Thread: RED Epic @ REDucation

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED Epic @ REDucation 

Amazing opportunity to get hours of RED Epic exposure with Ted walking us through. Per Ted's request I'm proactively starting this thread to share a bit of the info he's shared with us. Right now we're viewing the menu of a RED One through the HD-SDI feed from the RED Epic. Ridiculousness.

He showed us what appeared to be engineering build 56 with a Canon 85mm 1.2 prime. Ted shared the codec nomenclature could be evolving to reflect the specific compression ration the Epic is recording: "This is 2nd gen, much more advanced stuff [than previous RED models]."

The autofocus system is sick. There are 21 focus cells in the system and three focus menu options: auto, focus and POINT. You do have the ability to drag your finger across the touch screen to follow focus, etc. Wow.

There are two High Dynamic Range formats: eHDR™™ and HDRx™™. HDR is a process of recording two .R3D streams in camera with essentially 18 stops of latitude. The A frame records at normal exposure, the B frame records up to 6 stops (assignable). Easy HDR mode (eHDR™™) combines the two streams in camera, HDRx™™ provides the streams seperately. This may be described as a similar process to beam splitting workflows except that this is all happening in camera. Sweet.

<pausing for REDucation Certificate hand outs and applause>

OK that was cool, big group lots of applause good times. I'd do this again in a heartbeat. Now to some more notes.

There will be the possibility to mount a kipro mini and record the output of the Epic over HD-SDI. You will be able to physically lock two RED cameras for 3D. Someone else may have more details on how this works, though I should stress Ted was seriously excited about this. locking sensors for 3D seems to be his favorite new option.

There will be more flexible frame rates: 3k @ 160 fps and 2k @ 225 fps. There will be multiple viewing outputs so the DP can review false color while the client still sees the redspace image. A lot less confusion and explanation on set. There will be 1080p and 2k outputs (?) I think this is right from my notes but my handwriting is messy here.

Finally, the Epic will support stabilization externally (i.e. from a Canon lens) and there will be a pre-record mode that will potentially trump the 5 second buffer currently available on RED One's.

Overall I can't more highly recommend the REDucation experience. Aside from the great hands on resources, I've had the opportunity to meet and start relationships with some of the best people in the biz. Also got to scren to movies in the 4k theater after class. The bomb. Kudos to Creatasphere, Ted and Mark for putting on an awesome show. Muchos gracias.
    Peter Salvia
    Manager - Creative Services
    Disney ABC Television Group
    Scarlet-X #00366 "Athena"

GREAT POST!~!!
    Luis Flores Jr - Shooting CHUCK HANK and THE SAN DIEGO TWINS & RUNNER -

EPIC DRAGONS #202, #1031
    EPIC-M Cameras #960, #1046
    EPIC-X Camera #300

Los Angeles

GOOGULPLX@aol.com
    (805) 822-9870 ce

great post Peter and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Salvia View Post
    The autofocus system is sick. There are 21 focus cells in the system and three focus menu options: auto, focus and POINT. You do have the ability to drag your finger across the touch screen to follow focus, etc. Wow.
    This is one of my favourite features when it was announced as it will give the ability for independent filmmakers and low budget filmmakers who cannot afford a big crew to keep great focus.

Did Ted show an example of the touchscreen to follow focus? It it that you just keep your finger on the screen and drag or can you pick say a persons head, and if they move toward the camerait automatically follows? Any more informtion on this would be great.

Overall I can't more highly recommend the REDucation experience. Aside from the great hands on resources, I've had the opportunity to meet and start relationships with some of the best people in the biz. Also got to scren to movies in the 4k theater after class. The bomb. Kudos to Creatasphere, Ted and Mark for putting on an awesome show. Muchos gracias.
    I miss REDucations. I was on #003 back last December and it was the best experience of training that i have ever had, and I've been on my fair share of courses! The REDucation experience has changed and just got better and better, so much so, as I am thinking about making it a yearly trip just so I can keep up to date with the technology, workflows, process and best practice.

