Thread: "HAWKE" Screening on Channel 10 soon

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe D'Arcy View Post
    'Hawke' is replacing 'the Good wife.' History repeating itself.
    haha!

2. #12 does anyone know where I can watch Hawke? 
    Banned
    im from the UK and really would like to watch it, iv tried channel 10's website, but it would not allow me because im not from australia, so if anyone knows where i can watch it online, please let me know, thanks :)

You might have to wait until a DVD release; I don't know if it's been sold overseas.
    Cail Young
    Problem Solver
    Inspiration Studios, Melbourne, Australia

There where moments where I wished they would ND the windows and some exteriors that called for a graduate ND, there was a bit too much clipping in the highlights (nothing against red... it might have been clipped out on film too) I also thought that it was perhaps a bit too high key and soft in lighting but over all it was nice looking (still I prefer the ABC telemovie - Three Acts Of Murder, shot on '18 and I think '01 but then again I know the director so I'm a bit partial)

I think this particular film was shot on the camera package owned by Inspiration Studios (I'd like to say because I saw the Cook S4 - used on "Lowdown" and "Vand Deimon's Land" but honestly I checked the credits) But an S4 on a steadicam :( (oh well a friend of mine had to survivie a BL2 with a very old anamorphic zoom so I guess a red w/an S4 is nothing...)

Hi Cail,
    Watched 'Hawke' last night with my family and a friend. It was very well done all round. The lead actors were very convincing as well. Congrats to the team.

Regards,

Joe
    Writer/Director
    Red 3166

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Nielssen View Post
    There where moments where I wished they would ND the windows and some exteriors that called for a graduate ND, there was a bit too much clipping in the highlights (nothing against red... it might have been clipped out on film too) I also thought that it was perhaps a bit too high key and soft in lighting but over all it was nice looking
    That's a discussion to have with Graeme Wood. I know there was some concern in preproduction about high key and backlit scenes but after the first few scenes through rushes we weren't concerned about keeping everything in the grade. Bear in mind that they may not have wanted to see outside in certain locations due to cheating the geography.

I think this particular film was shot on the camera package owned by Inspiration Studios (I'd like to say because I saw the Cook S4 - used on "Lowdown" and "Vand Deimon's Land" but honestly I checked the credits)
    I think you're right :) We didn't supply Lowdown but it was a RED show. Van Diemen's Land was supplied by us, yes.

But an S4 on a steadicam :( (oh well a friend of mine had to survivie a BL2 with a very old anamorphic zoom so I guess a red w/an S4 is nothing...)
    The steadicam rig would have been using CF cards and a clipon mattebox, so total mass on the rig would have been around 8kg (17.5lbs) - on par with any 35mm rig.
    Cail Young
    Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Nielssen View Post

I think this particular film was shot on the camera package owned by Inspiration Studios (I'd like to say because I saw the Cook S4 - used on "Lowdown" and "Vand Deimon's Land" but honestly I checked the credits) But an S4 on a steadicam :( (oh well a friend of mine had to survivie a BL2 with a very old anamorphic zoom so I guess a red w/an S4 is nothing...)
    Lowdown wasn't shot with s4s aside from only a few shots. *We had a Cooke 15-40 t2 zoom on most of the time. *The camera package was also ex Lemac.

Most primes are fine with RED. *I'm currently shooting Offspring and we use a fair bit of Steadicam. *Our Steadicam lens is the little known but very lightweight 17-35 Canon / Century.

The main issue isn't so much the weight as that the red is a very LONG camera with a higher center of gravity and it makes some Steadicam moves a bit harder.

I missed out on seeing Hawke but everyones been talking it up.

jb
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    A blog

Congratulations Cail and all the cast and crew. It looked great and rated its arse off. Roxburgh was awesome, as usual.
    Cheers
    Bettsy

Just watched it. Really well done from all points of view. I noticed the ND stuff but who cares, it's an artistic decision and it did make it feel very 1991, when windows weren't tinted to the degree they are now.

I would love to know about the post process. It has a great look and I would like to know the steps they took to get from R3Ds to the final.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    I would love to know about the post process. It has a great look and I would like to know the steps they took to get from R3Ds to the final.
    In broad strokes:

Redrushes to Prores 1080 overnight.
    Sync with sound and multiclips in FCP (my chump job :)
    Edit.
    Locked edit comes in as XML to Monkey Extract, export DPXs, import into Color and grade from DPX. As Hawke was Build 17 there was some LUT work required to simplify grading.
    Mastered to HDCAM with Dolby E sound for the network - the files and grading data exists to make an HDCAM SR master but nobody wanted one.

The Red Rocket has changed how we work now, but that was the path then.
    Cail Young
    Problem Solver