Thread: NLE by The Foundry?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 NLE by The Foundry? 
    I'd like to see the guys at The Foundry develop a NLE program to compete with AVID, FCP, and Premiere. Any possibility of that happening?

That would be an interesting possibility.

I believe you will see STORM become a full-featured NLE and much, much more.

Could be interesting. While Nuke is incredibly powerful, the more I use it, the more I find myself staring at the screen, gaping at yet another bad UI decision.
    Charles Angus Taylor
    www.charlesangustaylor.com

That would be fantastic! I can't say enough good stuff about nuke. It's powerful, extensible, stable... a NLE with that design mindset... would be very cool.

Whatever happened to the opensource lightworks project? Wasn't that supposed to happen over a year ago?

That would be fantastic! I can't say enough good stuff about nuke. It's powerful, extensible, stable... a NLE with that design mindset... would be very cool.

Whatever happened to the opensource lightworks project? Wasn't that supposed to happen over a year ago?

I think it is definitely already happening. Even if it is not their main intention, Storm should easily be a contender in this world. I really like a lot of the tools already available, but if The Foundry does what The Foundry does best, Storm should have a mean editing toolset. I am still amazed sometimes how stagnant most major software packages become, acting like their are only little innovations to be had release after release. The Foundry seems to be making what I have always wanted, without all of the silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Angus View Post
    Could be interesting. While Nuke is incredibly powerful, the more I use it, the more I find myself staring at the screen, gaping at yet another bad UI decision.
    Those are fighting words! ;) Nuke's UI is fantastic for it's task at hand, and Storm's UI is close to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    I believe you will see STORM become a full-featured NLE and much, much more.
    Yeah, I noticed in the screenshots and features on the STORM site that it seemed to already have a surprising number of editing tools. I'm really excited for the STORM trial period to start, because it looks awesome.

By the way, is there any word on whether STORM will run on Linux? Most of the Foundry's other products do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Gray View Post
    I thought that was only announced around NAB this year, but I may be mistaken.

nuke UI is much better then Shake's old GUI and you have so much to tweak under the hood with python.
    As for Storm hold on for the ride. Lots of things will be known in the near future on the roadmap.

Stephen currently Storm is OSX only for v1 but thats not to say we may not see another OS be supported in future versions
    Director of Photography / Editor / VFX Artist
    Phantom High Speed Operator / Tech

TWITTER-@filmbot

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Geduldick View Post
    nuke UI is much better then Shake's old GUI and you have so much to tweak under the hood with python.
    Uh, no. Neither UI is exactly the greatest, but Shake's is much more polished. And Shake is essentially a custom compiler; it builds an executable for every composition, which is one reason that it's fast on massive images. And you can extend that executable with your own code. You can't get much more tweaking than that.