Thread: AMA RED>Transcode>Edit>Relink to AMA RED?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 AMA RED>Transcode>Edit>Relink to AMA RED? 
    Hi,
    With 5.0, is it possible to use AMA to load RED files, transcode files to an DNxHD format, edit with this transcoded footage, and then relink the sequence to original AMA RED files? Sort of an offline/online process. If so, how is it done. Been trying to use Relink and various settings with no luck. Keep relinking back to the DNxHD transcoded file.

Thanks much for your time.
    Kelly V - Editor

Yes it is, whitepaper in process. Hide the DNxHD media first then do a relink. There is a new "use filename" setting in there.
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    Hi,
    With 5.0, is it possible to use AMA to load RED files, transcode files to an DNxHD format, edit with this transcoded footage, and then relink the sequence to original AMA RED files? Sort of an offline/online process. If so, how is it done. Been trying to use Relink and various settings with no luck. Keep relinking back to the DNxHD transcoded file.

Thanks much for your time.
    MichaelP just nailed it. The way I've gotten it to work is to transcode to dnxhd36 on one drive and then when the time comes unmount that drive or modify the "Avid MediaFiles" folder so that the Avid "loses" the DNxHD media.

Then do your relink, make sure you have all available drives selected and also the new "Allow relinking of imported/AMA clips by source file". This is what works for me. I've also been able to unlink (shift+cmd + right click and select unlink from the menu) and relink the transcoded media directly to r3d clips but again you need to hide the DNx media or else it always seems to go to that.

Looking forward to the whitepaper Michael!

That did it. This option is very useful for anyone working with RED and Avid. When I did a transcode speed test set at 1/4 debayer, it basically was 1:1.

Now I wonder if I could do the same with 5D/7D if I need to?

Thanks much.
    Kelly V - Editor

That did it. This option is very useful for anyone working with RED and Avid. When I did a transcode speed test set at 1/4 debayer, it basically was 1:1.

Now I wonder if I could do the same with 5D/7D if I need to?

Thanks much.
    are you transcoding inside MC or with redcine X?
    thanks
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

Transcoded in MC5.
    Kelly V - Editor

Transcoded in MC5.
    ehm, i am new to avid, after getting in the footage via AMA link, where do i set up and start the transcoding process?
    you have a rocket i guess, right?
    again thanks
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

No prob.

First go to Tools>Media Creation & Set Mixdown&Transcode>R3D Source Quality to Quarter.

Then select the clips in the bin you want to transcode. Go to Clip>Consolidate/Transcode and click the Transcode option. Select your desired Target Video Resolution. Pick a drive. And hit Transcode at the bottom. The transcoded files now reside in your Media Files folder on your selected drive separate from your original RED files. Also, If you look in your Avid bin, you will see the transcoded files (not in yellow).

I just did another speed test to double check. A 21 second raw RED clip set to the DNxHD 36 took exactly 17 seconds. I am using a Quad Core 3.0 Mhz MacPro with Fusion RAID FYI.
    Kelly V - Editor

What's he best way to "hide" footage in MC? Change the "Avid MediaFiles" folder name?
    - Justin Barham -
    Local 700 Assistant Editor

This sounds good.
    I'll give it a try shortly.
    Yes, Justin temporarily rename the folder and Avid will generate a new one.
    Or move the "1" folder in the "MXF" folder to the root of your drive temporarily.
    That works for me.