Thread: Care and Maintenance of your RED

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Care and Maintenance of your RED 
    During the test shoots in Central Park, we noticed tiny grey blurry dots in several shots -- signs that there was dust on the sensor. To be more accurate, dust on the glass plate that covers the RED sensor.

The RED is such a marvel of 4K goodness, that the more mundane aspects of care and maintenace haven't been really discussed. This is likely something you are going to have to deal with soon after you get your camera.

Here, the solution once again can be attributed to my friends at Off Hollywood.

I dropped by their office and we tested out two extremely valuable pieces of equipment:

The Visibledust LED Magnifying Loupe
    http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=600

The Visibledust Arctic Butterfly Sensor Cleaner (Model 724 I believe)
    http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=701

[ED: On the above linked product page there is a video demonstration button that will show you the entire process]

First off, the Loupe is just great. It works extremely well with the RED, fully lighting the barrel. The resulting magnification and visibility of the glass covering the sensor is exceptional. Plain as could be, I could easily see the offending culprits. Stupid dust.

The Arctic Butterfly is a dry approach to dust removal. A battery powered motor spins the brush head at a high speed, flattening it out and creating an electrostatic charge (also flinging off debris). After a couple of on and off spins, you gently pass it accross the sensor covering glass.

After two passes, we pulled out the Loupe to examine the result -- dust was gone. And I mean GONE. The electrostatic charge picks up the dust like a magnet.

I admit this process made me nervous at first, but as this is going to become a routine matter, I feel comfortable that it will serve well in the field.

I'd love it if other owners (and soon to be owners -- hello 50-100) could add to this thread with their tips and techniques.

-Scott

Thank you Very much Good Job.

Scott,

Great tip. Sounds like this will be a good solution.

Steve

I have the VisibleDust led loup...it is pretty cool. I use it to clean my Canon DSLRs and it is indispensable, a wonderful tool.

Great tips.

Thanks, Greg
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

sticky this....
    watching budgets shrink since 2000

www.adriancorreia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Correia View Post
    sticky this....
    Agree. OK... Stuck.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Brilliant! I wonder what swab size we should use..?

I just ordered one. Looks like the loupe will be useful for old-fashioned gate checking on film shoots as well :-)

The loupe is one of those things that makes you say..."wow, why didnt I think of that." I spent years trying to find enough light to view my contact sheets, this would have made my day.
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV

Quote Originally Posted by fergus View Post
    Brilliant! I wonder what swab size we should use..?
    The Red sensor is very close to most of the Nikon and Canon DSLR camera models (which are 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor relative to 35mm still "full frame" cameras, ignoring the few full-frame DSLRs). So a brush that works on a Nikon D200 or a Canon 20D, etc. should work just as well on a Red, or maybe better, since from what I have seen there is more free space around the Red sensor for maneuvering the brush around.