Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Proxy Module...

Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    (pic of module)
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuugh! Too amazing.
    Last edited by Martin Weiss; 04-14-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Picture quote removed
    Kaku Ito/rawesome!

Epic-M DRAGON, Epic-x x2, RED ONE MX, Motion Mount PL, Motion Mount EF, Canon Ti Mount, RED PRO Prime Set, Zeiss Lenses, 17-50mm RED Pro Zoom, 18-85mm RED Pro Zoom, RED ROCKET X, x3 RED ROCKETs, DaVinci Resolve, Cubix, Quadra 5000, Fully loaded New Mac Pro with Sonnet Echo Express III/R, few Mac Pros, few MacBook Pros, Sony BVM-D24, Sony 84" 4K TV, Panasonic 65 " Series 12 plasma, Calman with Klein probe.

Rawesome! One Stop RAW Visual Production Service

Awesome. Deanan, how would you guys imagine this H264 picture comparing to the RED's current HD-SDI out? Do you see this becoming a standard for video villages or is it something you would only use if you need wireless?
    Julio Quintana
    www.juliomquintana.com

EPIC-X DRAGON #560

You are seriously worried about the damn Gig-E connector? My brain is melting.

RED, you get it. . . and I hope you continue to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    (pic of module)
    Maybe you should call it the "Red Foxy Proxy."
    Last edited by Martin Weiss; 04-14-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: picture quote removed

I'm thrilled at the decision to use a Lemo [or Lemo-esque] connector instead of the traditional jack. Deanan is 100% correct - a jack has no place on a camera... it'll only get trashed.

Any way to incorporate a hinge in those antennas? Or at least a breakaway section of sorts so that when we break the antenna, it's the antenna that breaks and not the actual connector in the module!

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    I'm thrilled at the decision to use a Lemo [or Lemo-esque] connector instead of the traditional jack. Deanan is 100% correct - a jack has no place on a camera... it'll only get trashed.

Any way to incorporate a hinge in those antennas? Or at least a breakaway section of sorts so that when we break the antenna, it's the antenna that breaks and not the actual connector in the module!
    It appears to me they already have a hinge... if you look at the nearer of the two, it shows a "break" just above the connector at the bottom, and it has a crescent-shaped profile on the upper-edge of the break, as if that's where it would atrticulate.

In short, it looks just like one of the articulating antennas on my wireless access point.

-sc

One question comes into my mind:
    The module encodes a 1080p stream - will a iphone or even the ipad be able to decode 1080? Seems a lot of power will be needed for that.

Would it be possible to switch between 1080p, 720p and SD for "weaker" viewing devices? Or even encode multiple streams with different online links?

I'm pretty sure Red will find a solution for the gigantic iphone 3G crowd, but just wanted to know if there are any plans yet.
    Leif Thomas
    - DIT -
    Epic M, Epic X & Red One MX rental

http://www.welldone.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Grant_Wood View Post
    1) What is the limit of simultaneous streams that the module can handle?

2) In addition to "live streaming", can you stream any clip from a CF card? Multiple clips? Is this managed by a web interface?

3) Is there an open API to be able to write our own interfaces for this?

4) Does the streaming server support time displacement so you can jump to a point in a timeline? ie: start=XXX

5) I'm wondering if Red has plans for using modules like this beyond the camera itself? for instance, the ability to drop this module on the Red Station in some way, and have it transcode media while copying between storage devices? That could be just as huge from a workflow perspective especially where its not practical to have this module on the camera itself.

6) Can the module be used off the camera to provide access to stored media? ie: Stream clips from a Red Station.
    [edit]
    just to clarify, I understand camera modules use something like PCIe as a backplane and the red Station doesn't use this. I'm suggesting a possible Red Station Module that has the ability to connect a Camera module and includes the typical esata, FW800, USB2 connections of a red station module to interconnect with the other media modules.
    [/edit]

7) In places where em interference or lots or network traffic make wifi impractical, can we assume streaming access is also available over gigabit ethernet?
    Interesting questions above, and I understand that you can't answer any above no.7 yet, but I would just like to put a request for the API in here. I would love to see some kind of centralized data management here to go hand in hand with this.

Ideally I would like to system which works a little like Adobe Story but with the following specific features:

System based around a centralized script or shooting plan(for docs) centric database.
    During pre-production & previz all shot plans, storyboards, animatics etc are hooked up to the story/script.
    During shooting 2ndAC can link an auto log of clip metadata of what's being shot & camera notes to this database on set while shooting using his ipad, iphone or laptop (maybe even integrated with movie*Slate app)
    Continuity can do a similar thing with their notes. So can any other on set who might need to.
    All notes link to both any module generated proxies and R3D files and use metadata to make this connection harder to break and enable automatic reconnection as media is transferred to various destinations such as for dailies viewing (Director and others can annotate further during viewings and have these sync to central database and individual clip metadata) or onto edit stations.
    Editor can add own notes during their initial viewings.
    Based on a set of preferences (omit shots marked as no good by 2nd AC for example) the Editor will be able to conform the shoot onto a multicamera style timeline according to the script and scenes and automatically place all media into appropriately named and organised bins. Viola a rough cut made in seconds using a multicamera edit switching technique.
    Basically I would love to see tapeless workflows that leverage the metadata and data-centric workflow database style throughout a whole project end to end, thus eliminating much of the laborious repetitive organizational tasks that take away from our creative time.

If Red can provide the pieces of the puzzle to make this happen within their part of the workflow (on camera wifi enables the possibilty of all this) and allow for an API or even create their own software to do this I will be in heaven. There are things like adobe story and scriptwriting/production software that hint at this but we need it to be edit suite and scriptwriting software agnostic and update itself live from the cameras during shooting.

Or am I ?

Quentin Brown.
    UK based DIT.
    Commercials, Features, Fashion Films.
    Onset Colour, LUT creation, Transcoding, Data management & Workflows.
    RED, Arri, Sony, Canon, Codex. Multicamera.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif Thomas View Post
    One question comes into my mind:
    The module encodes a 1080p stream - will a iphone or even the ipad be able to decode 1080? Seems a lot of power will be needed for that.
    The iPad is actually incredibly poweerful when it comes to video. I put a 1080 500mb h.264 video file that is about a minute long on it and it plays flawlessly.

I am wondering if these modules could be used to record to a format that can be edited on final cut version 5 this would allow me to use my existing non intel imac for editing with the scarlet.