Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Titanium...

Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Michael, so a paypal invoice would be all I need? I wish you would have said that earlier. I don't buy a lot of equipment, and didn't know how to keep track of it. I will do that. I just didn't understand why my multiple requests invariably led to a promise, followed by a silence...
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Great news. Lots of affordable Leica's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Lequeux View Post
    I just didn't understand why my multiple requests invariably led me to a promise, followed by a silence.
    Well, that's just 'cause I'm a fu..up sometimes - :-). You had a right to be a little annoyed.
    Save the Sharks
    Epic-W Helium 8K (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Aero3D mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

What's that PM button for again?

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    So, you are against powder coating. So what are your views on ultra-hard ceramic coatings?
    Elsie,

Please think for a moment about much of the content of my post. It is not an attempt to debate one type of surface coating over another for the titanium mount - it questions the need of any additional surface coating at all.
    I also added my voice to Jeff Kilgore's observation that this discussion seemed to be moving off the intent of the thread.

To address your question, first let the community (not me) know why you believe that the lens mount design that RED has proposed falls short. If you have discovered a legitimate flaw, then it should be addressed. If you have specific knowledge about manufacturing techniques and could provide a cost/benefit analysis for the community to consider, that would be a benefit for all.

However, if the proposed design not only meets, but exceeds industry standards, I would suggest that we let the RED team continue to innovate and enhance EPIC before considering solutions for problems that exist only as speculation.

From a personal perspective, I like what I've seen come out of that team. I believe that the advantages of the titanium mount over stainless over aluminum are well stated in this thread. The question of affordability of each option is a choice for the individual owner / operator. Myself, I would love Ti, but may need to settle on stainless.

Nuff said? Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Edit: Brian, just noticed I posted my original content after you had made a post. Now I see why you thought I was probably responding to what you had just said. I wasn't.
    Elsie,

Same thing has happened to me before. Sometimes over-lapping posts lead to misunderstandings. No problem, it's all good thoughts to get out there for consideration - we only lose when we stay silent. Keep the ideas coming.

I'm surprised that Red is going with an Aluminum PL mount for the Epics. After all the problems with the stability of the Aluminum mounts on the Red one, I would have expected Stainless Steel on the Epics. Perhaps Aluminum on the Scarlets. Guess I'll have to save my Shekels for the upgrade.
    Bob Rudis
    White Plains, NY
    www.bobrudis.com

In regards to Irmeli's link above, we really don't want a mount made of Invar. It's a nice thought as the thermal expansion is minimal and in some cases non-existent. However, it's an iron and nickel alloy that is very wax-like, often brittle, and does not do well in applications where high tolerances must be maintained. Over time it tends to deform under stress, it can also crack easily if hit at the right angle.

I know it's going to come up... "but Panavision (or someone) modified some F900's with Invar mounts". Hey, good for them.... Where are they now? How long did those mounts last? What were the typical issues with maintenance and upkeep on those mounts?

Invar has its applications no doubt. It's used in lots of places where thermal expansion is a concern, but does not make a lot of sense for anything that will see hundreds or thousands of mechanical cycles as a lens mount will. Of course that's just my opinion.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Weaponized Dragon for hire. 8K available... "soon"

i brought it up not because of the invar but because the mount itself is only half the ticket. the body still expands. the sensor is mounted to the body.