Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Schedule and Machined EPICs...

Closed Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    Jim, is provided everything goes to plan, will Scarlet still follow approximately two months later? Thanks.

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Howe View Post
    Jim, is provided everything goes to plan, will Scarlet still follow approximately two months later? Thanks.
    Scarlet 2/3" is right on the heels of EPIC.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

With orders from a richer RED user customer base and also competitors like an Arri, Panavision, Sony, Aaton, Canon, Panasonic (all they want to see first what is going on there with Epic)...to main world camera rentals it will be about 100 or even more...busy holidays...
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Scarlet 2/3" is right on the heels of EPIC.

Jim
    good to hear. Wanted to interject a Scarlet related question but wasn't sure it would go over too well with the Epic crowd ha

Counting the days, money is in the bank.

E. P. I. C.

Every

Piece

Intenstly

Complicated.

A nuclear generator in a matchbox!!!

Waiting patiently for stage 3 Epic-X R1 # 4455. :) I already owe the bank way too much money but would love one of those Epic-MMMMMMM's.

Wait to see how much those are worth in 5 years, look at the #25< R1s. A piece of cinema history.
    Best Regards

Aaron Bernakevitch
    www.4kfilmproduction.com
    Show Reel http://vimeo.com/9036753
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2331563/
    RED # 4455 "DUCHESS"

- Things usually work out better than you plan. When you`re shooting a film you`re so close to it, it rarely lives up to your expectations while you`re there. You always want it to be better, more perfect. When you see a cut, maybe two or three months later, you come to it fresh. It`s generally much better than you thought it would be" RD

Jim you are an absolute legend!

WOW! $58,000 for an Epic-M package and jump a few thousand places in the queue = bargain. I can see those 100 places being snapped up before the end of the week if you started taking orders now.

To put things in perspective - http://www.abelcine.com/store/ARRI-A...E-SxS-Pro-Set/

Alexa Kit = MSRP $79,641.00

Keep on rockin Jim and Team RED.

All the best,
    Tom Gough
    Digital Imaging Technician
    FLOW-MPS.com
    IMDb

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Part of being an early adopter is paying attention all the way through time. I'm going to post the program here and see who responds. I'm not going to send 10 emails to every customer to see if they are interested. Those that are early and still in will be 1st in line.

Jim
    Given the opportunity, my Epic M would be put work to work immediately on a Feature in Chicago this January, a tv pilot and several National Ads... And that's just till this coming March.... MX#557 has opened some incredible doors for me, please count me in Jim. I don't post often but I always pay attention...

Cheers- Andrew

So you know the price... roughly how many are up for grabs.. and the time frame.
    and as Red "will accept requests/orders and allocate based on history"
    ..go create an order and hit send I guess :-)

Jas

_
    Jason Wingrove
    Director, Cinematographer

EPIC X22

Web: wingrove.tv
    Twitter: wingrove
    Cohost: The RC Podcast

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Actually... it is a bit embarrassing for EPIC to be named in the same sentence as the Alexa. A 1080P camera isn't in my thinking. If you want 1080P, take our HD-SDI output and record it to any number of options. But why would you do that?

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Coatney View Post
    There are two ways to make a camera body: carve it out of a block of aluminum or cast it in a steel mold. The molds are not ready yet, so the option exists to carve the camera bodies out of a billet of aluminum... one-at-a-time.

The industrial term for a mold is called tooling. The mold is cut on a CNC machine (kinda like a 5 axis router) out of tool steel that is hard enough and stable enough to have molten liquid aluminum poured into it tens of thousands of times in its lifespan.

It takes anywhere from 30 to 45 days to cut an industrial mold and build it into a production tool. -- They are articulated to aid in the release of the very hot, formed part.

If you have a Solidworks™ file of the body, you can feed instructions to the CNC machine ( hence: Machined )and cut the camera body out of a billet of metal in a matter of hours. These CNC machines (CNC= computer numerical control ) are expensive and can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. The downside is you can only get about 1.25 camera bodies out of a single machine in a 24 hour period.

Molded bodies can be made in a single injection-molding machine at the rate of several hundred a day.

While the machined part is stronger, the strength is relative to the mission. A cast camera body will stand up to anything you can throw at it. The machined body is overly strong.
    oh wow! thank you!
    did you work on "how it's made" or something? ;-)