I would echo your comments so say that REDucation is more than worth the money and it caters to everyone, from people with little/no RED experience through to the seasoned professionals of the community. I have made contacts and friends from#003 that i still keep in contact with and who I ask questions to and who are more than forthcoming with their time and assistance.

Spread the REDucation love!

Congrats Ted and Mark.

Steve
    REDucated at REDUCATION #003 // Instructor & Course Producer for REDucation Worldwide 2011 - 2018
    Weapon Helium 8K S35 #06258 "Futurist JSSJ"

Web: www.snjohnson.com / www.futuristfilm.com / www.futuristdigital.com
    Twitter: @snjfilmmaker / @futuristfilm / @8KFuturist
    Instagram: snj@filmmaker

I was at the last Reducation, sounds like this one was even better...and you had the EPIC....lucky
    Antonio "Pipas" Forjaz from Maputo, Mozambique
    HELIUM S35 #1962
    HELIUM W #7785
    RAVEN #187
    No longer with me my RED MX SSD #6340
    www.pipasforjaz.com
    www.mahlafilmes.com
    Apple Certified Pro FCP 6
    REDucation MX edition completed

2011 for me it will be time for Reducation.
    Cant wait!
    Never say cut... if you don´t really mean it!
    R1#0952 R1#3092 EPIC#1002

Sounds awesome.
    www.twitter.com/pcecilian
    Local 600 DIT
    3D dude

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    Did Ted show an example of the touchscreen to follow focus? It it that you just keep your finger on the screen and drag or can you pick say a persons head, and if they move toward the camerait automatically follows? Any more informtion on this would be great.
    Yes Ted did show some demonstration of the follow focus though it is still in testing stages. Works just like you are describing and it interpolates focal length as the subject moves across the field of view. While I don't think this will be phasing out the need for focus pullers it is a huge step up from using an iphone app.

Also attended 3D day and have to say that was my personal favorite part of the whole week. Mark from OFFHOLLYWOOD lead the day with a great in-depth discussion of stereography, his approach to acquiring a round 3D picture, and best practices for post. Joey from Element Technica brought in their cinema Quasar beam splitter rig, Deke from The Foundry showed off post magic using Nuke and the Ocula plug-in, and Nebtek offered hands on experience with their real-time 3D video assist setup.

Now that I've seen RED 3D that's all I want to work on. Period. I can only begin to imagine what we'll see from 3D HDRx™™...
    Peter Salvia
    Manager - Creative Services
    Disney ABC Television Group
    Scarlet-X #00366 "Athena"

Great going guys, looks like Reducation is getting more interesting every minute,

Hope you enjoyed the Reducation, it's done by the best :)

Cheers,

Jack
    Jack Mosor
    REDucated at REDucation 001
    TA @ REDucation

CineCrew.ca

Yes Ted did show some demonstration of the follow focus though it is still in testing stages. Works just like you are describing and it interpolates focal length as the subject moves across the field of view. While I don't think this will be phasing out the need for focus pullers it is a huge step up from using an iphone app.
    Great News Petere, thanks. This will help a lot for our key demographic.

Sounds like the 3D was fantastic. REDucation is certainly key to understanding everything about RED production and post and should be mandatory for anyone buying a RED camera :-)

I am certainly now making it a yearly event to stay on top of these things. Looking forward to seeing the 3D workshop next year once EPIC comes out.

Steve
    REDucated at REDUCATION #003 // Instructor & Course Producer for REDucation Worldwide 2011 - 2018
    Weapon Helium 8K S35 #06258 "Futurist JSSJ"

Web: www.snjohnson.com / www.futuristfilm.com / www.futuristdigital.com
    Twitter: @snjfilmmaker / @futuristfilm / @8KFuturist
    Instagram: snj@filmmaker