Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED MX and Anamorphic film

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 RED MX and Anamorphic film 
    Trained Professional
    I recently concluded my first shoot using the RED ONE MX camera, or rather a pair of them because I was doing reshoots for a film in 3D that I originally shot on film in 2D using anamorphic lenses. I consider anamorphic film the "gold standard" for cinema. The film was "The Green Hornet" which is currently in the process of being converted to 3D, at the time of the reshoots the option for shooting film and converting the new scenes was not an option due to the time constraints of conversion, the vendors are working 24 hours a day just to do the work they were contracted for and adding to their plate was not an option. The dilemma for me was how was a going to find a digital camera that had enough resolution to intercut with anamorphic film, I tested every system, The Arri Alexa, 12 bit F35, RED ONE MX and anamorphic film at the same time, based on this test I chose the RED ONE MX because it had incredible resolution, both the Alexa and the F35 didn't hold up well in 2:40. 2 weeks ago I finished timing the DI with Stefan Sonnenfeld at Co3, in addition to 2 new scenes, there were 4 scenes in which the RED ONE data was intercut with existing Anamorphic film, I was amazed at how transparent the match was, Stefan did a great job and actually we added grain to the MX data to match the film. I would venture to guess that the only way anyone will be able to tell the difference between the film and the MX data is not in the image quality but in field of view differences between shooting flat vs scope. As a die hard film user I must say I have been blown away by the image quality of the MX, it doesn't have the same dynamic range in the highlights as film but I believe with EPIC and HDRX it will.

Thanks for your post John and welcome to RedUser.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Bienvenue mon ami

Thank you for sharing this and welcome.

Would it be correct to assume you see yourself testing Epic and HDRx for use as a main camera?

Please share more as you find the time, your contributions will be most appreciated.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

great news.
    one question though.
    why didnt you shoot with ana lenses on the red too?
    thanks
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

Thanks for sharing, John.

P
    Artbeats: http://www.artbeats.com

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    (if I say or do anything good, God gets all the credit)

Thank you for sharing, John. Don't be a stranger; this forum really benefits from working professionals like yourself contributing to the discussion.
    Cheers,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by John Schwartzman ASC View Post
    The film was "The Green Hornet" which is currently in the process of being converted to 3D,
    BTW, I just watched this trailer and it looks amazing! Can't wait for the movie. Loved the feel of the images...

3D conversions look like ass though... Maybe if we get a petition going we can stop it.

Welcome, John! Epic first post. :)

10.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #10  
    We got in this business to create a worthy film alternative/replacement camera. The fact that John has cut seamlessly between the two is pretty good evidence that we are on the right track.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.