Thread: USA Customs on boarder Red Cam

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 USA Customs on boarder Red Cam 
    Hello

I am interested in hearing any Canadian citizens experience with taking their Red Cam to the USA.

I am flying, so will be clearing customs at the airport. I am going to shoot some footage of my friend surfing and will not be working while I am there for 6 days.

Here is what I found out

Carnet.

A carnet is used as proof of ownership of gear when traveling abroad (not just to the US) You only can receive a carnet if you are going on a work permit. They are fairly pricey, to get one for my 50K kit would be around $700 valid for 1 year

Temporary Export

You can either do this at a local canadian custom office or at the airport (time dependant) They go through your kit and make a list of gear to prove what is owned by you

I also called the a boarder crossing and US customs, after being on hold for 45 minutes, the woman on the phone said I would be have no problem with my gear.

Can anyone explain any experiences they had, positive or negative when travelling to the USA post-911 with their gear.

Just trying to see what I will have to go through
    Best Regards

Aaron Bernakevitch
    www.4kfilmproduction.com
    Show Reel http://vimeo.com/9036753
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2331563/
    RED # 4455 "DUCHESS"

- Things usually work out better than you plan. When you`re shooting a film you`re so close to it, it rarely lives up to your expectations while you`re there. You always want it to be better, more perfect. When you see a cut, maybe two or three months later, you come to it fresh. It`s generally much better than you thought it would be" RD

Been across the border many times with my gear. I bring small copies of my receipts for the more expensive stuff in my kit in case anyone asks me to prove that it's mine and help handle any hassles that I might experience.

Technically a carnet is in order, but you have to bring everything that's on it every time that you use it. If you fail to bring an item coming or going they will assume that you have sold it somewhere--theoretically illegally. So in reality the carnet is problematic. I have only used them on shoots with multiple cameras, larger crews, etc. where we're clearing bringing a lot of gear that we may have rented, belongs to production companies beyond our own, etc.

As a solo shooter bringing your own gear for your own shoot you shouldn't have a problem. When I am bringing my gear across I am typically on a job so I tell the border people that I am bringing commercial goods (my camera) and explain they are not for sale and that I will be using them for a small job, etc.

I should add--I have resident status in both countries so I am legally allowed to work with my commercial gear in both countries. It is a BIG no no to bring stuff to work with down in the States or up into Canada if you do not have a work permit allowing you to use it in the States or in Canada. By BIG I mean jail is a possibility.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me.
    P

Hi,

A ATA Carnet is not proof of ownership, its accepted in many countries world wide & has no connection to your work permit status.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bernakevitch View Post
    Hello

I am interested in hearing any Canadian citizens experience with taking their Red Cam to the USA.

I am flying, so will be clearing customs at the airport. I am going to shoot some footage of my friend surfing and will not be working while I am there for 6 days.

Here is what I found out

Carnet.

A carnet is used as proof of ownership of gear when traveling abroad (not just to the US) You only can receive a carnet if you are going on a work permit. They are fairly pricey, to get one for my 50K kit would be around $700 valid for 1 year

Temporary Export

You can either do this at a local canadian custom office or at the airport (time dependant) They go through your kit and make a list of gear to prove what is owned by you

I also called the a boarder crossing and US customs, after being on hold for 45 minutes, the woman on the phone said I would be have no problem with my gear.

Can anyone explain any experiences they had, positive or negative when travelling to the USA post-911 with their gear.

Just trying to see what I will have to go through

Correct re: Carnet not being a proof of ownership document or connected to your work status.

Canadians traveling into the US with a commercial tool (with or without Carnet) and no legitimate reason other than work to use that tool in the US and no work permit allowing you to legally use that tool in the work you'll be doing are asking for problems.

Aaron, feel free to PM me.