Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: The Big Mistake...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 The Big Mistake... 
    I have said this before but I'll say it again, shooting features or serious television in 1080P is a big mistake. Since this view will certainly get thrown around the industry, let me explain why.

1. With the certain new standard of 4K delivery for movies AND tv, anything shot on 1080P will be left in the cold for a re-release. Several major companies have 4K displays and projectors nearing release to theaters and to the public. Sony has already converted many theaters to their 4K projectors. Epson has a killer home 4K projector in waiting. Panasonic, Samsung, Christie, Barco, Sharp, Meridian, and others are ready to get their fair share.

2. 1080P is not a quality replacement for film. It has 1/4 the actual measured resolution of film (some less than that). To make the "big screen" it needs sharpening. Often times lots of it. Sharpening is not good for the skin. Real resolution beats sharpening every time... by a lot.

It is my firm belief that hindsight will show the 1st two digital standards, SD and HD, will be considered "mistakes" in the not to distant future. Film will never be considered a mistake. It is the gold standard. It will hold up to 4K releases and you will see many classics re-released in 4K.

Don't count television out of 4K. The delivery mechanism is coming.

I started RED because I did not believe that 1080P was an adequate replacement for film. I love film. When its day is done, we need to honor it with at least as good an image... hopefully better. 1080P is not it.

(Steps down from soapbox)

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 12-18-2010 at 04:52 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

And we're all thankful you did Jim. On a daily basis. Thank you for sticking stubbornly to your views.

And by the way, I think you can add in passing off cameras at 1440 x 540 as 1080 as another mistake.
    Cheers
    Bettsy

Always shoot at the highest available resolution, then downconvert it to whatever resolution is required for delivery (720p, 1080p and so on).

Jim
    The mistake is yours if you think that they care about quality anymore....
    David Namir
    Israel
    www.dnkarentals.com

+972-50-7753000
    gdv@actcom.co.il
    davidnamir@gmail.com

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    BTW... we had such a good day at the Spider-man shoot. John Schwartzman is so good at his craft. The EPICs are beating expectations. The images are absolutely incredible. Today felt like the payoff for everything we have worked for. I can't sleep it was so good. 4:45am here...

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

Tired of saying that also Jim.
    Like preaching in the desert.
    But a mistake got some virtues like... not making it again.
    "When the ears are shut don't mean that the eyes must be too".
    Never say cut... if you don´t really mean it!
    R1#0952 R1#3092 EPIC#1002

1080p digital acquisition has an inadequate lower res pixel grid. With a goal of adding a detail which isn't there applied sharpening enhances unnatural contrast on a pixel level. Subtle transitions which natural image requires are turned into harsh edges, which makes 1080p digital image look unappealing on a big screen...because it's fake. UHD allows subtle transitions all the way to the details. 1080p does not.

Contrary to how other camera reps and "scientists" define and measure human vision, eye doesn't look for pixels on a screen, and differentiates "clarity" from "grid".

UHD does capture more detail and can show unwanted imperfections, more than 35 mm film, but those consequences can be manipulated by a skilled colorist. Worry about UHD showing too much can be avoided by better choice of who plays with the images in post.
    "Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    John Schwartzman used the RED ONE MX for pick-up shots in The Green Hornet which was primarily shot on film. His comment was "that no one can tell the difference between the RED shots and film". Peter Jackson said the same thing about The Lovely Bones. Both said they either needed to dumb down or add grain to the RED footage to match because it was cleaner than film.

For me, this says it all. The RED ONEs were a perfect match for film. EPIC is an entirely different story altogether... what we are hearing is VistaVision.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    I have said this before but I'll say it again, shooting features or serious television in 1080P is a big mistake. Since this view will certainly get thrown around the industry, let me explain why.

1. With the certain new standard of 4K delivery for movies AND tv, anything shot on 1080P will be left in the cold for a re-release. Several major companies have 4K displays and projectors nearing release to theaters and to the public. Sony has already converted many theaters to their 4K projectors. Epson has a killer home 4K projector in waiting. Panasonic, Samsung, Christie, Barco, Sharp, Meridian, and others are ready to get their fair share.

2. 1080P is not a quality replacement for film. It has 1/4 the actual measured resolution of film (some less than that). To make the "big screen" it needs sharpening. Often times lots of it. Sharpening is not good for the skin. Real resolution beats sharpening every time... by a lot.

It is my firm belief that hindsight will show the 1st two digital standards, SD and HD, will be considered "mistakes" in the not to distant future. Film will never be considered a mistake. It is the gold standard. It will hold up to 4K releases and you will see many classics re-released in 4K.

I started RED because I did not believe that 1080P was an adequate replacement for film. I love film. When its day is done, we need to honor it with at least as good an image... hopefully better. 1080P is not it.

(Steps down from soapbox)

Jim
    Then why does your firm release a 3K camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post

Jim
    Can't wait to have a 4K display in my home. And to be able to buy 4K content on Red 4K media.

http://www.SolarSystemStudio.com/

EPIC DRAGON - For Rent - Available Now