Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC and Alexa...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 EPIC and Alexa... 
    Well... given the post about DR by monitor path, I guess it is time to post our tests. We shot the Alexa and EPIC Tattoo prototype "Presto" a couple of days ago. Here are our results. We acknowledge that everyone has their favorite way of testing... ours uses the DSC charts. We also acknowledge that we have EPICs and no one else does. Oh, well...

1st, Dynamic Range. Congratulations to Arri on a job well done with Alexa. It now looks like there are two cameras that make great film alternative options.

Here is the Dynamic Range test we did using the DSC chart. I'd give a slight advantage to the Alexa which was designed with a larger pixel than Epic.

Now resolution. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

And the resolution charts...

We believe that everyone should do their own testing. One thing to remember is that RED believes that resolution matters.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Now that's what I am talking about...

Peter

PS: Jim - is that banding artifact on the third group from the top because of black-shading (or the lack thereof)?
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    BTW... the circles are 2K and the graphs are 4K..

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 07-16-2010 at 01:59 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    Now that's what I am talking about...

Peter

PS: Jim - is that banding artifact on the third group from the top because of black-shading (or the lack thereof)?
    You are actually seeing the streaks on the chart. That is what resolutions is all about.

Jim

Banned
    What lenses were used on the cameras?

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D Data View Post
    What lenses were used on the cameras?
    85mm RPP prime on both cameras.

Wow, that's a huge difference in resolution!

I can control my scene contrast and a small difference isn't a big deal for me.
    But I can't add resolution to a camera if it's not there to begin with.

The difference between the resolutions is staggering. Epic, even. Given that with EPIC we have the freedom of RAW, and both cameras have decent dynamic range to begin with, you certainly chose the right balance in going for resolution rather than highest possible DR. In real world, no one will notice the Alexa's slightly better theoretical DR, but everyone will notice the difference in resolution.

Congratulations to everyone at Red, this is a great achievement.

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Additional note... 5K (5120x2560) is approximately 6.5 time the resolution of 1080P. If you take measured resolution of 4K vs. 1.65K, it is approximately 5.5 times the resolution.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    You are actually seeing the streaks on the chart. That is what resolutions is all about.

Jim
    Normally I see this on a underexposed RED ONE (non-MX) without black-shading. I just thought You are still ironing out the firmware. Reading Your response makes me that much more relaxed...

You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com