Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: More SSD questions $$$$$

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Battistella View Post
    We all support what RED is doing, but there has to be some push back.
    David
    We respond well to feedback. Push back is something else...

The SSDs are priced $250 less than the equivalent 4x 16GB cards and are 3-4x faster for write speeds as well as faster for offloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanan View Post

The SSDs are priced $250 less than the equivalent 4x 16GB cards and are 3-4x faster for write speeds as well as faster for offloading.
    While that is, of course, true, there are some other factors:

1. You're getting 4x the capacity, but on many productions, you don't need 4x the capacity because in order to move through a production day without incurring a backlog for file backups, you tend to keep file loads to a comfortable size - say, about 20 minutes per card. So in effect, you're paying 3.5x more for capacity that you may not use.

2. The additional capacity is clearly aimed at accommodating higher data rates for the planned lower compression ratios. On many productions, this won't be used.

3. The SSD's are indeed faster to offload, but that doesn't really change the need to keep each load manageable in order to keep backup operations moving and not take chances on potential lost data. A production will likely need to carry just as many SSD's as they do CF cards today despite the larger capacity.

4. People should understand that tech isn't free. Sometimes it isn't cheap, either. Developing and deploying new things costs money, even if it is based on commodity technology. The need to have faster write speeds and higher capacity for larger frame sizes and lower compression ratios seems to me to be the driver behind the switch to SSD's. Justifying the additional cost of doing this shouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    In these cases, can't you just use 16 GB CF cards? Let's a user cut his cost of media down to the one-quarter segments that are apparently enough for some who do not plan to use the higher data rate shooting.
    You might be able to, but having larger capacities means you have more flexibility in exactly when to swap to avoid repeat takes or missing important moments.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

OK.

So I am somehow being negative by starting this discussion? Just want to make sure I am reading this right.

You are responding as though pushback is a negative thing.

I have never disagreed that SSD is the way to go. Did I?
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Snips...

IE:

Stage 2
    EPIC reader ------- 1500
    I believe it is fair to have a decent idea of what the extras will be and I appreciate you clarifying some of the costs.

.... I seriously don't even remember what the stage two EPIC is anymore. David
    Where has it been finalized that there would a charge for the epics ssd side module? It was my understanding that the ssd is the standard and CF module is no more (except as a future option - think still shooters with lots of cfs), and that Jim hasn't decided if or what the add'l charge would be. If you look at the red station modules both cf and ssd are $250 so add'l hardware cost should be minimal and presumable no more than $250 at most since the entire separate ssd unit is $250 retail - the side plate is otherwise essentially the same with the LCD connectors, rec switch, etc. so once you decide to go in that direction in volume costs should be almost the same.
    Save the Sharks
    Epic-W Helium 8K (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Aero3D mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Where has it been finalized that there would a charge for the epics ssd side module? It was my understanding that the ssd is the standard and CF module is no more (except as a future option - think still shooters with lots of cfs), and that Jim hasn't decided if or what the add'l charge would be. If you look at the red station modules both cf and ssd are $250 so add'l hardware cost should be minimal and presumable no more than $250 at most since the entire separate ssd unit is $250 retail - the side plate is otherwise essentially the same with the LCD connectors, rec switch, etc. so once you decide to go in that direction in volume costs should be almost the same.
    Thanks for clearing this up Michael.

I had no idea that there would be no additional charge and that the SSD just replaces the CF and all we need to be concerned with is the cost of media.

If this is correct then I have learned something.

David
    -William Blake

Thanks for clearing this up Michael.

I had no idea that there would be no additional charge and that the SSD just replaces the CF and all we need to be concerned with is the cost of media.
    If this is correct then I have learned something.
    David
    To be clear, all that seems definite is that SSD rather than CF is the standard.

Not quite so definite, but IIRC, Jim said he wasn't sure if there would be an add'l charge or not for the Epic-X package.

I quoted your "can't remember... Stage 2" because I've lost track also.

All else is my speculation based on other things announced and my own experience. (Obviously, I'm lobbying for the no charge scenario. :-) )
    Save the Sharks
    Epic-W Helium 8K (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Aero3D mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

My gosh...this is the downside to the way RED delivers information...

I could be wrong here, but I thought there is no SIDE SSD module for the Epic and that YES, there is a definitely a charge for it.

Am I crazy? Thought I read this...
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

Thanks Michael.

I was not trying to put words in your mouth and you make a very good and welcome point.

David
    -William Blake

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    While that is, of course, true, there are some other factors:

1. You're getting 4x the capacity, but on many productions, you don't need 4x the capacity because in order to move through a production day without incurring a backlog for file backups, you tend to keep file loads to a comfortable size - say, about 20 minutes per card. So in effect, you're paying 3.5x more for capacity that you may not use.

2. The additional capacity is clearly aimed at accommodating higher data rates for the planned lower compression ratios. On many productions, this won't be used.

3. The SSD's are indeed faster to offload, but that doesn't really change the need to keep each load manageable in order to keep backup operations moving and not take chances on potential lost data. A production will likely need to carry just as many SSD's as they do CF cards today despite the larger capacity.

4. People should understand that tech isn't free. Sometimes it isn't cheap, either. Developing and deploying new things costs money, even if it is based on commodity technology. The need to have faster write speeds and higher capacity for larger frame sizes and lower compression ratios seems to me to be the driver behind the switch to SSD's. Justifying the additional cost of doing this shouldn't be necessary.
    #1: Not true for Epic. 5k is now a higher data rate and you have to drop below REDcode 28(RC 10:1) for the 5k on 16GB cards. Since most people are recording at higher than redcode 28, 16GB cards won't be very useful. Even if they could record fast enough to do Redcode 42 (RC 7.5:1), the run times would under 4 minutes.

At 5k 2:1 and REDcode 5:1 (which will likely be what most features shoot with), a 64GB SSD will be about 12-13 minutes.

#2: I think we'll see RC 5:1 become the norm for most productions based on the feedback we've gotten.

#3: True and that doesn't change the cost and performance advantages over 16GB cards especially considering their use on Epic.

#4: Agreed. If you're buying Epic and expect data rates go down, that doesn't make sense.