Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Panasonic throws a m4/3 chip in a video camera

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    No, they mention 1080i60 capability, which I'm pointing out, as a feature, is a bit pointless on a digital cinema camera.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 6k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery

Well a lot of television is still distributed like that right? For in the field documentary stuff for channels that still distribute interlaced, wouldn't that be a nice option?

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    That's as maybe, but it does say: "AF100 will set a new benchmark for digital cinematography." & "Targeted at the video and film production communities".

And shooting full progressive doesn't stop you distributing on an interlaced network. Interlace is "just" poor compression based on an old method from the analogue days. We can and do do a lot better today.

Graeme
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery

now sony is doing it I guess...

http://twitpic.com/1eycf3

Why in the hell do they think 1080i is needed in this day and age? Lots of theaters projecting in 60i these days huh?

well im sure lots of sports/live events will use these things too for live broadcast, thus making 1080i a logical addition. Not everyone is narrative for the big screen ya know.

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Sure, but this camera is not aimed at them, it's specifically aimed at digital cinema so they say. I'm sure Panasonic have cameras specifically aimed at the sports market too.

Graeme

I totally agree Graeme- but im sure you know how much the Red one gets used for sports/broadcast applications even though it is aimed at cinema.

I must say though I hate 1080i or for the record anything interlaced!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    Sure, but this camera is not aimed at them, it's specifically aimed at digital cinema so they say. I'm sure Panasonic have cameras specifically aimed at the sports market too.

Graeme
    In Panasonic's defense, digital cinema isn't just high-end feature films at 2K or 4K, etc. There is a range of productions just like anything else. The "game-changing" slogan is kind of an eye roller but in their press release they do say:

Targeted at the video and film production communities, the AF100 delivers the shallow depth of field and wider field of view of a large imager, with the flexibility and cost advantages of use with a growing line of professional quality, industry standard micro 4/3-inch lenses, filters, and adapters....

“Ideal for film schools and independent filmmakers, this affordable, digital cinematography camera employs an advanced professional AVC/ H.264 Hi Profile AVCHD codec compatible with a wide range of editing tools and affordable players.”