Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Panasonic throws a m4/3 chip in a video camera

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    cross-examiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Petr Dvorak View Post
    «GAME OVER. Man I want one!»

ouch
    Still Barry, today:

«In any case, I agree -- that's the way to go. But if you want that in a Scarlet, and if you want shallow DOF you're going to have to wait for (and pay for) the S35 Scarlet, and that's not gonna be $4750. That's going to be $10k for a shooting kit (as of last posted specs).

I've said it a thousand times, I'll say it again -- I think Red should just ditch the 2/3" Scarlet and go straight for the S35. That's where the market's at
    »

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...1&postcount=59
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel A. View Post
    Still Barry, today:

«In any case, I agree -- that's the way to go. But if you want that in a Scarlet, and if you want shallow DOF you're going to have to wait for (and pay for) the S35 Scarlet, and that's not gonna be $4750. That's going to be $10k for a shooting kit (as of last posted specs).

I've said it a thousand times, I'll say it again -- I think Red should just ditch the 2/3" Scarlet and go straight for the S35. That's where the market's at
    »

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...1&postcount=59
    A $5k camera and a $10+k camera addresses totally different markets. And I think a lot of us will be quite surprised by how well the 2/3" performs. Ditching the 2/3" sounds like a terrible idea. There's a big market in the ~$6k range.

Also, reading more about the Panasonic suggests that it might be a GH1 sensor with minor tweaks. It is likely to line-skip then. That is a blow. I was hoping they built a native 1080p sensor from ground up.

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    2/3" is a very practical framesize, imo... I think some folks have over emphasized the difference, and others have read these statements, and feel like 2/3" is not practical, or that you can't quite easily (in probably a good majority of the shots people will be going for) achieve a pleasing, cinematic image that is comparable to what we see in films every day.

Of course, there is a difference, and I don't want to understate it... but... just seems like another talking point that people grab on to, but don't fully understand, and/or neglect to do their own comparative analysis.

I suspect it will become more clear when images populate the web from Scarlet... and DoF will become a bit less important when folks see that there are comparably priced alternatives that don't have compromises that folks have settled for over the last couple of years for the sake of affordable DoF.

but, everyone's got their own priorities, i suppose.

later,
    Jason
    Landmine Media

I agree, 2/3" is a great frame size. The last two Best Picture award winners were both shot on similar frame sizes, and both were great on a visual level.

I think the big draw for a large sensor is probably very shallow depth of fields. Personally, I am a deep focus enthusiast, but would also like the option of shallow (but not very shallow) DoF at hand. It seems like 2/3" is a good size for a compromise between both.

Besides DOF, we have seen time and time again that frame size isn't everything. (latest example - 1/3" HPX-370s outperform 1/2" EX3)

cross-examiner
    It is not even a matter of convenience only, DOF or whatever, but market opportunity.

4/3" will compete with the 2/3" format, count on it.

We can't ignore the volume of DSLR sales either. It doesn't matter how many flaws (line-skipping, aliasing, etc) we can add there.

Barry's point and from many others, me included, is worthy to listen to.

- future Scarlet customer (2x 2/3" model too :-)
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

cross-examiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Subhadip Sen View Post
    A $5k camera and a $10+k camera addresses totally different markets. And I think a lot of us will be quite surprised by how well the 2/3" performs. Ditching the 2/3" sounds like a terrible idea. There's a big market in the ~$6k range.
    It is obvious Barry is not neglecting the under $5k, quite the opposite.
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    If it line-skips... what makes it any better than a 5D or 7D? Those are cheaper.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

I said this in the other thread but where is their p2 technology?
    this pana cam feels like they are pulling punches plus Jan C said its the GH1 sensor
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Probably ought to be the 1st question...

Jim
    That is definitely a question that needs to be asked, but, to be honest, I think, "How much is this camera gonna cost" and "When" can I get one" are questions that need to be answered first.

I just noticed that I registered on Scarletuser.net in 2008. The Scarlet camera is still not shipping to customers. Panasonic announced the AF-100 this weekend, with an availability date of late 2010. I have tremendous confidence that these cameras will be shipping by the end of this year. When plunking down multiple thousands of dollars on products to earn a living with, trusting a company to live up to what they say is very important.

So, let's start with question # one, "When can I buy a Scarlet camera?".

10.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by David G. Smith View Post
    That is definitely a question that needs to be asked, but, to be honest, I think, "How much is this camera gonna cost" and "When" can I get one" are questions that need to be answered first.

I just noticed that I registered on Scarletuser.net in 2008. The Scarlet camera is still not shipping to customers. Panasonic announced the AF-100 this weekend, with an availability date of late 2010. I have tremendous confidence that these cameras will be shipping by the end of this year. When plunking down multiple thousands of dollars on products to earn a living with, trusting a company to live up to what they say is very important.

So, let's start with question # one, "When can I buy a Scarlet camera?".
    As a new poster... you just reminded me why we don't have these discussions on reduser.

Take it to DVXuser.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.