Thread: DaVinci Resolve 7 for Mac now shipping

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chamberlain View Post
    DaVinci Resolve is dongle protected so you will need a DVD and dongle from your BMD reseller.
    Peter
    Awesome Peter, thanks for your reply. Who in the states has the packages in stock?
    _mike

"One for a meal, One for the reel, or One to learn something"

Quote Originally Posted by Miltos Pilalitos View Post
    Is there a demo version for evaluation somewhere?
    Trust me man, you're gonna want it :) I always enjoyed reading your posts about DI etc - and you're going to go nuts with this thing, Miltos.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Until it gets misplaced or someone swipes it:-)
    It's easy to mount a USB dongle inside a tower. Several ways to do it.
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Turners View Post
    Ah, the Apple Store in Hollywood sold out :( huge line of kids testing the system out there though.
    Do they sell it at the apple store????

g

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    It's easy to mount a USB dongle inside a tower. Several ways to do it.
    I would be interested to find how to do it. I'm always worried, that I would break it...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

On the Mac Pro, the easiest way is to intercept the wires going to one of the front USB ports and tie onto them. Depending on which Mac Pro, there are different ways to do it, but it's really just a header/connector on the logic board. I'm not sure on the '09/10 models, but on the '08 model I think it was two standard flat connectors just like most any PC uses.

On a typical PC, this is super simple as most PC motherboards usually have a USB header on the motherboard for attaching to the front or top of the system case.

I keep my USB dongles all connected to their own USB hub. If I need to keep them secure, like on a DIT cart, I would put that hub inside a lockable cabinet - secured into place and run a USB cable to it through a small hole. I actually don't have any dongled apps that I take on my DIT cart anyway...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    On the Mac Pro, the easiest way is to intercept the wires going to one of the front USB ports and tie onto them. Depending on which Mac Pro, there are different ways to do it, but it's really just a header/connector on the logic board. I'm not sure on the '09/10 models, but on the '08 model I think it was two standard flat connectors just like most any PC uses.

On a typical PC, this is super simple as most PC motherboards usually have a USB header on the motherboard for attaching to the front or top of the system case.

I keep my USB dongles all connected to their own USB hub. If I need to keep them secure, like on a DIT cart, I would put that hub inside a lockable cabinet - secured into place and run a USB cable to it through a small hole. I actually don't have any dongled apps that I take on my DIT cart anyway...
    Thanks Jeff for the info. As you suggested, I may just install the USB hub. Every time I look at the dongle sticking out of USB port of my Mac, I afraid, that I would somehow inadvertently just snap it. I'm not a fan of dongles...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Thanks Jeff for the info. As you suggested, I may just install the USB hub. Every time I look at the dongle sticking out of USB port of my Mac, I afraid, that I would somehow inadvertently just snap it. I'm not a fan of dongles...
    Such old school security. What happened to online activations?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan G View Post
    Such old school security. What happened to online activations?
    I've got to agree with you, there are better ways to deal with license management, especially now that DaVinci Resolve is going after a much larger user base. Draconian hardware license controls seem out of place for software at this price point, and are the cause of user and BMD support headaches.

www.EMBStudios.com

Epic-M 567

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nordin View Post
    I've got to agree with you, there are better ways to deal with license management, especially now that DaVinci Resolve is going after a much larger user base. Draconian hardware license controls seem out of place for software at this price point, and are the cause of user and BMD support headaches.
    BMD support ..?

LOL!!
    Mark L. Pederson