Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED RAY PRO PLAYER - 4K server - ALIVE!!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
    certainly the idea of RED RAY and its ability to make a single master and transcode and deliver in real time to any format, using the same machine (RED RAY PRO or RED RAY for the consumer) whether at home or in a theater, could represent a substantial savings worthy of a look...RED RAY applications are not limited to theatrical - that's the beauty of the system, as I understand it.
    I agree.

I don't know which "partners" RED eluded to when they mentioned they had received feedback causing them to move REDray Pro ahead of REDray Consumer, but I'm guessing those "partners" are thinking they'd like to be able to distribute to theaters, and then homes afterwards, without ever needing to move the masters. That seems like a cost savings too large to pass up, and furthermore can put distributors in a position to cut out the middle-men (disintermediation) like perhaps rental houses, redbox, netflix, onDemand, etc, thus increasing their own profits from being able to sell directly, but also removing the large legal cost of negotiating with secondary markets the selling rights of each film that gets made.

Whether REDray plays nice with DCI is obviously an issue, as was mentioned; however, I suspect the ultra-low bandwidth requirements of REDray is enough of an eyebrow raiser to warrant some negotiations at the big table.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Clemans View Post

Whether REDray plays nice with DCI is obviously an issue, as was mentioned; however, I suspect the ultra-low bandwidth requirements of REDray is enough of an eyebrow raiser to warrant some negotiations at the big table.
    Only if they're willing to open the codec and implement an acceptable security scheme (i.e., conforming to some accepted standard).

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    Only if they're willing to open the codec and implement an acceptable security scheme (i.e., conforming to some accepted standard).
    You don't really believe they invested all that research and engineering without doing their homework do you?

Guess you will find out at lunch with Deanan:)

Meantime Im guessing they (RED) were smart enough to understand the market they were entering and trying to disrupt, especially as we have come a long way since that 2002 initiative began and since 2005 when it was implemented.
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    Which to be honest are becoming more and more lax as time goes on. For example films used to be sent out on drives that would only be able to be used on the one projector, this would be followed by a key (sent by recorded delivery on a flash stick). Now the drives are sent out and can be transfered to the drive on as many projectors as you want. The key is still time locked and each key is projector specific, except now they don't send the key they are emailed as a zip file that you put onto a flash stick. How long before someone figures out how to hack them?

RR is the next iphone ? - hope Red will not end up like Apple putting all their effort in iphones while the roots have to suffer. I want a RR asap!

Quote Originally Posted by Flo Eckhardt View Post
    RR is the next iphone ? - hope Red will not end up like Apple putting all their effort in iphones while the roots have to suffer. I want a RR asap!
    As in the next big thing?
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >