Post
    I see that you're way back at #812 and was wondering if maybe Zoic would like to run a Red through some tests a couple months ahead of your delivery?
    Hey Clint, that would be great! check your PM.