Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Avid native R3D support...

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haase View Post
    Good news for simplifying workflow but as a DP it's a horrifying idea to put color management in the hands of an editor. I've had several projects finished in less than ideal ways because of misinformation or lack of knowledge about how to achieve optimal image quality from the source footage- both r3d and just basic already graded prores. My hope is that RED will provide some official, simple, easily accessible and understandable information that Avid editors can refer to in order to understand RED footage.
    I think we're still going to have to do a bit of coloring on set. If this is all true, the RMD files will transfer over and will still take advantage of the LGG. We just won't be doing as much transcoding. Or we could, to pro-res, as reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haase View Post
    Good news for simplifying workflow but as a DP it's a horrifying idea to put color management in the hands of an editor. I've had several projects finished in less than ideal ways because of misinformation or lack of knowledge about how to achieve optimal image quality from the source footage- both r3d and just basic already graded prores. My hope is that RED will provide some official, simple, easily accessible and understandable information that Avid editors can refer to in order to understand RED footage.
    I think Michael had mentioned that Avid will have RSX support. Therefor if your DMT creates a look on set, your rushes screening and final edit screening will have the on set look. This doesn't have to mean you cut out your grading process.

Jesse Korosi

This will make differences in Japanese post situation. Congrats.
    Kaku Ito/rawesome!

Epic-M DRAGON, Epic-x x2, RED ONE MX, Motion Mount PL, Motion Mount EF, Canon Ti Mount, RED PRO Prime Set, Zeiss Lenses, 17-50mm RED Pro Zoom, 18-85mm RED Pro Zoom, RED ROCKET X, x3 RED ROCKETs, DaVinci Resolve, Cubix, Quadra 5000, Fully loaded New Mac Pro with Sonnet Echo Express III/R, few Mac Pros, few MacBook Pros, Sony BVM-D24, Sony 84" 4K TV, Panasonic 65 " Series 12 plasma, Calman with Klein probe.

Rawesome! One Stop RAW Visual Production Service

I had heard this whispered around the traps but didn't want to get my hopes up.

Well done Avid.

Everything is a discipline... and dealing with color workflows in a RAW environment invites change all along the way - and while the flexibility is fantastic, you do have to deal with the fact that it can be changed. If Media Composer sees an RSX or an RMD file, it will use it - but you do have control to change it - and when using Avid products to finish and master, having that control at the source level only gives you better control at the color correction level. And once shots are in context with each other, there will be farther grading to tell the story.

I am all for DP's in the color suite though.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Banned
    Will Media Composer 5 be supported on Windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Z View Post
    Will Media Composer 5 be supported on Windows 7?
    Yes.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

This is amazing news! I'm only disappointed because I just converted to FCP and that wasn't cheap for me.

Michael, Avid MC 5 will be release between may and august 2010?! If i start a offline project in MC 4 and upgrade to MC 5 later (for conforming and online), do the transfer between the two version will be easy ?

regards

Amazing news. I switched from Avid to FCP because it was more economical for freelance editing. Now with this news this may just be my excuse to go back to avid. 3rd party support for matrox mxo2, 100% quicktime support through AMA, and direct r3d support!

glad to know that Avid listens, and strives just as hard everyday as the competitors to keep up in this fast changing industry.

@Michael, do you know how a lot of this "direct" support will affect the media management capabilities of MC? It's transcode to MXF in its own self contained folders was Avid's main strength and draw, the media management.

Will there simply be AMA updates to keep up with changing r3d interpretations, color science and so on? or will MC have to be updated all together?

@Etienne, if MC stays as rock solid as previous versions, Avid has always been able to open up project files created in previous versions of MC. Another thing I HATE about FCP. Avid was designed for a huge professional environment, and a lot of companies, especially broadcast companies rarely upgrade, or upgrade only every other year or so. So you will have a broad scape of MC versions throughout the industry, and people sending each other entire projects. So you should have any issue upgrading MC 4 project to MC 5