Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Arri Alexa and Mysterium-X...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 163 123451151101 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Arri Alexa and Mysterium-X... 
    1st off... we would like to congratulate Arri for having the courage to step up and develop this camera. Good on them.

We had expected the images to be very similar and it appears that this test confirms that. Both cameras, the Alexa and an M-X RED ONE, will improve from here as both companies get a handle on what we/they have and do some "tuning". While we wished EPIC was used in this test... it wasn't quite ready in time.

We have believed, since IBC last year, that these two platforms would be the ones standing for the future. We are very proud to be in such good company. But for the moment, we tip our hats to Arri.

Jim

http://www.awn.com/blogs/tracking-ma...mx-camera-test
    Last edited by Jannard; 03-06-2010 at 01:18 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Interesting
    Jonathan Smiles
    Digital Production Supervisor & Consultant - UK, Europe & Worldwide
    RED Tech, On Set Colorist, 3D Tech, DIT, Data, Workflow for Editorial/VFX/DI & 3D
    Credits: District 9, Red Riding 1983, Jack The Giant Killer 3D, Rafta Rafta, Green Zone, Anonymous, Vampire Killers, Unnaipol Oruvan
    Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 3D, Edge of Empire 3D, TT3D, London Eye 3D
    IMDB, LinkedIn, Facebook
    Tel +44 7966 014163

I doubt that 2010 will really be the year that celluloid dies. Film isn't going anywhere for a while. But this certainly is the first serious blow.
    Scarlet X - 643 "Kong"
    DP Reel
    www.digitalladder.com

The Vermeer-like still featured in this article is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Charles Wolfarth View Post
    The Vermeer-like still featured in this article is beautiful.
    Thankyou,

I graded it and wish you should see it in 4.5K.
    Jonathan Smiles
    Digital Production Supervisor & Consultant - UK, Europe & Worldwide
    RED Tech, On Set Colorist, 3D Tech, DIT, Data, Workflow for Editorial/VFX/DI & 3D
    Credits: District 9, Red Riding 1983, Jack The Giant Killer 3D, Rafta Rafta, Green Zone, Anonymous, Vampire Killers, Unnaipol Oruvan
    Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 3D, Edge of Empire 3D, TT3D, London Eye 3D
    IMDB, LinkedIn, Facebook
    Tel +44 7966 014163

Competition is good. Arri has a great history, and makes great camera.

Red is an amazing addition to the cinema market, and in it's short history has pushed the digital cinema market into gear. I can't wait for both these cameras to show up on my projects.
    _mike

"One for a meal, One for the reel, or One to learn something"

Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer since it sounds like he'll be posting highres stills?

The "200 iso" comment though seems a bit dated. Are people still rating Mx at 200iso. I would have thought the improved noise floor would have let people feel comfortable shifting the exposure back to 320.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Smiles View Post
    Thankyou,

I graded it and wish you should see it in 4.5K.
    De nada ! So I suppose it's the MX for this one... It would be great if you could make this still downloadable somewhere...

It seems from the specs that Epic will have more resolution, 5K or 4K measured vs. 2K for Alexa and shoot at 100 fps vs. 60 fps. If the image quality is similar and the price is significantly different, Epic being about 1/3 the cost of Alexa, Epic still seems to be a clear choice. Am I missing anything? Redcode 250 will be important for Epic when competing with Alexa. It is good that Arri has done this well with the Alexa and I agree that Arri's reputation will be important. Both of these cameras seem to make the F35 and Genesis a thing of the past. It is also nice that Jim has respect for another real camera since he seems to have a certain disdain for the line-skipping Canons.

So did they choose both or not telling us which they chose yet? Either way it's good to see.

Also, while were on the subject of different cameras, I was reading:
    http://www.fxguide.com/article595.html

They mention looking for 4K cameras and chose a Dalsa Evolution... "there were only two of the Evolutions in existence that we couldn't rely on just them to shoot the whole movie, so we opted also for the Panavision Genesis for a good portion of the film as well. So we had the Genesis, which has a 1920 x 1080 resolution with a 1:78:1 aspect ratio. And we had the Evolution 4K camera which is 4096 x 2048 with a 2:1 aspect ratio."

Seems odd that they wouldn't just shoot it all in Red perhaps? Maybe there's something they left out... Or maybe it was a while ago before they could get Red. I don't know... but when I was reading I immediately thought "RED!!!"