Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: The Big Mistake...

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Retar View Post
    I hope i'm wrong, I live and breath football (soccer) and 4K 3D games would be amazing.
    The fact that you hope you are wrong is the absolute reason why you are... :-)

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I hope this thread gets 200,000 views.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

Jim
    I learnt long ago never to bet against smart people, so I won't bet against your vision. To see what you gave achieved in the last 5 years is nothing short of amazing.

The fact that REDray is in exhistance says that you know where you are taking this. So we have an affordable 4k delivery system for professionals, prosumers and consumers.

If some of the companies you mention can now deliver an affordable viewing product whether that's projector or monitor, and they are 3D compatible, then I think your vision is spot on.

I think in within 5 years we'll be talking that 4K was good but there will always be improvements and things will always get better. Technology will continue to move forward.

Steve
    REDucated at REDUCATION #003 // TA @ REDucation UK 2011 - 2014
    EPIC-X #1412 "Futurist"

Web: www.futuristfilm.com / www.futuristdigital.com
    Twitter: futuristfilm / 5KFuturist

Quote Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post

My guess for a while has been that the RedRay/Redcode RGB program that we hear very little about, is the next most important revolution from RED after RedRAW...
    agree...delivery is the real holy grail, and affordable, scaleable delivery is the real frontier - that has even been true with 1080. our delivery systems are mostly crap, inaccessible, expensive, and they underperform.

come on, RED RAY. one box to rule them all...

my other guess is a Jannard-Cuban alliance. it would make perfect sense.

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post

my other guess is a Jannard-Cuban alliance. it would make perfect sense.
    I just need Mark's contact info... :-)

Jim

Broadcast and cable network sports production has been one of my core areas of production for about 30 years now. Each year one of the national Emmy Awards competitions I judge is Sports. It doesn't seem like too long ago (2007) that I was pioneering the use of Red One in sports television production. Sports networks were skeptical about 4k production - until they saw the footage downrezzed to their HD standards.

Fast forward to today:

IMO the lightweight (think mobility) of Epic, the EFP-friendly features of Epic, the quality of 4k (and 5k down sampled to 4k), affordable 4k TV sets, and the final piece of the puzzle - RedRay/Redcode RGB - will all be a lethal combination for accelerating 4k penetration into the televised sports market - and then many other EFP genre TV markets, both non-hardlined and hardlined.

I also think that the fixed lens Scarlet will be used widely in mobile EFP genres of production like alternative sports, adventure travel, wildlife, documentaries, and many other mobile genres. Some will shoot Scarlet in 3k Raw, and some with very quick turnarounds will opt to shoot in 1080p RGB - for a while at least :). I think that well-shot Scarlet 3k Raw will up-rez quite well for 4k TV delivery - but beyond that the emergence of RedRay/Redcode RGB will give Scarlet 3k footage very long legs too.

The mobile EFP industry is the single largest portion of the overall motion media production industry - doing the most annual productions and buying the most equipment - and sports is the spearhead of the mobile EFP industry. Again, I expect massive penetration of both Epic and fixed lens Scarlet into the sports TV industry - each for different reasons and budgets - but 4k will ultimately be the kingpin in sports television production.

Fun times ahead gents...:)

Media Consultant, Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?fh44=1 (Artbeats Gibby RED Collection)

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    I hope this thread gets 200,000 views.

Jim
    no doubt about that! - and I'm looking forward to having you share your knowledge.... and I'm also looking for redray in my private home... ;)

any plans on distributing anything like that? ;)

oh and to contribute to the thread...
    to be polemic and start a overheated discussion one needs simple shouts like

DOWN WITH 1080p!

DOWN WITH "good enough"!

... hang em high! ;)

SCARLET-X "Mathilda"

"Life is full of obstacles. They never end. The ones that get past them have the richest life."
    jim jannard

"if your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."
    robert capa

I also can't wait for MONSTRO.

Jim, any good news from that front? Any progress?

Good luck! I 100% agree with everything you say about 4K and beyond.

Mike Medavoy

Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Sichlau View Post
    Then why does your firm release a 3K camera...
    Home movies?

Actually, think in pairs... like in 3D.
    One camera is a shoot... two or more is a production...
    Chrysalis... shooting 2014
    L.C. (Elsie) N., dba nelloProductions, LLC

Here, here Jim

To the future,