Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Proxy Module...

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    I'd say make one that is 200% or ~400% faster and handle multiple streams at once. Then you get the whole CS5 CUDA sweetness but at full debayer and proper 10-bit output.

All wardrobe people, and really all departments will be writing off and buying iPads.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    RED is increasing the workflow flexibility on Epic and Scarlet with Proxy Modules… the first of which is an H.264 Module.

This module encodes a 1080P stream (high quality scale from full frame) and records to Compact Flash in a rear module. The module also offers secure password protected streaming over dedicated WiFi and ethernet to iPhones, iPads, laptops as well as broadcast to the internet.

This will be beneficial for on set viewing, instant dailies, offline editing, easy file transfer to remote locations, dailies review and collaboration services with such companies as Pix, or live broadcasting for realtime media distribution.

The modules will also support full metadata and XML for editorial.

Availability will be September 2010 and the price will be $2500.

Jim
    Wireless Streaming... oh my gooooooodness. Huuuuge.
    A must have on set and for $2500? I don't if you all realize this eliminates the need to buy a 5,000 dollar wireless transmitter!!!!!!!

Plus H264 proxy module? So awesome Jim and Red Team.
    The great thing is that this is in a module form factor..so the module can be replaced when new formats come out. I'm sure prores is on the way.
    Makes me wonder if Alexa's prores hardware can even be replaced.
    My guess is not as the only thing replaceable i saw on the alexa is the recording module.

I am a bit worried about monitoring h.264 though. I want to monitor something better if possible. What will be the bit-rate?
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

The possibilities of live web streaming are awesome.

If you look at the 720p and 1080p trailers they look decent enough.
    I take into consideration the fact that the data rate for the stream has to be manageable.. h264 is ideal I think.

As a steadicam operator, I'm used to the ugly hd-sd downverted streams... now I can fly the epic and have people on set watch it through an ipad....still can't get over it.

Yes, I realize that. I guess I kinda liked the idea of 4:2:2 though, but since we are talking RED the data rate will be as high as possible for the receiving devices to handle, as high as possible. So in that case we might be talking some very decent quality, hopefully like the trailers you mention. Might even grade it for ya. ;P

I totally saw this coming, they even said they would. It was too good for them not to do it. They wouldn't have passed this up for anything.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Sounds like a little Rocket. Hope, "in the future", i'll be able to choose my own settings and codec.

If the 4K realtime limit didn't kill the REDRocket, I'm thinking this module just might. Don't forget, people want to watch dalies after the shoot, not just during. Transcoding might now have to happen to make the file transfers to laptops and mobile devices manageable. H.264 is still a pain in editorial so there is going to be transcoding, just not with the REDRocket.

Seriously interested in hearing about the RED Rocket's future as it was on my purchase list for 2010.
    Michael "Strawberry" Romano
    ICG Local 600 DIT | Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mobile: 239-218-4452
    michael@strawberrycolor.com
    http://www.strawberrycolor.com/
    http://www.sightandsoundhawaii.com/

**PLEASE USE MY EMAIL, NOT PM's IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO ME**

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo Tinari View Post
    Sounds like a little Rocket. Hope, "in the future", i'll be able to choose my own settings and codec.
    Perhaps a universal proxies module could become available, or I would guess, each module is specific for a setting to be fast and efficient rather than customizable, you buy/rent different modules for different requirements.

Very cool. This module is going to be killer for direct to web content, direct streaming, applications! $2500? Perfect!

I'm still hoping for ProRes and DNxHD modules!
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.