Thread: 4.5K 2.40:1 or 4K 2:1 for 2.40:1 Widescreen film release?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4.5K, if I remember right, was not available untill last spring. I remember becouse I shot a film last summer on 4.5K. The workflow wasn't perfect last summer, so the time they shot Social Network it wasn't possible.

Thank you all for your answers. Quality is very important to me, so even though 4480/4096 is only a 10% difference, I'll take all I can get. I am concerned about the Color problem Patrick mentioned. I will have to test it, but does anyone else have info? I just assumed Color could handle 4480x1920 4.5K.
    Richard Foster
    http://www.fosterent.com
    RED MX #1058 "Secretariat"

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. - Einstein

Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Foster View Post
    I am concerned about the Color problem Patrick mentioned. I will have to test it, but does anyone else have info? I just assumed Color could handle 4480x1920 4.5K.
    Colors does a half debayer and see the 4,5k footage as 2240x960. The solution I'm thinking of is to render from REDCINE-X dpx either in 4k ana flat 4096x1744 (41MB/frame) or 2k ana squeezed 2048x1744 (18MB/frame) (wich is the format for my 35mm scan) but the second option is not good for a 4k DCP.

Here some fast tests I've done from original files shot in 4,5k output in 2k dpx from Color, and from REDCINE-X (full debayer). Please test yourself to get your final decision.

Greatings

Patrick

I guess 4.5K would make a difference but with I wonder 2.4:1 would look on 5K on the Epic.

I never liked the idea of chopping off lines from the top and bottom of the image just to give it a certain aspect ratio. I think the real difference maker on the Red one would be an Anamorphic lens to get 2.35 to you don't have to cut off so much when you go for 2.40
    wiihacks.com may know how to mod your wii but they will steal your money. Do not join their website, do not donate to them, do not give them any single second of your time.

JOB LISTING:
    Willing to write a story outline for either film or tv(updated August 16, 2010)

How much are we away, from 2:35:1 by shooting 4,5K ?

if i remeber right, its something around 2:33:1 right?

i like the idea, of shooting the way, your final product has to look like.

i just, like to see, the final format an set, and not going to crop and chopping the image later in post.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGee View Post
    I never liked the idea of chopping off lines from the top and bottom of the image just to give it a certain aspect ratio. I think the real difference maker on the Red one would be an Anamorphic lens to get 2.35 to you don't have to cut off so much when you go for 2.40
    It would be great to have a custom anamorphic lens for 16:9 sensors so that you could use it to get 2.40:1 without cropping the sides the way you do with 2x anamorphic lenses. That way you get extra resolution and the anamorphic flares and bokeh.