Thread: "HAWKE" Screening on Channel 10 soon

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks Cail!

Are you telling me that was graded in Color and mastered to tape without any further processing?

It looks fantastic!

Who did the grade?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    Just watched it. Really well done from all points of view. I noticed the ND stuff but who cares, it's an artistic decision and it did make it feel very 1991, when windows weren't tinted to the degree they are now.
    I didn't get to watch it, just managed to catch bits and pieces at the start while juggling something else but I agree with what you said here. What I did see seemed to be an artistic decision to make it look appropriate for the period, for nostalgic purposes which I thought was fitting.

Most of the time I thought that yes, the nice bright windows certainly gave a nice textured but soft light, and some could argue that it was a style decision with it adding to the period look (heck it would have been hard to get permission to ND the windows of Kiriabilly house ect. with the standard "sprite and squeegee") there was however one scene where Hazel Hawke looks out the window and we see open white, this would have been fine had it not been that we are ment to be able to see Bobs Grandfather. Oh well... it was only a small part of the film and the couple of scenes with clipped out windows certainly didnt take away from what was otherwise a very good piece of television - I wish other shows on channel ten looked this good, it's kinda sad when it can be argued that Masterchef looks nicer than Rush...
    Last edited by Fred Nielssen; 07-21-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Only posted half of reply

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    Thanks Cail!

Are you telling me that was graded in Color and mastered to tape without any further processing?

It looks fantastic!

Who did the grade?

Jim
    I'm 99% sure it was rendered out from Color and laid down to tape in FCP. Will check tomorrow.

Marcus Smith at Blue Post graded it, and he is also handling Offspring (as mentioned by John a few posts ago) and some episodes of Rush (shot on F900) :)
    Cail Young
    Problem Solver
    Inspiration Studios, Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Nielssen View Post
    - I wish other shows on channel ten looked this good, it's kinda sad when it can be argued that Masterchef looks nicer than Rush...
    If only TEN actually screened HD. They only screen SD. Their HD channel is sports only......

jb
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia
    www.johnbrawley.com
    A blog

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    If only TEN actually screened HD. They only screen SD. Their HD channel is sports only......

jb
    It really sucks. ABC have made the same mistake with News 24
    Cail Young
    Problem Solver

Though if I had to choose, I'd rather watch high quality beautiful SD content - with time/effort/*money* put into lighting/grading than than ugly crap HD for the sake of being HD content with minimal effort put into it (those 16mm bbc documentaries from the 90s/early 00s where beautiful, meanwhile some of these new nature docos, being marketed for being shot in HD and therefor beautiful** are absolute crap...) But then you shouldn't really have to choose between one or the other - I have no idea why 1HD, a channel with less than 2% of the audience share gets to be in HD while the standard 10 with 10x the viewers doesn't, maybe sports sell better when in HD (anyway 1 HD is basically xtreme poker, paintball, slamball, reruns of games played in the 90s....)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Nielssen View Post
    Though if I had to choose, I'd rather watch high quality beautiful SD content - with time/effort/*money* put into lighting/grading than than ugly crap HD for the sake of being HD content with minimal effort put into it
    Thing is, much like Hawke, a lot of that beautiful SD content is actually HD content being downscaled for broadcast.
    Cail Young
    Problem Solver