Thread: Which Apple laptop on set?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Which Apple laptop on set? 
    I know, I know, I could do a search here, but the answer to this question is always changing, right?

I'm torn between finding

1 - a decent minimum spec Apple laptop to safely download Red One files to hard drives on set, or to take the leap to

2 - A really good all 'round Mac laptop that also runs FCP and AE (without my blowing tons of dosh on some extra bit of speed that at the end of the day adds not a lot).

What's a good choice in either category? Any takers?

Senior Member Jonathan Stevenson's Avatar
    I say go for the nice mac that you can use on set and at home. Plus with CS5 being 64-bit, you don't need a super duper beefed up system to still have a fast workflow. The biggest downside to the current Mac laptops is the lack of a PCI express port, which basically restricts you to only using FW800 drives on set (not a huge deal, IMO). The new 15" Macbook Pro would be a good all-around machine. Perhaps the 2.53ghz? This would be just fine, especially if you're not shooting huge client gigs that require massive RAID backups, on-set color grading, all the blah-blah.

Get the 17" because it has express card and therefore USB3 or eSATA as you require.

Quote Originally Posted by noahvolek View Post
    Get the 17" because it has express card and therefore USB3 or eSATA as you require.
    Exactly. 17" all the way.

That said, I prefer the 15" for it's size, but now use the 17" because of the expresscard slot situation.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Exactly. 17" all the way.

That said, I prefer the 15" for it's size, but now use the 17" because of the expresscard slot situation.
    See, for me, at the end of the day, the difference in speed between FW800 and eSata isn't enough to make me want to buy a big stupid 17" laptop. They're ridiculously priced and HUGE. You may as well carry an iMac around set :-) I'd much rather just deal with FW800 (which is fast enough for me).

The problem isn't the FW800 not being fast enough. It's that there's only one FW host on the system. I know plenty of people who don't use eSATA, but simply use the EC34 slot to add a second FW800 bus. Sure, you can chain multiple devices to a single FW port, but you are cutting your bandwidth each time you do. To offload a RED Drive at about full speed, you have to connect it via FW800 and then pipe that to a separate FW800 or eSATA hosted device. You could always go to internal storage, but that's always limited.

Other than that, I want my ExpressCard back on the 15" MBP! Hopefully LightPeak will come soon and solve these issues.

Funny thing about the iMac... It is inferior for connectivity compared to the 17" MBP. It only has one FW800 and one USB2 host plus ethernet -- same as the 13" and 15" MBP. If Apple would put an expansion slot in the iMac, it could very well replace a Mac Pro for a lot of situations.

USB2 is too slow for most real-world use on set. There is no way to round trip any of the RED media fast enough with USB2. It's often a challenge with FW800.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Listen to Jeff. He only speaks the truth.
    cheers

J. Eric Camp
    600 DIT | NYC

Interesting debate guys.

I'm used to PCs, and this business of being stuck with whatever slots Apple decides are appropriate is a bit weird to me. I was expecting more options at the Apple Store. Not so. Basically there's only three models to choose from! Lovely machines though, and the time really has come for me to get one. No indication on Apple's site of their weight...

Jeff, You win. I should've never tried to enter a geek-off against you!! I am not worthy.

I'm transferring files on a set right now, and have had to resort to using two laptops just to keep up. I have a MBP with a firewire800 card reader going out to dual G Raid via USB 2.0, and I have an old Fujitsu running windows 7 with a USB 2.0 card reader going out to dual G Raids via USB 2.0. (This one was supposed to be for backup)

Guess which one is faster?

The fujitsu is killing the macbook, even with the firewire 800 card reader. I bought the fujitsu in 2008 for $500. Transfer rates for the macbook setup are about 1.6minutes per GB, while the Fujitsu is amazingly, about 1 minute per GB.

I'd like to get a system in place that's faster, but laptops seem to be dumbed down these days (only including a couple ports, and often no expansion or PCI slots). I guess I'll have to wait for USB 3.0.

I'd like to find something better.
    Last edited by Hank Braxtan; 04-21-2010 at 10:37 AM.