Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Comic Sans

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Comic Sans 
    Okay: I finally have to break down and ask this question. Why on God's Green Earth would one of the most sophisticated pieces of digital cinematic hardware in all of human history have as its onboard LCD font the typographic atrocity and "AOL of typefaces", COMIC SANS?

This font was developed by the Microsoft Corporation for the packaging of children's software. I get a vertiginous case of cognitive dissonance every time I turn on the camera and see this Kindergarten font staring back at me. It's like climbing into an F-16 and seeing a LOLcats screensaver on the HUD.

The RED logo feels like a pickup truck commercial--as well it should--so how about a little brand management in the form of firmware-flashing this aesthetic choice into oblivion?

Quote Originally Posted by pliny View Post
    COMIC SANS?
    ou are kidding. DO not tell me that this is the typeface. I vote for something as basic as Verdana over this face.

How about Futura, Gill Sans or Helvetica.

not comic sans...please please...NO!

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Banned
    Come on... Serious? I didn't notice comic sans in any of the photos I've seen of the display.

Banned

Are you sure? It's kind of hard to tell...

Thirded; as someone who once operated a CompuGraphic MCS and who owns a copy of this book I would add my objections to COMIC SANS. Microsoft designing typefaces makes about as much sense as IBM writing grand opera.

People! Let them build the cameras...please... :ranting2:

But if it only took a few minutes, how about something funky like bauhaus 93...:whistling:

LOL! The word "Recording" looks like verdana but "250" and "3200" definitely look like comic sans! How about a classy touch of zapf chancery guys?

It's like climbing into an F-16 and seeing a LOLcats screensaver on the HUD.
    ZING! :)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Clayton Harper, Director/DP
    http://www.hemakesvideos.com
    http://www.bsrtcinema.com/
    ------------------------------------------------

Comic sans ?!! Ok, that´s it, I´ll cancel my reservation at once ! ;)
    Frank Mirbach "Jones"
    Director/D.O.P.

RED ONE MX No. 2560 DRAGON No. 1319

MINEWORKS FILM - www.mineworks.de
    REAL BUDDY MOVIE - www.real-buddy.com
    SHOWREEL at www.frankmirbach.com

Okay: I finally have to break down and ask this question. Why on God's Green Earth would one of the most sophisticated pieces of digital cinematic hardware in all of human history have as its onboard LCD font the typographic atrocity and "AOL of typefaces", COMIC SANS?

This font was developed by the Microsoft Corporation for the packaging of children's software. I get a vertiginous case of cognitive dissonance every time I turn on the camera and see this Kindergarten font staring back at me. It's like climbing into an F-16 and seeing a LOLcats screensaver on the HUD.

The RED logo feels like a pickup truck commercial--as well it should--so how about a little brand management in the form of firmware-flashing this aesthetic choice into oblivion?

As a professionally trained graphic designer, I have been long wanted to bring this out. Jim's team is busy in getting the cameras built and delivered. So a solid Red branding is not on his most urgent to do list. So I think at some point Jim will think about re-brand this product.

The current Red logo(big'o red dot), heavy metal type treatment, event this Reduser(Machined aluminum+Carbon weave)logo all speak one thing: Industrial. Is it a correct branding message for a very powerful creative tool? I don't know. But it sure fits the Oakley, Hummer, Military, Hot Babes, CNC machining, SciFi, in your face theme. At many times, I felt this is the perfect camera for Michael Bay to shoot Transformer 2. Red One will fit right in. I like to think Red One to be a powerful paint brush for filmmakers. So maybe a little creativity, subtlety and elegance might help the branding of it.
    red one: 1030