Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Titanium...

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien Molineaux View Post
    I'm really disapointed to see these types of options appear. One of the big costs of such accessories, is making many versions. If titanium, is really much better, then Red should only make a titanium mount, or maybe only stainless steel. Isn't it about making the best camera possible, then why have a not so good mount, and have to pay more for the good one. We will then have some cameras with aluminium mounts, some with stainless steel, some with titanium. If all cameras have the same mount, if there is only one type made, costs of production are down, and the overall cost of the better mount is cheaper than if it is only an option, which only some will order, and Red has to make three different types.

I expect more from Red, or is that just wishful thinking.

Damien
    I think you're looking at this just flat out wrong.

Theoretically you're right about different tooling and slower production increasing costs, and if the titanium was the only mount offered, they could sell it for maybe $2475 instead of $2500.

But according to this thread it seems that titanium is better in 0.01% of circumstances (EXTREME temperatures and possibly also EXTREMELY heavy lenses) and offers no benefit in 99.99% of circumstances.

Saving 0.01% of your customers $25 is not worth forcing the other 99.9% to waste $1975. Red absolutely made the right call offering it as an option for those few that need it.

Edit : Ooops, by the time I'd typed this a couple people had already covered all the same ground. Oh well...

Lookin' good!

So what is the stainless version designed for?

Is it a lesser version of the advantages offered by the titanium for those that can't swing $2500/mount, or is it for a whole different set of circumstances?

4. #94 Two Dumb Questions for the day ... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    $1500 for the Stainless, $2500 for the Titanium.
    So here are my two dumb questions for the day:

1. So are there three mount options then? (Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Titanium)
    2. Those prices, are they the total cost (If you were to just buy the mount, so in actuality, if we went from the Aluminum mount to the titanium, and the aluminum cost $500, then we would end up paying less- like $1000 total), or the upgrade cost (that is the price for the upgrade)?

Hopefully that makes sense and is not as clear as mud ...
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

Jarred mentioned how it was more difficult to make the titanium mounts, so I would think it's not the same process to make aluminium or titanium mounts. These products need to be tested, the fabrication process needs to be thoroughly worked out and approved. They need to deal with the ordering of theses different options, stocking the raw ressources, and the finished products, acording to demand. I estimate a great part of the price difference is due to having three options. And indeed, because Epics are not going out in millions or even 100s of thousands, is why having many options of PL mounts is expensive to make. I like options, and that's what Epic is all about, but didn't Red say good enough is not good enough. If they are developing stainless steel and titanium mounts, it is because aluminium is not good enough. Cameras with alumium mounts have a risk of their back focus changing due to heat, this influences on our image making, I don't like it.

Now, I think what Red is doing is great. I love my Red camera, for the images I can make with it, and I thank Red for allowing me to have the option of owning such a piece of equipment.

But I think at some point too many choices are just that, TOO many. The too many is when you have to make a financial verses quality or reliability decision. I like options of recording formats, recording media, form factor, modules and modularity, Canon, Nikon and other mounts, yes. But not good enough aluminium mount because it is cheaper. And my point is, if Red decided to forgo aluminium and have all the cameras come with stainless steel mounts (and please don't call them SS), it would not cost that much more.

Hey, it's my 2 cents. Please allow me to have my opinion. Red is obviously a business, and if they're offering these options, it's because there's a profit to be made. If it was only about making the best camera, then you make it the best. Of course, we need for Red to be profitable, and it's all about balancing costs verses quality, but sometimes this is to the customers detriment, I get the feeling this is one of these instances.

When you read abouth these options, what do you want to do ? Me, I want to get one of these, because it's better. My impression is the product (Epic) is but out imperfect (great, but imperfect), and you get to make it perfect, for a premium. These mounts are going to sell like hot cakes. Does Red really need to make money that bad ? That's the real question.

Cheers,
    Damien

PS I'm getting ready to dive under the table...
    PPS Under my bed actually, as it is quite late this side of the pond, I'll check back tomorrow, see how scorched I am, good night.
    www.c-sideprod.ch
    camera rental and post services

www.earthling-prod.net
    filmmaking around the world since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Molineaux View Post
    If it was only about making the best camera, then you make it the best. [...] Me, I want to get one of these, because it's better. My impression is the product (Epic) is but out imperfect (great, but imperfect), and you get to make it perfect, for a premium.
    So Scarlet is imperfect because there's Epic ? Red One are imperfects because there's Red One MX ? Small cars are imperfects because there's SUV ?

Different needs, different budgets, different solutions. You choose !
    Rémi
    Director / Producer - www.noside.fr
    [EPIC-M #790]

Cost of Aluminium vs Titanium on the scales we're talking about here are probably mostly irrelevant.

I doubt they're using more than $100 of titanium unless it's some really exotic alloy.

The costs I'm sure are almost exclusively associated with difficulties in machining. Difficulties in machining and increased defect rates don't just magically go away with increased production volume. Even if it was equally 'easy' if I remember correctly from my ME friends it takes a lot longer to mill since it has to be done at a lower speed to keep temperatures down.*

*Not a mechanical engineer.

I've handled the Epic with the titanium mount - it is 100% bad ass. I will do titanium on all Offhollywood's Epics. I do not think everyone really needs it - but - our RED ONE's have shot in 10 countries - in extreme temperature conditions - I'm actually amazed they are still shooting almost every single day. I'm sure our Epics will do the same. Also, if your gear is in rental ... you don't have any way of knowing if the AC really does know how to support and mount a 24-290 or other heavy lens correctly. I have watched in horror more than once as ACs put unnecessary pressure on the PL mount. Maybe it's more the "cool factor" - but I will sleep better knowing the mounts on our cameras are titanium.

Can I get matching titanium side plates to go with the titanium mount???
    ...too much RED on the brain.

I think a good analogy is the Jeep Wrangler line of vehicles.

Jeep offers the Wrangler X (or Sport), which is their base model.
    They offer a Sahara package with several added options.
    They offer an Islander package with other added options.
    They also offer the super beefed up, and more expensive, Rubicon package.

They do this, because some people will be driving their Jeep to and from the mall / supermarket, while others will be rock crawling.

If you are going to be driving over fallen trees and large rocks, you will more than likely want the Rubicon package. Its suspension is significantly more durable and it has added underside protection.

If you are going to stay on paved roads, and you have less money to spend, you will more than likely be fine with the Sport package.

That doesn't mean that you won't see a soccer mom in a Jeep Rubicon.
    It also doesn't mean that you won't see someone beating the crap out of their Jeep Wrangler-X (Sport) off-road.

Mark makes the perfect arguement here:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    I do not think everyone really needs it - but - our RED ONE's have shot in 10 countries - in extreme temperature conditions ... Also, if your gear is in rental ... you don't have any way of knowing if the AC really does know how to support and mount a 24-290 or other heavy lens correctly.
    The same objection to options could be applied to the Redmote Pro vs. the standard Redmote.
    The same objections could be made towards the Pro I/O module vs. the Base I/O module.

Should we only have one size of LCD?

Of course not.

The Epic and Scarlet lines are ALL ABOUT choices, and the ability to configure the camera in a way that best suits the user.

Having options is never a bad thing.