Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Riding the Storm! (First Impressions)

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Storm also needs to keep all the metadata that comes in the sound files.

And hopefully it is more of an auto sync like in Media Composer. Select a bunch of video and audio and tell it to sync based on TC and it gives you synced clips. Very nice.

Storm looks like it will be an amazing tool.

Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cross View Post
    Storm also needs to keep all the metadata that comes in the sound files.

And hopefully it is more of an auto sync like in Media Composer. Select a bunch of video and audio and tell it to sync based on TC and it gives you synced clips.
    Hi Dustin,

Currently in Storm you can select a bunch of Broadcast WAV files and R3D files and ask Storm to automatically sync them together based on their Timecode.

Cheers, James.

Thanks for the post Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Strangways View Post
    Just in case anyone is listening, here's what I see as the future I'd like to be heading towards:
    The post-production process will start during production, and will be simultaneously fed by many different people in geographically dispersed locations. As soon as a scene is cut and playback begins, the Director and DoP will begin making notes that will become metadata that stays with the shot for the rest of the process. An editor, onsite or offsite, will use the director's notes to begin a rough cut. At the same time, the colorist who might be on another continent can begin an initial grade based on the DoP's notes. The producer could watch a take as soon as it's complete, and when he/she checks back 5 minutes later, he/she would now be watching a graded shot in the context of the rest of the scene.

The process won't be forcefully tied to a linear progression of tasks in a single geographic location. It will be collaborative, simultaneous, widely dispersed, easily accessible, and every bit of work, and every comment about it, will be available at any time in the process to anyone who needs to view it.
    No work will be unnecessarily duplicated, and no opinions lost, as the project winds it way through many months of work by many individuals in many locations, all the way from the shoot until all the deliverables are done.
    We're certainly listening. We too think that the tools of the past are not ideally suited to the new ways of working. In particular the whole, wonderful, non-linear workflow, iterative and highly creative workflow, is completely broken if you cannot carry original media (and that's video and audio) and all the metadata through every set of operations in that workflow. We want to fix that.

Although the remote sharing aspect of your vision is a little way off, other elements of bringing the first iteration of post work into production is already there in STORM. You can review, add notes, pull quick grades and throw together an edit very quickly.

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've seen beta 1 in November.

auto-sync is great, but even more important is an accurate way to both slide the audio, as often with RED shoots, the sync is out by a frame when feeding TC to camera and jamsyncing. then, it is important to get an ALE out with all the sound metadata intact, so that the sound reel, sound TC etc. shows up in the proper column in AVID after import.

Final Cut too, but I stress AVID as it really cannot be ignored, as it is still the leader (in my world anyways) and is the platform of choice for many many shows.

Chris is 100% correct.

Another thing I was just thinking about is an auto sync function. I normally download footage to my raid. Then copy to multiple portable drives (G-drives) to send to post, storage, etc. Then I do all my color work on the footage on my raid. So an easy way to sync all those RMD or RSX files to the portable drives would be great.

Also the ability to tell Storm to auto save back-up copies of my storm project to each of my back-up drives would be great too.

Thanks,
    Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cross View Post
    Chris is 100% correct.

Another thing I was just thinking about is an auto sync function. I normally download footage to my raid. Then copy to multiple portable drives (G-drives) to send to post, storage, etc. Then I do all my color work on the footage on my raid. So an easy way to sync all those RMD or RSX files to the portable drives would be great.

Thanks,
    Dusty
    As an aside (nothing to do with Storm and its capabilities) Clipfinder does that right now. You can choose to sync whole directories or just RSX/RMD data. A very cool feature and saves time.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Colin Hubick of Minds Eye Entertainment has written a short piece on his reaction to using the early alpha version of STORM: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles...tion-to-storm/

Hey Foundry, Keep up the excellent work!

Hi there!

Is there any Release-Date of the Beta 1?
    Can't wait to check it out.
    We just completed shooting a motion picture, so what's
    really exciting to me, is the Autosync-function of Storm.
    It often appears, that, autosyncing with AVID, the sound has a little offset
    of about one or two frames. Maybe caused by ClockIt, maybe not, don't know. Anyways, will there be the possibility to feed Storm an offset when autosyncing?

Great thread, besides :) !

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias Aderhold View Post
    Hi there!

Is there any Release-Date of the Beta 1?
    Can't wait to check it out.
    We just completed shooting a motion picture, so what's
    really exciting to me, is the Autosync-function of Storm.
    It often appears, that, autosyncing with AVID, the sound has a little offset
    of about one or two frames. Maybe caused by ClockIt, maybe not, don't know. Anyways, will there be the possibility to feed Storm an offset when autosyncing?

Great thread, besides :) !
    Hi Matthias,

As of this thread http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51306 there is no new news yet.

Whilst the Alpha version has a great feature set The Foundry want to iron out as many bugs before releasing it into the wild. Expect to see a beta release within weeks however - Not months.

I haven't really tested the Audio thoroughly yet. I should get audio files this evening and I will test in the next day or so and let you know.

Thanks
    Paul

E N T S W O O D Ltd
    Camera Kit Rental - Epic, Alexa, Master Primes, Ultra Primes, Aluras, Cooke Panchro SII/SIII, Grip, Monitoring etc
    Paul Clements - DIT Red Camera (Digital Imaging Technician
    )
    London - Manchester
    +44 (0)7786 444333

www.entswood.co.uk
    paulclementscx@gmail.com